IGNORED

Classic 3D Mario Remasters

Magmavision2000

Do you think it will happen? I mean, surely Nintendo would've mentioned something about it earlier. Supposedly it was supposed to be released around now, but the leakers are now saying it's been delayed.

What do you think?

Well it's hard to know what the exact details will be, but I'm sure there will be Mario remakes on the Switch soon, in one form or another.

Not sure if we'll get an All-Stars style collection, like people are saying, but they'd be foolish not to continue the WiiU port train and release NSMBU and Super Mario 3D World for Switch.

64 remake would be cool, hopefully it'll have all the bonus stuff from the DS remake.

They'd have to change the controls for Sunshine and Galaxy, since Switch doesn't have analogue buttons (I don't think), and Nintendo seems to be against using the Joycons for motion control.

They've been announced.

Super Mario 3D All-Stars for September with Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy 1 (No Galaxy 2, sadly). And Super Mario 3D World + for early next year with an interesting looking new expansion shown off called Bowser's Fury.

I wonder if the stripped out Super Mario 3D World themed levels in the Switch port of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker that got replaced with Odyssey themed levels, will be popping up here in the SM3DW expansion (Or maybe they'll do something clever and have those unlock in Captain Toad if it detects a Super Mario 3D World game save on the system; I believe I read that the level data for the removed levels is still present in the game files).

Edited by Atariboy
  • Thanks 1

I might get it just for Galaxy. I've never been very fond of 3D platformers in general and I definitely disliked Sunshine when my sister got a copy for the Gamecube when we were kids. I think she kind of forced her way through it for lack of anything else to play, but I'll ask her what she really thinks of it to see what she says.

I do actually have Galaxy (and its sequel, which I have never played), but I really never played it and I don't want to find my Wii or set up the Wii U because I'm too lazy, even though my Wii U is less than 3 feet away from me. Okay, I measured it with my feet, which, conveniently, are exactly 12 inches long, and it's exactly 4 feet away. Still too lazy to connect it.

I've only played 64 for like 3 or 4 minutes, so I can't say anything about that game.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

I'll grab this to play 64 and Galaxy... 64 was awesome in 96/97 when I played it.  I barely played Galaxy but enjoyed it when I did so it will be fun!

Sunshine... such a misnomer... to me it's like Dark Cloud.  Not a fan... other than the hidden levels which I thought were quite fun!  Perhaps I'll enjoy the remaster... we will see.

You think Nintendo would have learned their lesson on the Wii 10 years ago, limited retail release, limited digital run, done in March 2021.

Act now if you want one: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/super-mario-3d-all-stars-nintendo-switch/6414104.p?skuId=6414104

That will get you the game prepaid/ordered through Best Buy in the US.  Amazon doesn't even have it up yet and it's out in like two weeks.

I'm a little surprised Galaxy 2 got left out but that's it.  I like what they've done here with this and I'm on board.  Scalpers are already chomping at the bit to scam the crap out of people too, so do what you got to do or get it digitally while that window is open.  Maybe Nintendo will re-run it later next summer or fall like when SMAS Wii blew up in their face with the scamming.

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

You think Nintendo would have learned their lesson on the Wii 10 years ago, limited retail release, limited digital run, done in March 2021.

I know, that's my only problem with it. Nintendo seems to be anti-scalper, yet they always do stuff that causes scalping.

• Like 1

I secured my copy from Walmart, so they now have it. Not sure about Amazon though.

I wonder if this is a straight-up port, or if it's just emulation. The reason I mention this is because, in the trailer, Mario 64 shows the + button on the face screen. 

I'd be tempted on this just for Sunshine in HD. Surprised they actually did put motion controls in Galaxy. Also surprised they didn't redo the graphics (or at least it doesn't look like it, aside from updating graphics for buttons).

Wonder if 64 has Rumble support.

10 hours ago, Atariboy said:

I wonder if the stripped out Super Mario 3D World themed levels in the Switch port of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker that got replaced with Odyssey themed levels, will be popping up here in the SM3DW expansion (Or maybe they'll do something clever and have those unlock in Captain Toad if it detects a Super Mario 3D World game save on the system; I believe I read that the level data for the removed levels is still present in the game files).

That's how the WiiU version does it.

Personally, I played those levels for a little bit back when I bought Captain Toad, but they're just way too big, and Toad walks way too slow for it to be enjoyable at all.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Magmavision2000 said:

I know, that's my only problem with it. Nintendo seems to be anti-scalper, yet they always do stuff that causes scalping.

Yeah I don't get it, well I do and I don't.  They usually have with big name stuff taken corrective measures usually months or so after the fact.  When SMAS got into scalper paradise shortly after the initial run was thinned out into the following trickle until it stopped it got ugly fast.  There was so much fair complaining, they extended selling the unit to another batch, and yet then later did a players choice copy of it too without the added fluff disc/book and that ruins the scalper fun.  Same on the NES, gets ugly, ride horrible, then they announce the SNES and piggy back an equally large drop of the NES as well that same summer and the scalpers lost out bad.  The only time it backfired was seeing how hard 2 christmas' were for the Wii, so they went nuts on the WiiU, but that piece of crap was so awful outside of almost singularly their own releases, it never sold through and they had to cut production factories 2-3x during its life to drop inventory.  Given they bounced back off the Switch having crazy sales, they're brave, so I could see them blow out another run of Mario probably through summer or the end of the year to screw scalper filth as long as stuff sells hard and fast and the complaining + exploitation begins.

All that said though, I'm very pleased about free SMAS on the SNES app.  But what I'm really jacked for -- Super Mario Bros, the Game & Watch of the 21st century.  SMB, SMB2j, a couple dozen easter eggs on it, and like the usual G&W a solid clock as well.  I know I'd play the hell out of it, SMB1 is still a fun ride for me to the point it's mostly relaxing.  A bit of irony too, the only Game & Watch from the period I still own, Super Mario Bros. :D

• Like 1

Yeah, the G&W looks cool, but it's got some weird horizontal scaling issues going on in the video. My guess is they're trying to make it fill a 4:3 320x240 screen, like they did on the 3DS (unless you hold start or select while it's loading). Maybe it'll be toggle-able.

The Game and Watch looked cool, but it seems impractical nowadays since you have your phone, and your Switch (if you got one). If it was 2005, then it would be useful and I'd want one.

I'm personally hyped for Super Mario Bros. 35 and it pisses me off that it'll only work for 6 months. Maybe it will get enough praise and Nintendo will make it a permanent game like Tetris 99.

Edited by Magmavision2000

Well, what the hell. I ordered Super Mario 3D Collection on Amazon just now. I've never actually played 64 or Galaxy, as I mentioned, so why not? Might as well retry Sunshine now that I'm an adult to see if my opinion about the game has changed. I am curious to see how Sunshine will work with the lack of analog shoulder buttons, though.

While I haven't played Sunshine since the mid 2000's (So I'll grant I may be forgetting an important detail), I remember FLUDD only having two stages. With the trigger partially depressed, Mario was able to run and still shoot water (at reduced pressure) out of FLUDD. With the trigger fully depressed, Mario would stand and you'd get full water pressure out of FLUDD.

In my opinion, it will be trivial to get that working on Switch. Simply assign both functions to independent buttons of their own. Let the R shoulder bumper handle the run and shoot ability and the ZR trigger handle the stop and shoot ability.

Edited by Atariboy

I never hated Sunshine, but I did dislike how lame Yoshi was dissolving as such and that one bad camera area in that huge pachinko style section of a state for a shine.  I don't get the ragging on it.

At this rate I'm questioning if I should bother keeping Galaxy on the Wii itself. :D  I had gone through a few worlds onto that, not too deep into unlocking the whole map by any means.  And Mario 64 I started to due to the PC conversion from source to replay that some on my computer.  Sunshine would be the odd one out I haven't touched since it was released more or less.

I don't like supporting this, but just preordered. Seeing these three look beautiful on a modern HD display is too tempting, so I'll sadly support Nintendo playing the Disney game of locking away their classics in the vault.

I'm especially a sucker since I just preordered and don't even own a Switch.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Atariboy said:

...I'll sadly support Nintendo playing the Disney game of locking away their classics in the vault.

Idunno, the Super Mario All-Stars on the Wii was supposed to be limited, but that didn't last very long ;)

Pretty sure SMA on the SNES was supposed to be limited, too.

8 hours ago, Atariboy said:

I don't like supporting this, but just preordered. Seeing these three look beautiful on a modern HD display is too tempting, so I'll sadly support Nintendo playing the Disney game of locking away their classics in the vault.

I'm especially a sucker since I just preordered and don't even own a Switch.

Did you pre-order it from Walmart? Because if you did, you'll get the Walmart Exclusive Sticker Set.