IGNORED

1050 Happy Reset?

Larry

Is there a simple way to reset a Happy Drive via software? I'm thinking of small utility that could be run from a Dos 2/MyDos type environment.

If that is not possible, a hardware mod maybe a jumper with momentary switch?  I don't like the constant power off/on cycling to reset the drive.

Option 1,2 in the Happy Utilities will reset the drive - as long as it is not locked up and has not been switched to unhappy mode where it will ignore such commands:

HappyInit.png.611f0a9efaa2bbde7999dee41a228409.png

Also, the "HAPPY.COM" included with RealDOS has this function as well in option 4:

RealDOSHappyInit.png.ee6253548e7eaa18b4aa037a9dd357c6.png

The actual SIO command used is covered in the Altirra Hardware Reference Manual:

Happy command
Command $48 (‘H’) is a command with multiple functions, multiplexed by AUX1.

Reinitialize drive (AUX1=$03)

Sub-command $03 reinitializes the drive by performing a software reset. The Complete byte is actually sent
before the reset instead of after, as the drive forgets all state when the reset occurs; this means that the drive will
be uncommunicative for a short time afterwards.

I tested a hardware reset button that was posted on Stephen J. Carden's RealDOS site in a post here:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/197540-1050-reset-mod/?do=findComment&comment=3890752

(Looks like you were thinking about implementing it back back then tooo. :) )

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Larry said:

Is there a simple way to reset a Happy Drive via software?

Why you need to reset the Happy? Are you setting Unhappy mode? This is hardly ever need. On almost all cases setting slow mode is good enough.

2 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Can't you run the Happy Warp software to set or reset UnHappy mode? 

You can't run the Happy software to revert the Unhappy mode, precisely because it is Unhappy and doesn't accept any custom commands anymore. That's the whole point.

Just now, ijor said:

You can't run the Happy software to revert the Unhappy mode, precisely because it is Unhappy and doesn't accept any custom commands anymore. That's the whole point.

Good to know.

Never been a problem for me and my Happy drives - I've never been one to be neurotic about power-cycling my hardware. It's designed to do that, and if anything fails, it's not all that hard to fix.