IGNORED

Favorite 8-Bit Game Never Ported To The Atari Series

Bill Lange

Oh heck, have you got a couple of hours...?

On the C64: Armalyte, IO, Sanxion, Delta, Uridium, Uridium Plus, Nemesis, Salamander, Katakis, Enforcer, Crush, Subterranea, Retrograde, Lethal Zone.

On the Spectrum: Chronos.

On the VIC20: Dragonwing and Wunda Walter.

...and they were just the horizontal scrolling shoot-em-ups except Walter! =-)

The Turrican series...

The question is, what was the better choice? No conversion or crap conversions?

Yes, and "Rampage" is an excellent example of this problem. The 8-bit port is OK, but kind of crappy in comparison to most other console versions.

I've also heard rumours that an 8-bit version of "The Bard's Tale" was actually in the works, but canned when 8-bit sales continued to decline in '86 and '87.[/i]

Y'all getting senile?

ELITE!

As an aside, i heard a rumour ages ago from someone not entirely reliable in the industry that an excellent Atari 8bit port of Elite was done and dusted but some clause in the license Firebird had said it couldn't look better than the BBC version and it was canned... anyone know if this is true?

Y'all getting senile?

ELITE!

As an aside, i heard a rumour ages ago from someone not entirely reliable in the industry that an excellent Atari 8bit port of Elite was done and dusted but some clause in the license Firebird had said it couldn't look better than the BBC version and it was canned... anyone know if this is true?

I think you'll find Mr. Wrathchild knows more about an Atari Elite than most... :D

30-Jul-03 Edit

Maybe I should have noticed Mark's post mentioned Atari Elite before posting this :dunce:

Defender II

Do you mean Stargate? I don't know if the proto available is the final version but it kinda sucks IMO.

Summer Games II and Winter Games were already in dealer catalogs, what happened? I once heard a rumor that Summer Games II was available in small quantities but so heavily protected that it never reached the pirate circuit...

Other titles: Marble Madness, Impossible Mission, Rescue Raiders, Turrican, Great Giana Sisters, Driller, Gunship... Too many to list...

++

RC

++

Y'all getting senile?

ELITE!

The Rumor i heard was they ported the C=64 version but it was as buggy as hell as to be un-usable (shades of the elite 2 frontiers for the PC issues) and the Atari-8 market in the UK didn't justify a full re-write.

Well you know what rumours are like!

Yep, Elite, many of the good Arcade conversions never seemed to arrive, same with the numerous good games on other computers.

lord of Midnight/doomdarks revenge would be nice

Wow... I've never played games on anything but Atari or PC! Let me check...

Amiga - No

C-64 - No

TRS-80 - Nothing professionally written

Spectrum - No

Macintosh - No

Adam - Eh, ColecoVision games don't count

Apple II - Er... Don't think so...

There was this one game on the Apple II that I remember. Bouncing Kamungas? I think I played it for about 5 minutes one day.

OK, so most of these were arcade as well as 8-bit ports, but...

Space Harrier (of course)

Out Run

Mad Planets/Crazy Comets 8)

Super Sprint

Sanxion (or any other good horizontal shooters from C64)

I Robot (Fox, if you're ever bored..)

and Elite (Mark, don't let David Braben put you off, I really can't believe he gives a stuff about our obsolete systems)

BTW I'd be surprised if Firebird managed to do a version superior to the beeb original, after all the BBC runs at 1.8Mhz as well as the Atari, and I don't see any huge speed benefits to be had from the Atari hardware in this kind of game? Also presuming Braben and Bell used efficient line-draw and division routines. What do you think about this Mark?