IGNORED

White Jaguar shell

fred

• 3 years later...

It always confused me as to why the Jaguar mold (specifically) was sold to some random company to make dental X-ray equipment. Did this sale happen because Atari was bleeding out financially and they thought this would somehow stop things (even if temporarily)? Do companies even technically "own" the "rights" to the molds used to make console shells? I mean I know companies own the likeness rights to their own hardware and thus own the "look" of them on technicality but this could've also been a case of the company who was responsible for making the console shells doing business under the table and reusing a mold that had been out of use for years by that point instead of going through the trouble of making a whole new one. Atari was too busy dealing with their own financial issues at the time to probably even notice or take action.

• Like 2

That happened because they did not even care anymore. You can find a video on Youtube where the buyer (and maker of the dental equipment) gets interviewed and explains all this and even shows some documents from the very short contract for his purchase.

• Like 3

Man that white shell is gorgeous. Wish I had snagged one before they went up high in price. There was a white pearl/dark blue one someone posted back a few years ago that was on ebay for like $60. I also like those clear ones people have posted before!

• Like 1