IGNORED

Classic 3D Mario Remasters

Magmavision2000

Okay, so I've played Galaxy for 37 minutes and Sunshine for 34 minutes. Galaxy plays very nicely and it looks extremely nice. Not really very much to say about it aside that, other than controlling the pointer with the Pro Controller being super awkward. Have not tried Joy-Cons.

Sunshine is nice in widescreen, and I think I might have been judging it too harshly when my sister got it like 20 years ago or whatever, as I have enjoyed the extremely short time that I have had with it so far. It has a huge problem, though, which is that the camera controls are BACKWARDS and there's no way to fix them. One good thing about it, I guess, is that SHINE GET! is still in the game.

2020091815000100-45998392CB216ABF034EB6F98E399A06.thumb.jpg.59fd576afaf9eb8fa4a7e6f6e459e615.jpg

Both games seem to have 2 jump buttons for some reason. Not sure why you'd want 2 jump buttons, but that's how it is. Anyway, more time needed with all games, as I have not spent too much time with the 2 that I have played and I've spend no time with 64 at all.

So, after quickly playing through a little bit of each game, I made a little review.

The game in general

The good: 3 great classics, High res textures, widescreen for Sunshine and Galaxy, 60 fps for Galaxy, full soundtracks for each game.

The bad: Limited release, shoddy controls, emulated (small nitpick), Shindou version of SM64, no scans of manuals, ads, or detailed box-art.

Mario 64

The good: Textures look beautiful, has rumble support, is graphically accurate.

The bad: Shindou version, has "SNES" style button mapping, slight delay, stuck with old camera style.

Mario Sunshine

The good: Widescreen, high res textures, controls are great (besides the camera).

The bad: Shine, the camera isn't inverted.

Mario Galaxy

The good: Everything seems great to me.

The bad: Motion controls (nothing wrong with them, I just don't like motion controls.

Verdict: This collection has three really great games, but Nintendo really threw this together very quickly and it shows. They could've put way more effort into it and make it feel like an all-stars collection instead of a cheap compilation of games, but alas, greed took over this project (and that's assuming it wasn't there to begin with). Despite those harsh words, I'd still recommend it, just go in with low expectations. 6.8/10.

Those Wal-Mart stickers do look good though.

To add to that, if you're buying this just to Mario 64, just buy a 3DS and put the 3DS port on there.

Edited by Magmavision2000

Seems to me to be a personal issue or your TVs fault for those complaining about input lag, I'm with DF on this one, it's fine.

I've done a couple stars and shines so far, not tried Galaxy yet.

Handling is tight, alignment of the buttons and sticks work very well here.

Mario 64 is the best 'legal' release of it, some would argue easily that the sketchy source port conversions to PC, etc are better, and sure, they've been modified.

Sunshine felt right to me, but it has been a long time, yet I don't have any issues other than the few tight places it back then too would have issues getting the camera right where you'd want it.

I'll have to get to Galaxy sooner or later, just had a LONG opening on it and I really wanted to focus on the other two first, especially Sunshine.  Up until recently I had been already picking away at Galaxy on a Wii anyway.

I mean, the lag is not bad or anything, but I did notice it and the pro controller is known to have some input lag. My monitor has 5ms response time, which is quite fast, I think. I do want to eventually do some more non-scientific testing, of course. It seemed fine when I was playing Galaxy in handheld mode. Handheld mode is kind of awkward for Galaxy because of the required touchscreen controls, I think, but it's still enjoyable, as is Sunshine in any mode so far. I am neutral on both Mario in general and also 3D platformers specifically, but I am enjoying both games more than I thought, especially Sunshine, which I've put way more time into.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

22 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

It has a huge problem, though, which is that the camera controls are BACKWARDS and there's no way to fix them.

I was looking through the patch files for Mario 64, and it looks like they did the same thing there -- like the aiming used to be inverted before, and now it is not?

Sounds annoying.

And yeah, I don't know why there's so much dislike for Sunshine, I enjoyed the heck out of it back in the day.

9 hours ago, Magmavision2000 said:

...widescreen for ... Galaxy, 60 fps for Galaxy...

Galaxy has always had widescreen and 60 fps.

9 hours ago, Magmavision2000 said:

To add to that, if you're buying this just to Mario 64, just buy a 3DS and put the 3DS port on there.

I think you mean regular DS, not 3DS ;)

I never had Mario 64 back then, and played very little of it, so most of my experience is with the DS remake...but I can see how people might prefer the original. Especially since you're getting it with analogue joystick controls, and at a much higher screen resolution (albiet, with lower resolution textures, lower poly models, etc.).

23 minutes ago, Asaki said:

I was looking through the patch files for Mario 64, and it looks like they did the same thing there -- like the aiming used to be inverted before, and now it is not?

Sounds annoying.

And yeah, I don't know why there's so much dislike for Sunshine, I enjoyed the heck out of it back in the day.

I have not played 64 either on the original hardware or on the Switch, so I'm not sure what the deal with 64 is now. I'll get around to it eventually, but it is the game in the collection that I am least interested in. I asked one of my friends about it yesterday and he says the music is really good, though, so I am looking forward to that.

I'm not really sure why I hated Sunshine when it launched. I am mostly enjoying it now, aside from the ridiculous backwards camera controls.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

Okay, something is bugging me...

In Super Mario 64, one of the camera modes let you LOCK the camera in place while running around -- allowing you to, say, run off into the distance and become a tiny speck.

I can't seem to get that working.  I thought it was in Mario camera mode, and you held down a shoulder button.  However, the should buttons appear to be mirrored, and neither one seems to lock the camera..

13 hours ago, Asaki said:

I think you mean regular DS, not 3DS ;)

13 hours ago, Asaki said:

Galaxy has always had widescreen and 60 fps.

Admittedly, I've never played Galaxy up until this point, so I thought the 60fps was one of the "enhanced" features.

O I C

Hmm, it's neat, but still needs some work. The font gets all smudged up, and the high-poly remade Mario model looks out of place. (edit: nevermind, I downloaded the CIA from the wrong thread)

And most importantly, there's no 3D.

Edited by Asaki

• 1 month later...

I may have to give it a try, but I really don't think it's going to make Sunshine feel any less problematic or broken.  There's a reason it's the 3D black sheep, it was just badly done with some real design problems that broke or made things overly challenging due to bad response, not the environment itself.  The camera hadn't bothered me on 64/Galaxy.

• 2 weeks later...