IGNORED

Entry 2020: Crayfish Party

This game has been on my mind for more than year, but I haven't put it to code & graphics (haha!) until now. Basically the idea is to borrow some of the game mechanics from Tapper, but instead of beer, serving guests at a crayfish party. I haven't figured it out completely yet, but in principle guests will move towards the tables, you grab a clean plate and get into kitchen to equip it with crayfish, serve it to the customer and when they're done, pick up the dirty dishes and move it to the dishwash. Exactly how each level will end is yet to determined, probably when all guests have left. Obviously not serving guests in time will be negative, same about not picking up the dirty dishes.

Graphics still are highly in-work and most is not even drawn yet. And no, I haven't composed any music to my own game yet.

shot0001.png.e0590c2f06784cd6572e7de7a3d4c946.png

Here is a title screen for you:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Yeah, I'm kind of a folklore person when it comes to making games. ? And it is correct I was planning to make a game like this to be launched in August 2019 but you see how far I've come by now... (I also had plans to release another folklore game in June 2019 or June 2020 but alas it didn't happen... perhaps June 2021?)

On 9/3/2020 at 7:26 AM, carlsson said:

Basically the idea is to borrow some of the game mechanics from Tapper, but instead of beer, serving guests at a crayfish party.

I'm hoping you work in a mechanic to support some less common variants such as blue crayfish white ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_crayfish

Maybe they show up every now and then and are worth more, or more likely to pinch you and make you drop your serving tray or ???

• Like 1

Not much progress yet (too many other things keeping me busy) but an early attempt at a quick and dirty player animation.

@fdr4prez: Here is some info about the type of yearly crayfish party we have over here. Also regarding the spelling, it was concluded as a Northener (almost at latitude 60), the "y" spelling is more natural for me than the "w" spelling. Here is a coloured map over which word is used where (in the USA) for you all to enjoy.

• Like 3

On 9/9/2020 at 3:23 AM, carlsson said:

@fdr4prez: Here is some info about the type of yearly crayfish party we have over here. Also regarding the spelling, it was concluded as a Northener (almost at latitude 60), the "y" spelling is more natural for me than the "w" spelling. Here is a coloured map over which word is used where (in the USA) for you all to enjoy.

That is very similar to our Crawdad Boil

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Ok, still nearly nothing done on this horizon but after watching the virtual expo held earlier, I got inspired to at least get some progress going. That means adding three software sprites and merging the title screen to it. No promises I'll finish this in time, but at least it is not entirely abandoned.

crayfish-v0.rom

• Like 3

7 hours ago, carlsson said:

No promises I'll finish this in time, but at least it is not entirely abandoned.

Sending a poorly trained monkey over to your place to keep you from becoming distracted. On a second thought, it's quite cold in Sweden this time of the year, so they might not make it to you since postal service are severely slow.  Sigh... 

Anyway, I'm looking forward playing this game. 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 11/21/2020 at 5:51 PM, carlsson said:

Ok, still nearly nothing done on this horizon but after watching the virtual expo held earlier, I got inspired to at least get some progress going. That means adding three software sprites and merging the title screen to it. No promises I'll finish this in time, but at least it is not entirely abandoned.

crayfish-v0.rom 5.56 kB · 102 downloads

Still a fun concept!