IGNORED

Classic 3D Mario Remasters

Magmavision2000

I'm surprised and not at the same time over the increased amount of self serving entitlement whining online about this game compared to when the Wii got SMAS.  So many trying to get nasty because they dared to charge $60 for 3 games with some light touch ups/filters applied demanding that it should be like $30 or $40 as a budget release.  So called angry because they feel they are being taken advantage of.

I'll never understand why poeple won't quit taking crap like this personal like it's an offense to their precious sensibilities.  Perhaps did they ever think, it was NOT made for them?  Galaxy is like what now a dozen years old, sunshine is pushing 20 soon, and Mario 64 is like nearly 25 years back.  Maybe this was made for those now that have never experienced them before, kids, younger adults, not just those who had them before.  It's like humanity went sterile a decade ago so everyone should have experienced it.  Yeah...no.  Considering what these games go for as a trio (loose cart, two CIB disc games) and you're nearly at the asking price on Sunshine alone.  It's a fair price, a nice chunk of history, and plenty of variety between them to keep any sane individual happy for a long time.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I'm surprised and not at the same time over the increased amount of self serving entitlement whining online about this game compared to when the Wii got SMAS.  So many trying to get nasty because they dared to charge $60 for 3 games with some light touch ups/filters applied demanding that it should be like $30 or $40 as a budget release.  So called angry because they feel they are being taken advantage of.

...well that's kinda what I'm thinking, I'm just not inclined to stick my head out the window and yell about it (although it is much better than Wii SMAS). I think it's unfortunate that Nintendo classics will never get the Sega Ages treatment (or the Super Mario Bros. Deluxe treatment). Fans are doing some interesting things with the Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time code, adding in multiplayer and such. Well, it's good that the games will be reaching a new audience, anyhow. 

I personally haven't seen much whining about the price point, but I'm also not exactly out there interacting with a diverse crowd of gaming communities (Mostly just AtariAge). I think $60 is reasonable enough for such a collection on day 1 if it's well done like I'm confident it will be.

What I'm seeing complaints about and agree with is Nintendo coming out and stating that it will enjoy only limited availability. While I doubt that this work will actually disappear from the Switch (I'm thinking we'll see N64 games hit the NSO service and emulated GCN/Wii games be made available for sale on the eShop), it still leaves a sour taste behind to see them announce that such a high profile release will only be kept available for sale for a few weeks. 

Edited by Atariboy

3 hours ago, Atariboy said:

What I'm seeing complaints about and agree with is Nintendo coming out and stating that it will enjoy only limited availability. While I doubt that this work will actually disappear from the Switch (I'm thinking we'll see N64 games hit the NSO service and emulated GCN/Wii games be made available for sale on the eShop), it still leaves a sour taste behind to see them announce that such a high profile release will only be kept available for sale for a few weeks. 

The game will be available until March 2021

8 hours ago, Daj said:

...well that's kinda what I'm thinking, I'm just not inclined to stick my head out the window and yell about it (although it is much better than Wii SMAS). I think it's unfortunate that Nintendo classics will never get the Sega Ages treatment (or the Super Mario Bros. Deluxe treatment). Fans are doing some interesting things with the Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time code, adding in multiplayer and such. Well, it's good that the games will be reaching a new audience, anyhow. 

Oh yeah I agree.  I was monitoring the Zelda one slightly but I got put off by just all the bad behavior the regulars were having due to Mario getting all the attention and bringing in all the demanding sorts.  I was more following Mario, a hell of an entry with the vanilla one that I kept a copy of it.  The later work was interesting but mostly a put off, and when all the me me me types got on their nerves they stopped helping or compiling anything so I quit watching that too.  I know it's still a thing, and maybe in time something will come compiled out of it that's fantastic yet on either.

On 9/7/2020 at 4:55 AM, Magmavision2000 said:

Did you pre-order it from Walmart? Because if you did, you'll get the Walmart Exclusive Sticker Set.

Don't forget about the Amazon Japan exclusive Something that hasn't been announced yet that you also have to pay extra money for.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B08HJCVFMV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

On 9/3/2020 at 7:49 PM, Asaki said:

Wonder if 64 has Rumble support.

Looks like I'm not the only person who thinks this might be an English Shindou version. I was thinking maybe, since in the video, Mario says "Bye bye." instead of "So long-a Bowser."

Apparently the color of the "TM" symbol hints at it, too.

3 hours ago, Asaki said:

Looks like I'm not the only person who thinks this might be an English Shindou version. I was thinking maybe, since in the video, Mario says "Bye bye." instead of "So long-a Bowser."

Apparently the color of the "TM" symbol hints at it, too.

I've seen some Gameplay footage of 64, and the copyright date said "@1996, 1997 Nintendo". So it's definitely not the original version.

Now is it the Shindou version? I don't know, probably. But since you see new button prompts and the textures are high-res, I'm going to suggest that maybe they made an actual port instead of just throwing a ROMs and emulators on a card.

Edited by Magmavision2000

The videos I've seen online seem to confirm it's the Shindou version, or at least some hybrid of it.  If Nintendo has or will announce (or we find out day one or an early leak) it rumbles, you kind of have your answer. That version fixed a thing I didn't know you could even do in the original which is a reverse long jump since that's only supposed to work forward and the Shindou release fixed that bug/exploit removing it which the 3D Allstars release can't do either.

1996-1997 might be onto something, I think Shindou version is the same. Weird that they didn't update to 1996-2020 like they usually do.

But the thing is, it's hard to say if they're showing footage from the game we're getting in the US, or if they're just recycling the same footage that Japan got.

30 minutes ago, Magmavision2000 said:

But since you see new button prompts and the textures are high-res, I'm going to suggest that maybe they made an actual port instead of just throwing a ROMs and emulators on a card.

The new button graphics are super easy to hack (although they likely recompiled from the source code), they did the same thing with the Zelda 64 releases on the Game Cube.

Although to be fair, they did change some of the cutscenes to just stream from a video file for some reason (just the credits, I think?).

The textures are not high-res, they're the same as the original.

Also, it makes me suspicious that that game runs at only 720p while the GC ports run full 1080p. It's very likely that the game is emulated.

18 minutes ago, Asaki said:

The textures are not high-res, they're the same as the original.

The textures for 64 are high-res though. In one of the Twitter posts I'm gonna link, you can see that the Bob-omb Battlefield portrait is not compressed (although that doesn't necessarily prove it's not emulated):

Apparently it has leaked.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/299724-super-mario-3d-all-stars/78975890

Spoilers: 100% emulation.

Edit: here's a somewhat more reliable source (probably): https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/09/super_mario_3d_all-stars_has_reportedly_leaked_onto_the_internet_already

Edited by Steven Pendleton

43 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I saw that too.

I know it's stupid, but I was kind of expecting ports (at least for Mario 64, I think Sunshine and Galaxy would take up too much space). It seems like every 2 days, I get more and more disappointed in this collection.

25 minutes ago, Magmavision2000 said:

I saw that too.

I know it's stupid, but I was kind of expecting ports (at least for Mario 64, I think Sunshine and Galaxy would take up too much space). It seems like every 2 days, I get more and more disappointed in this collection.

Understandable. There's nothing inherently wrong with emulation, and I expected these to be emulated anyway since the majority of older games like this are emulated when they get released on modern systems, but it is still a bit disappointing. Well, not from the Wii and GameCube, but older than that, sure. Still, if the emulation is good, you won't notice any difference between this collection and the original versions on original hardware. Theoretically, anyway. We'll see! My copy will be arriving here on launch day, but I'm not sensitive to input lag or whatever unless it's REALLY bad like on those mini consoles so I probably won't notice it at all if it's there.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

There's nothing wrong with emulation. Upping the internal rendering resolution to HD yields beautiful results, as shown by Nintendo's promotional videos. Why spend all that money to do native ports if emulation can get the job done and still look great visually? Emulation that they can repurposed such as for next year's Metroid and Zelda anniversary, the Nintendo Switch Online service (Everyone seems to want N64 games to be added), selling GameCube and Wii games digitally, etc. 

Just go compare Wind Waker HD on the Wii U and the GameCube original running via emulation on the homebrew Dolphin emulator for the PC. I can't imagine anyone feeling like the Wii U effort is visually a leap forward. Even though it has apparently had textures reworked, the only real noteworthy difference visually is the new (And arguably inferior) bloom lighting added to the Wii U remaster. Thanks to emulation trickery, Wind Waker in Dolphin even runs in non-stretched widescreen just like Super Mario Sunshine does here, despite both being 4:3 only games on the GameCube.

Short of a full fledged remake of Super Mario 64 which you wouldn't of gotten even if the code had been ported to the Switch to run natively, about all we're losing out here by them going with emulation is Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine still running at 30 fps and Super Mario 64 still being 4:3. A native port undoubtedly would've boosted it to 60 fps for both (and presumably emulation trickery to expand Super Mario 64 to widescreen had graphical glitches).

Edited by Atariboy

I'm actually surprised that they're all emulation...didn't think the Switch would be powerful enough to emulate GC/Wii.

Wooooah, but look at this, they're saying that Mario 64 -is- an English translation of Shindou. Very, very nice.

4 hours ago, Magmavision2000 said:

I know it's stupid, but I was kind of expecting ports (at least for Mario 64, I think Sunshine and Galaxy would take up too much space).

Ports wouldn't be any larger than emulation, if it's all still the same assets.

Edited by Asaki

Who cares if they're emulated except if you're looking to complain.  I figured as much when I said what I did at least for the GC/Wii games considering they are using some emulator to drive the things on that chinese shield/switch handheld only sold in their region.  The games were leaked online shortly after as APK files that have the game+program to run them bottled up in one file.  Mario 64 that one I guess is a little surprising given how the assets are so sharply cleaned up and nice looking, but that may still be what it is, a hacked version of each of the three games emulated but running with improvements.

I just read back, Atariboys post is on the nose there if anything as a way to go after this and into it.  WiiU Zelda GC so-called remasters.  If you run them as he said, it's hard going forward to raise arguments there too.  I bet this is what they did yet again especially with Mario64.  You clean up some art assets, change a few others for new prompts, then emulate the sucker for the system and you're done.

Edited by Tanooki