IGNORED

WTB: Someone to pick up my Atari 2600.

adamchevy

I’m looking for someone to go pick up a console I had modded back in December 2019 by a place called Dave’s Arcade out in Santa Barbara California. At the time I paid for the service to be done he went by Electronik Repair. I live in Duchesne Utah or I would pick it up myself. I’m happy to pay $250 plus the shipping of my console to whoever will go and get it.

I paid him $200 to component mod a Sears 2600 Heavy Sixer and install a pallet changing button on an Edladdin Arcade stick. I provided the mod kit from Tim Worthington in Australia. He has both the console and my Edladdin controller in his possession. I have tried since April to get him to send it back to no avail. Here is the info I have on Dave’s Arcade:

d408dfa44be411a545a371663acc75a4.pngdcd93bc962139c194d390910fe504c98.png4da71c3983cbb5a08bd6649d0be7c311.png

In his recent responses to me on Facebook it looks like he’s now located at:

ea37b2c97a1102d101c1cdafe32b2b23.jpg

If he wont even ship it to you why do you think he will just hand it over to a random 3rd party?

Hope you get it back!

I don’t know? But I have to try something. He’s genuinely a nice person to talk to, and seems to do good work with arcade machines.

People tend to want to shy away from these solution, but have you called the Santa Barbara police to report your unit as stolen?  You have the legal right to do so.  Otherwise, $250 can get you a nice "love letter" from an attorney, but you should be ready to file a small claims suit against him.  (Who knows: you might could wind up on "People's Court" or something.)

Asking a third party to walk in there without prior arrangement, is dubious, at best.

On your side on this matter, just think there is a better way to approach it than sending over hired-muscle.

• Like 2

People tend to want to shy away from these solution, but have you called the Santa Barbara police to report your unit as stolen?  You have the legal right to do so.  Otherwise, $250 can get you a nice "love letter" from an attorney, but you should be ready to file a small claims suit against him.  (Who knows: you might could wind up on "People's Court" or something.)

Asking a third party to walk in there without prior arrangement, is dubious, at best.

On your side on this matter, just think there is a better way to approach it than sending over hired-muscle.

I’m not looking for hired muscle. I’m looking for someone to nicely contact Dave and go get my console for me. Maybe this isn’t the best approach, but I’m hoping it can be resolved without police or lawyers. If it comes to police and lawyers then so be it. He honestly is a nice guy. I’m not sure why he’s decided to keep my console and stop responding to me. But it’s been long enough for sure.

That is about 45 minutes from our house, I am too busy and crippled to go there, but feel free to ask my wife (ShyOne).  Good luck, she maybe to freaked out, because of the virus, but you never know.

Sounds good. Dave really is a nice person and continues to do work on Arcade repairs. I think he just got to busy and side tracked to get back with me.

Theres no way someone is that damn busy, especially after 9 months. Maybe theres a genuinely honest reason he still has it but it's still bad business. I'd keep calling, fb messaging until u talk to him.

Now that I’ve told them I’m sending someone to pick up the console they are getting more helpful.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, adamchevy said:

Sounds good. Dave really is a nice person and continues to do work on Arcade repairs. I think he just got to busy and side tracked to get back with me.

He sounds swell! Anyone who keeps someones money and property is not a "nice" person in my book. Sure, he is nice on the phone cuz he is stringing you along. A nice peron would do whatever it takes to make it right.

• Like 3

He sounds swell! Anyone who keeps someones money and property is not a "nice" person in my book. Sure, he is nice on the phone cuz he is stringing you along. A nice peron would do whatever it takes to make it right.

Good point! I’m a bit to patient with people I think.

47 minutes ago, eightbit said:

This is exactly why I will not have anyone do any work for me. No modding, no nothing. If I can't do it myself (and most of it I can now...it is worthwhile watching the various youtube mod videos online) I will simply not have it done.

Any trustworthy person you have solid repour with would be fine to work with on things like this. Don't let the sour ones poison the well as a whole. There are lots of good folks you can work with that won't do wrong by you. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Shawn said:

Any trustworthy person you have solid repour with would be fine to work with on things like this. Don't let the sour ones poison the well as a whole. There are lots of good folks you can work with that won't do wrong by you. 

That is true. I guess it's easy to see the glass fully empty after bad experiences. Sadly there have been a whole lot of them in recent history experienced by both myself personally and others as well. I don't know if these people just take in more than they can handle or start thinking theft is easy since they already have the console and are usually states away.... but it just happens too often in my book. My trust level is sadly very low when it comes to these repair people. Excluding Ray Carlsen of course. I would trust that man with anything I own.

• Like 1

This is the first time that I’ve ever had any problems. I’ve had multiple consoles modded by Joe over at electronicsentimentalities.com over the years. Yurkie modded a Colecovision for me a few years ago and it was a spectacular transaction. I also purchased an RGB modded NES from Yurkie that was very nice. I was recommended to Electronik repair from an Atariage member and everything was going very smoothly until C19 hit. I know it did a lot of damage to many small businesses so I remained extra patient. But 9 months was my limit I guess. I got worried that it was lost forever. I still have faith in good people that do good work and that come highly recommended.

8 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

Have you all forgotten about C19?  Or simply ignoring it?

Not buying that excuse. You know how many of my customer machines or how much of my own stock have been misplaced due to COVID-19?  Zero.

Even considering California's extreme lock-downs I am not buying it.  The console was sent out in December and the first lock-downs did not come until late March.  Re-opening occurred during May and June with a re-closing in mid-July@adamchevy has been trying to get his console back since April.

Dave's most recent post is August 28: "Sold a #sunsetriders #konami 4 player #arcade machine - happy to see it up and running at its new home in Ventura’s arcade next door to Pastime Legends video game store!"  Since at least the beginning of August he has been selling items via local pick-up.

So, he has been conducting business.

Timeline of Santa Barbara County’s COVID-19 Toll a Tale of Ups, Downs and Uncertainty

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Not buying that excuse. You know how many of my customer machines or how much my own stock have been misplaced due to COVID-19?  Zero.

Even considering California's extreme lock-downs I am not buying it.  The console was sent out in December and the first lock-downs did not come until late March.  Re-opening occurred during May and June with a re-closing in mid-July@adamchevy has been trying to get his console back since April.

Dave's most recent post is August 28: "Sold a #sunsetriders #konami 4 player #arcade machine - happy to see it up and running at its new home in Ventura’s arcade next door to Pastime Legends video game store!"  Since at least the beginning of August he has been selling items via local pick-up.

Timeline of Santa Barbara County’s COVID-19 Toll a Tale of Ups, Downs and Uncertainty

I have to agree here. I am in NJ, which was one of the ground zero states for C19. We were locked down along with NYC before anyone else and NJ has taken some of the most extreme lock down measures of any state. Still, I have conducted business as usual in all of my dealings. Nothing has been misplaced... and I don't think I have a single person I have either traded with or sold to that has not received their items in the same amount of time that it would have been pre-COVID.

I have noticed however that C19 has been the "go to" excuse for everything and anything that has been delayed. Don't get me wrong, I am certain there have been delays that have been caused by the pandemic.....but I am also quite certain that it is being used as a convenient excuse in many cases.

And "lost due to COVID-19" makes absolutely no sense....especially considering they are not even saying it was lost it the mail. They are saying it is lost in their "warehouse" due to COVID-19? What does that mean? What did they do, say "oh no, pandemic!" and then haphazardly start piling consoles and stuff in a warehouse in order to "protect" their merchandise from the virus?

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

Not buying that excuse. You know how many of my customer machines or how much of my own stock have been misplaced due to COVID-19?  Zero.

Even considering California's extreme lock-downs I am not buying it.  The console was sent out in December and the first lock-downs did not come until late March.  Re-opening occurred during May and June with a re-closing in mid-July.  [mention=36990]adamchevy[/mention] has been trying to get his console back since April.

I don’t believe COVID-19 is an excuse to do bad business. I’ve done a lot of business through eBay with people in California without any problems during the COVID-19 pandemic. I think in this case there was mismanagement and complacency to blame. The current situation certainly will keep me from doing business with them in the future. I would feel differently if I lived closer to Santa Barbara.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, adamchevy said:

I would feel differently if I lived closer to Santa Barbara.

Certainly.  Out-of-sight out-of-mind is a real thing.  While I detest babysitting a vendor, there are times when if you can do so you stay at the forefront of their concern.

• Like 1

Dave from Dave’s Arcade contacted me today about the description of my console and Edladdin controller so he could go find it in his storage unit. He said he had many Atari 2600 consoles to look through so he needed a good description. Atleast I might have my console back sometime soon! Now I feel bad for all the other Atari consoles that are lost in his storage unit. Unless he owns them all?