IGNORED

Are there people here who had never heard of the jaguar when it was relevant but like it now?

Wilco

18 minutes ago, doctorclu said:

1999 - Finished up college and found an Atari user group still around?!?!   Thought Atari was done in the 80's.  (no internet then)  :P    Picked up a Jaguar at Kaybee toy store for $30 after calling them and finding their last three in stock in Dallas.   Wasn't impressed with Cybermorph, but got Bubsy and Tempest 2000 and loved it!

O man I’ve been trying to finish Bubsy on the Jag for weeks now, I just can’t get past those stupid water levels. 

Who decided to make that game so incredibly hard. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, doctorclu said:

So Jaguar for me:

1994 - Saw a Jaguar new in the box in a second hand electronic store for $250-$300.   Oddly I had moved on from the Atari computer in 1989 to Mac.   Thought someone was pranking the Atari name.   Store owner was not too impressed with the system.  So I said "Huh..." and moved on.

1999 - Finished up college and found an Atari user group still around?!?!   Thought Atari was done in the 80's.  (no internet then)  :P    Picked up a Jaguar at Kaybee toy store for $30 after calling them and finding their last three in stock in Dallas.   Wasn't impressed with Cybermorph, but got Bubsy and Tempest 2000 and loved it!

you still have your jaguar? 

It's not the original thread's question, but I'll register my version of it.

I've had the Jag in the 90s, I'm not really sure when, I just remember it was post 96 because I had an N64 for many years and wanted to know what the other 64 bit console was like.  So I bought a Jag and Jag CD at a retro gaming store, probably paid peanuts for it, and felt disgusted. :(

Back in that day (whenever it was), I remember playing with disgust Highlander, Cybermorph, being ultra disappointed with Trevor Mcfur, and not even being impressed by AVP. 

The best way I can describe is having pity of it, like wow, this is the lamest console ever.  Mind you, I was probably using RF output, that surely helps being disgusted ;)

Now, in 2018 I've came back full force to retro gaming after getting an N64 again, OSSC and plenty of amazing games. 

The retro thing was getting more serious by the day, so I wanted to experience back my Jag (again, wanted to "know what the other 64 bit console was like"). Searched the entire house 10 times and couldn't find it anywhere (my home was robbed in 2000, probably the Jag was gone on that robbery).

So I had to buy it all over again, and this time I think it's the best console EVER. Yeah, go figure (but I know exactly why my POV has changed, just won't make you bored).

So yeah, it went from the most hated to most beloved in 2 decades.

Saw it running doom and tempest 2000 on a big screen when 9 or ten and I was amazed by it, I loved it made Sega and snes look like garbage. Also seen the 3do alone in the dark and was impressed I love the doom commercial. I got mine in late nineties. To play AVP. Don't know that happened to the system it might of been stolen.  But I still have the cartridge. 

Edited by Kalani

Yep, was in college in 95, had a Jag, 3D0, and Sega Genesis xegs(the cd combo) unit between  the 3 of us, Alien vs predictions, doom,  wolf 3d,  iron soldier, all got a ton of play.  But Atari had hardly any games out then when they finally started getting games out they were ports of bad genesis games (bubsy/dd5/dragon) or crap versions of popular games (kausami/checkers flag).

By 96 play station was all the rage, luckily the roomate that got one got it and a copy of zoop, so Jag got about 3 or 4 more months of play before playstation took its spot.

On the consumer end it never had enough of the games that people demanded, we wanted Sports games, MK/Street Fighter Games/platformers/race car games.

Every category above jag made mostly horrible versions of those types of games.

The game that it was good at Mech sims and doom like games and radio's of retro games they made about 8 games total of those type in 3 yrs.

Atari Jaguar  is much better now, because your not comparing it with the past and future machines, when I'm not going to a store to say choose between Madden 95 on my Sega or Troy Aikman on the Jag, go home and be pissed that it is on a 64 bit machine but is nowhere near as good as my friends game.  Helps alot.

It being a weird machine that tried, even buying troy aikman doesnt hurt as much now because I dont expect it to be up to the standards of games that are on 20 yr newer macines.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 1:38 PM, WilcoL said:

O man I’ve been trying to finish Bubsy on the Jag for weeks now, I just can’t get past those stupid water levels. 

Who decided to make that game so incredibly hard. 

Yeh the Water levels even when I know how to speed run still take three times as long as the other levels.  They are something else.   Faran Thomason (game producer) said that the game was designed to be challenging to the level of the play testers of the time.  And the thought back then X-treme difficulty.   It was 1994 after all.  :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 8:16 AM, WilcoL said:

(This is my first forum post, sorry if it’s a bad or out of place question). 

I was born around the time the N64 and PS1 where in there hay day, so I never had the chance to play or buy a jaguar when it was still relevant. 

My first real gaming experience was when I got a Gameboy advance SP when I was around 13, but never really took interest in gaming (mostly because I really couldn’t afford it). 

Because of that I did take interest in older games and consoles (as they where a lot cheaper than Xbox 360 and PS3 stuff at that time) which eventually let me to the jaguar.

Now that I’m in my early 20s I love the jag, I’ve managed to get a jaguar cd for a decent price a while back and have around 25 games for it (5 for the cd 20 regular cartridges). 

So I was wondering, am I alone in this or are there more people who took on an interest for the jag long after it went off the shelves. 

Was the first console I purchased on my own with the money I had earned working on a ranch for the summer in the Texas heat. I was a rabid Alien and Predator fan in the early 90's so playing AVP in Incredible Universe was a huge sell for me.  Getting AVP with my new Jaguar as well as Hover Strike and Doom got me hooked on this system. That was until Christmas 1997 where I got an N64 from my parents and it went in its box.  I later donated the system to a local church.  

2005 while finishing college and spending money on only myself, I had an itch to play the jaguar again and got a lot of items off ebay which included the system and a majority of the games which were new in box for a reasonable price. I purchased a lot of my items from eBay seller "sweetstuff4u"  which I found out later was getting a bad rap for reasons I am not aware of and purchased a brand new Jagaur CD from myatari.  Its one of my most treasured consoles and now that Im a little older and have less time to invest in long gameplay on my Xbox One X, I have reverted back to even older systems and enjoying the short but sweet gaming experiences they provide.  I may be one of the only ones that give my system a good wipe down with armor-all wipes before I cover with a dust cover on my gaming area.  

SO long story short, when I became more aware of the gaming scene becoming a pre-teen, I had always been fascinated by the Jaguar.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cubanismo said:

While I'm personally really enjoying the responses on this thread, it sounds like the answer to the original question is basically "no," which bums me out a little.

I think that’s pretty understandable, its a relatively hard system to collect for (especially compared to most Nintendo systems) and I can imagine a lot of the games don’t really appeal to most gamers if they didn’t have any prior experience with them. 

Edited by WilcoL

3 minutes ago, WilcoL said:

I think that’s pretty understandable, its a relatively hard system to collect for (especially compared to most Nintendo systems) and I can imagine a lot of the games don’t really appeal to most gamers if they didn’t have any prior experience with them. 

I didn't realise collectors even played the games... :D

• Haha 3

On 9/2/2020 at 8:57 AM, davidcalgary29 said:

No one took an interest in the Jag when it was on the shelves. :)

Sad but true.

I was already out of college when the Jag came out. I remember Jag ads in the gaming mags in the run up to release and being surprised that A) Atari still existed and B) would even attempt a console release at that point. It was just so obviously doomed from the beginning.

That said, the wife got me one for $25 at a KayBee clearance and I picked up several more. I've had a lot of fun with them, but few people, consumers or developers, took it seriously during its lifetime.

Mild bump

If you lived were Atari actually shipped consoles, it was a hype launch event the issue was there weren't a large selection of games. And you'd go to various stores asking where the new games were and other people would come in asking the same and then anger would flourish. Than when new games were out some stores had delays because they had delays. They never told us why they didn't have the games day one.

Eventually people would trade in their Jaguars and 2-3 games for a SNES or Gen with 3-4 games, or trade up toward a 3DO and get it for $250 and 2-3 games. One store had a Neo Geo you could trade up and get it for $300 and one game, but you couldn't choose the game, and if not mistaken was Blues Journey, that's the platformer right? That one.

So even if you were actually involved it was a bad experience.

• 2 months later...
On 9/27/2020 at 12:35 PM, Leeroy ST said:

Mild bump

If you lived were Atari actually shipped consoles, it was a hype launch event the issue was there weren't a large selection of games. And you'd go to various stores asking where the new games were and other people would come in asking the same and then anger would flourish. Than when new games were out some stores had delays because they had delays. They never told us why they didn't have the games day one.

Eventually people would trade in their Jaguars and 2-3 games for a SNES or Gen with 3-4 games, or trade up toward a 3DO and get it for $250 and 2-3 games. One store had a Neo Geo you could trade up and get it for $300 and one game, but you couldn't choose the game, and if not mistaken was Blues Journey, that's the platformer right? That one.

So even if you were actually involved it was a bad experience.

Jag., I remember getting it, had a choice of 6 to 9 games, raidin, dino dudes, checkerd flag, iron soldier, doom, wolf 3d, t2k., club drive.

The problem was 1st 2 yrs games would trickle in, very slowly in low quantities all bad or good in the 50 to 70 range, while all the competitors including 3d0 and cdi, had a ton of games available.

ATARI jaguar, was in the middle of the ebgames, on the end of a middle shelving, they didnt even make it to the wall, on a 2ft by 4ft display, with 3 shelves 1 for system, then the controller and a few games.

The experience of buying one would always, be the employee fealing bad or abrhensive because they felt you were waisting your money. And didnt want to deal w/when you getting games in.

Finally towards the end of 94, games started coming in in a huge amount, Atari was at Walmart you could find it, the CD init popped up, by by this point Sega Saturn was out and PS1 was out, best Atari could hope for was 3rd place, but 3d0 had already, secured that spot with a large user base.

Not I. Been loving the Jaguar since 1996 when I bought my first Jaguar! Yes, I didn't buy a Jaguar till it was at a second hand store. I didn't see a Jaguar on sale anywhere before that where I live (in Canada). I wish I had more disposable income when it released. I would have been 14...

Anywho... Do the Math!

I reviewed the Atari Jaguar for Page 6/New Atari User (issue 68) here in the UK back when they were quite hard to get hold of. My brother was working for a company that published a number of different magazines at the time, and he would often bring home bits of hardware for us to fiddle with when he came back to visit. One time he brought the Jaguar with Cybermorph, and we had a good time with it. As I was just getting involved in writing for Page 6 at the time, I took the opportunity to co-author a review with a friend. I was 13 at the time, and given that all we had to play with was Cybermorph there was only so much we could experience, but I remember finding the potential of the system quite exciting.

I didn't have much contact with it beyond that, but in more recent years as I'm pushing 40 I've been really rediscovering my Atari past in a lot of ways, mainly through the video series I've been producing, plus the recent Lynx collections for the Evercade. I got some money from my parents for Christmas, so I though an interesting thing to spend it on would be a Jaguar, so that I could finally explore it properly for myself. I managed to get a good price on one on eBay with three games and an RGB SCART cable, so now I'm just waiting for it to arrive, pondering what games I would like to try and pick up boxed copies of -- and crossing my fingers that the GD will be available soon :)

• Like 4

These two videos by jvgsjeff and deanpook's channel on YouTube were my initial gateway on the Atari Jaguar scene...

I guess I should explain more: Back when I was almost done with junior high-school, I found out about the Atari Jaguar when looking at Atari stuff online, since my dad is a fan of the 2600. We looked up on auction sites until we stumble across a boxed system with Cybermorph and Doom. I'm happy for being introduced to the Jaguar thanks to my dad, 'cause I wouldn't have been able to play many of the games on Jaguar including Rayman :)

Edited by KidGameR186496