IGNORED

Tuning in a Brazilian Polyvox Vader in the UK

Buckaroo

Picked up a Polyvox Vader today in a bundle with some Brazilian games. 

It has a hard wired power lead and a switch on the base between 110v 220v. 

The closest I have to this is a 115v 230v. I guess the extra 5-10v isn't going to hurt it that much (but it is weird to hear an Atari buzz)

I've tried tuning it in but I get wavy blue lines on the screen and no sound.

I've read that they use PAL-M which is a format my HDTV doesn't have. 

The systems my TV can tune are [B/G] [D/K] [L] it works best on [B/G]

My HDTV has colour modes for [PAL] [SECAM] [NTSC 4.43] [NTSC 3.58] but none of the work you have to let it tune on [AUTO]

This is staying firmly in my collection but I was wondering if anyone else in the UK has had better results.

Atari 2600 Brazillian Polyvox (1).jpg

Atari 2600 Brazillian Polyvox (2).jpg

Atari 2600 Brazillian Polyvox (3).jpg

Atari 2600 Brazillian Polyvox (4).jpg

Atari 2600 Brazillian Polyvox (5).jpg

Atari 2600 Brazillian Polyvox (6).jpg

Edited by Buckaroo
  • Like 1

I don't think this one is a clone. Polyvox officially released the 2600 in Brazil. It has the Atari 2600 logo on the front. 

I've got a couple of NTSC clones and originals that have all worked  on this set. 

This is the only console I've never been able to tune in 100%

• 8 months later...

Friend the problem can be solved by removing the Pal-M plate just by unsoldering it from the motherboard and replacing the Pal-M crystal with another NTSC crystal. Unless you want to leave Polyvox factory original.

Here in Brazil sometimes by option we modify some consoles to return to the original Atari NTSC system and consequently to composite video to obtain the best image that the console can offer. 

Is this the model with built-in font? I am not an electronics technician, but what I do know is that this model has the risk of burning the 3 chips at once due to a Polyvox design error in the built-in power supply. The current is connected directly to the on / off switch. Some Brazilian technicians correct this in the preventive maintenance of the console. I advise you if you have a reliable technician who makes the modification and also exchange the built-in Brazilian source for a correct voltage source from your country. 

• Like 1

I'm curious about the voltage settings. Were/are there two systems in use in Brazil?  It's not entirely clear from your post, but you appear to have tried both options (110V and 220V). Basically you don't need a matching transformer for both.  This is strange to me; the actual conversion to 9VDC must be inside the machine itself.  You just need to get the input correct, so either 110V or 220V, and make sure that switch is set correctly before power on.  As to the difference in voltage, +5-10V is unlikely to matter, IMHO.  Just as an aside/test, try wrapping the output RF cord in a few loops in a circle before the TV. For me this significantly reduces interference on some machines.  Also, make sure the RF connector itself is making a good connection. Twist a few times back and forth when plugged in.

Thanks for your replies, I've changed TV's and the one I have at the moment won't tune in low enough so I can't set this system at all.

I'll try your suggestions when I get a different TV. 

On 5/24/2021 at 4:18 AM, alfredtdk said:

Is this the model with built-in font? I am not an electronics technician, but what I do know is that this model has the risk of burning the 3 chips at once due to a Polyvox design error in the built-in power supply. The current is connected directly to the on / off switch. Some Brazilian technicians correct this in the preventive maintenance of the console. I advise you if you have a reliable technician who makes the modification and also exchange the built-in Brazilian source for a correct voltage source from your country. 

alfredtdk what did you mean by a built in font?

On 26/05/2021 at 17:53, Buckaroo said:

Obrigado por suas respostas, eu mudei a TV e a que eu tenho no momento não está sintonizando baixo o suficiente, então eu não posso configurar este sistema de forma alguma.

Vou tentar suas sugestões quando conseguir uma TV diferente. 

alfredtdk o que você quis dizer com uma fonte embutida?

This is one of the later Polyvox models with the internal source. I believe this is your model? 

20210527_214429.png

14 hours ago, Buckaroo said:

Sim, parece o mesmo modelo. Não consigo ler o número da placa, pois está coberto por um adesivo, mas termina em 33. 

228113898_Atari2600Brazillian (1) .thumb.jpg.f0cbabb8081c05d83194b8861ec89302.jpg

910738192_Atari2600Brazillian (2) .thumb.jpg.d0ee771185c0130c83f0acca0b785fbd.jpg 

I see that it is modified to the Brazilian standard, with the Pal-M transcoder plate soldered on the motherboard and the Pal-M crystal. As it is a console with 40 years old I would advise at least to change the electrolytic capacitors. It is also perfectly possible to change to the European standard if you want.