IGNORED

Are there people here who had never heard of the jaguar when it was relevant but like it now?

Wilco

I was born around the time the GameCube and PS2 where in their hay day, so I never had the chance to play or buy a jaguar when it was still relevant. 

Now that I’m in my late teens, and I love the jag, I’ve managed to get a jaguar cd for a decent price a while back and have around 25 games for it (5 for the cd 20 regular cartridges). 

So I was wondering, am I alone in this or are there more people who took on an interest for the jag long after it went off the shelves?

31 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

No one took an interest in the Jag when it was on the shelves. :)

I picked one up when it was on clearance for around $50.   Also got a CD unit soon after for the same price.   Seemed too good to pass up.

It was fun for awhile, but I eventually decided I didn't have enough space and I could get most of the Jag games I had on PC, so I sold it.   Made a profit on the deal too.

• Like 1

I've seen youtube videos/reviews of the jaguar system and games made in the last few years by people who look like they are still teenagers.

You were probably born in the 1980s or earlier if you were old enough to see  Jag at a store or on a commercial circa 93-96 and want one.  I think the question boils down to, is there anyone younger than 30 these days who plays the Jag, and the answer is definitely yes. In terms of whether they are on this forum? Dunno.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zzip said:

I picked one up when it was on clearance for around $50.   Also got a CD unit soon after for the same price.   Seemed too good to pass up.

It was fun for awhile, but I eventually decided I didn't have enough space and I could get most of the Jag games I had on PC, so I sold it.   Made a profit on the deal too.

I regret not buying one on clearance forever ago. K-Mart i think it was had the system, AND the cd-attachment for $69.99 together. I remember playing AvP on the display model at Lechmere, and not being very impressed lol. Then a couple years ago I got into it, at the time collecting for it wasn't too bad yet, and it's a quirky neat system that i love for how terrible it is, and there are a couple solid games for it too. It's a fun system that when I had friends over before the pandemic we would always play it for laughs. Like watching movies that are so bad they are good.

2 minutes ago, zzip said:

Yes, that $50 price (I bought my first one for $39.99, if I recall) seems to have been the tipping point from `whatever` to `hmm...`for many of us. But I certainly didn`t buy one in 1994 after seeing them in action for the first (and only) time in a store. At last, Atari found its perfect price-point for the system.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Yes, that $50 price (I bought my first one for $39.99, if I recall) seems to have been the tipping point from `whatever` to `hmm...`for many of us. But I certainly didn`t buy one in 1994 after seeing them in action for the first (and only) time in a store. At last, Atari found its perfect price-point for the system.

I definitely wish I was old enough to grasp the concept of a video game back then and also bought a jaguar cd for cheap, I paid €400 for the one I have now?

• Like 1

I was aware of the Jaguar in 1993 but couldn't afford it. I thought it looked awesome and powerful.  I loved the industrial design and black/red color scheme.  Atari was still a name to be reckoned with at the time (as far as i knew.)  I was lucky to have my NES at the time.  

By the 2Ks when it was cheap i was focused on other consoles (N64, Dreamcast) and had forgotten about it.

Took the plunge on a used one in 2014 and haven't looked back; the Jag rocks! 

• Like 5

I was a kid when the Jaguar came out. I had a Super NES and then an N64 and never heard of the Jaguar. The first time I heard about the Jaguar was when I saw it in a used video game store about a decade ago. It is the very same one I have now. This was back when interesting old things were going to be traded in at used video game stores and not be put on eBay for ridiculously high prices.

I was a release day buyer of the Jaguar. Enthusiasm waned as time went on. By the time the CD unit was on clearance for $30 had no interest in getting one. 

There were some good games.  But as time went on buying games like Checkered Flag , Double Dragon, etc really killed the system for me.

• Like 2

I remember seeing it on the shelves on a local electronic store, but didn't know anything about it until I saw some of the hoopla around the BattleSphere release.  That got me intrigued with the Jaguar, and I picked one up the summer of 2000.  I've owned at least one ever since.

• Like 2

I bought one close to launch day even though the guy behind the counter tried his hardest to convince me not to!

I enjoyed it for what it was.  I didn't think Atari was going to win the market back, but I thought they might carve out a niche for themselves.  I bought it knowing it wouldn't replace my SNES.

I thought Cybermorph was a great idea for a pack-in as it was impressive graphically and had tons of content to play through, but was maybe too simple to go out and spend an extra $50 on or whatever.  I had a lot of fun playing the few games I could get my hands on—Alien vs Predator, Raiden, and I even got some fun out of Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story.

Sadly, based on the short list of games above, you can see where this story is heading.  It became increasingly difficult to find games for sale in stores, and it didn't help things when you finally found a store with a handful of Jag games for sale and it was garbage like Kasumi Ninja or Double Dragon V, or stripped down PC ports like Syndicate or Cannon Fodder.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, WilcoL said:

This is my first forum post,

Welcome!  FWIW, being pretty new here myself.

13 hours ago, WilcoL said:

So I was wondering, am I alone in this or are there more people who took on an interest for the jag long after it went off the shelves. 

I don't quite qualify, but come pretty close.  My brother and I were aware of Jaguar around 94/95 from like two magazine ads, but ended up buying a Saturn.  it was a tough choice at the time: only those ads, a few preview articles on the Saturn in the same magazines, and input from like two friends who were happy with their Genesis or waiting it out for N64.  Saturn had Daytona, but the Jag had... 64 BITS!  And some how, it just seemed cooler.

I basically forgot about the Jaguar until I got lost in a youtube vortex one night just before the pandemic and happened upon the nostalgia nerd story on it, and got interested all over again.  It was the console that got away.  Had a lot of fun with it and related projects the past few months.

Edited by cubanismo

I first read about it in the EGM magazines in the 90s... Then ran into one on display at a local "Sams" store in the early 90s, but never actually got one until later in the late 90s early 2000s. I accidentally ran into the Jaguar scene after finding an old Atari Lynx at a local thrift store, getting on the internet to find out more about the Lynx and saw that "Native" and other titles were still being made for the Atari Jaguar as well as some Lynx title. By the time I got myself a Jaguar, it was well off of the store shelves for some years... I wanted to make "Playstation 1" game, but settled for the Atari Jaguar instead; been stuck with it ever since.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, newtmonkey said:

I bought one close to launch day even though the guy behind the counter tried his hardest to convince me not to!

That reminds me. Around 2006 I was at a gamestop and after seeing that they had a few used old consoles for sale, jokingly asked the guy behind the counter if they would take a trade-in on an Atari Jaguar. The guy said no way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I bought when on clearance from UK games store 'Electronics Boutique' in the 90s - £5 per game and £5 (or £10) for the machine... Bought 2 machines (still have an unused one) plus 10 games and was amazed by how brilliant Doom was as I had never played it before - Tempest 2000 as well was amazing and AVP was great too... My machines and games sat on my mums attic for about 20 years until I came back to it in about 2015 and decided to build a full collection of games for it - really grateful my mum never threw any of my machines out as I think I would not have returned to the Jaguar had it been missing from the attic. 

I have Never heard of it- nor seen it for sale at any of the local electronic and video game/video rental stores. Never owned or read any game magazines either so did not see it. 
Sega and Nintendo consoles flooded the market and was all the rage back then. from the last days of 16 bit to the ridiculous 32x and the giant hype of Playstation and N64 and the war between that followed.
During those years, occasionally when looking for walkthroughs on gamefaq.com i would see the name 'Jaguar' on the console selection menu- but never paid it no mind because i always thought it was some outdated and unpopular computer console like those in the 80's.

I only learned about the Jaguar properly in 2019 when watching the Angry video game nerd episode on it. Found it was an interesting console and the controller really looks high tech. 
spent about a year checking it out, flabbergasted at the prices and finally ended up buying one- after many rounds of indecision and mental breakdown from the stress of considering it- in August 2020.

Wish i knew about it in the few years after it was discontinued when they were on sale cheaper than what they cost today. I would have bought 2 boxed units and all the games i could find.

Edited by Jaguar 2000

On 9/2/2020 at 6:01 PM, rayik said:

I was a release day buyer of the Jaguar. Enthusiasm waned as time went on. By the time the CD unit was on clearance for $30 had no interest in getting one. 

There were some good games.  But as time went on buying games like Checkered Flag , Double Dragon, etc really killed the system for me.

Here is wisdom. 

Very similar situation with myself, bought the Jaguar day one, very much enjoyed AVP, DOOM, Rayman, Syndicate, T2K and I. S

But as time went on and Atari started releasing titles in an unfit state, just to get product on the shelves, interest dropped rapidly off. 

The Jaguar CD offered little more than the VLM and more storage, nice as Battlemorph and H.S:U. L  looked, they weren't enticing enough. 

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Albert said:

Please keep your COVID-19 conspiracy theories off AtariAge. I will delete them if you post them, and if you continue to do so, I will ban you.

Thank you,

..Al

one misstep and i got a gun pointing to my head? 
could have just deleted it and sent me a private message warning- i read every notification.
Now i am labelled- for those who didn't see the original post[now deleted] but will continue to read this active thread- as a conspiracy theorist.

Edited by Jaguar 2000

24 minutes ago, Jaguar 2000 said:

one misstep and i got a gun pointing to my head? 
could have just deleted it and sent me a private message warning- i read every notification.
Now i am labelled- for those who didn't see the original post[now deleted] but will continue to read this active thread- as a conspiracy theorist.

It was a general message to anyone who might decide to post such things, but since you've now outed yourself a second time, I'll let this post stand.  Please get back on topic.

..Al

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So Jaguar for me:

1994 - Saw a Jaguar new in the box in a second hand electronic store for $250-$300.   Oddly I had moved on from the Atari computer in 1989 to Mac.   Thought someone was pranking the Atari name.   Store owner was not too impressed with the system.  So I said "Huh..." and moved on.

1999 - Finished up college and found an Atari user group still around?!?!   Thought Atari was done in the 80's.  (no internet then)  :P    Picked up a Jaguar at Kaybee toy store for $30 after calling them and finding their last three in stock in Dallas.   Wasn't impressed with Cybermorph, but got Bubsy and Tempest 2000 and loved it!

• Like 2