IGNORED

An Odd Archer Joystick From Canada.

Atariboy2600

I got a ton of old retro games and systems from a friend from Canada and one came a  Archer Joystick that looks like its made by Texas Instruments  BUT I never seen one that has a RC controller wired with the joystick. I been collecting joysticks for over 40 years and for the life of me I never seen this model before. Had any one else seen this?

image.thumb.png.42e82d185d346547083c359382573710.png

image.thumb.png.09fcc59bbe4fc3070c2b59000bca2b59.png

image.thumb.png.89633b7e8319473fbb101e866e29d95f.pngimage.thumb.png.11215e7c3d0999a6c7f01887fa46fbf3.pngimage.thumb.png.4a665e395a4c1b419e93d4c1e1297a2d.png

• Like 1

The stick part is common enough.  Spectravideo and a few others used that same mold.  The r/c controller wired in with it is interesting.  I wonder what game someone used it with?  Looks like someone thought having separate up/down and left/right switches would play better.  I would be tempted to open up the r/c controller to see how the connections were hooked up.   The split cable looks machine made.  I am wondering which wires on the joystick port are used?  Odd indeed.

Could this be wired for a TI-99/4A instead of 2600?

9 minutes ago, RodLightning said:

The stick part is common enough.  Spectravideo and a few others used that same mold.  The r/c controller wired in with it is interesting.  I wonder what game someone used it with?  Looks like someone thought having separate up/down and left/right switches would play better.  I would be tempted to open up the r/c controller to see how the connections were hooked up.   The split cable looks machine made.  I am wondering which wires on the joystick port are used?  Odd indeed.

Could this be wired for a TI-99/4A instead of 2600?

It has that TI looking logo on the end of the joystick port plug.

image.png

Electrically, I could see the RC controller standing in for the two paddles you could have hooked up instead of the joystick.  They're on different pins, so there's no conflict -- each paddle fire button maps to one of the joystick directions, IIRC.

Also, the TI originally had two joysticks on a single DB-9 port, so maybe the user took one of those joystick pairs, chopped off the sticks, and used that cable to wire up the two controllers.

• Like 1

Okay I try plugging this on my 2600 and yet cant play any games in Joystick or paddle games and when I open the back battery on the RC controllers and the inner chip broad pops out and I see what used to house the C Battery but cant fit in there from all the wires and seem some wireds are broken so I don't know if you need any battery to play just the joystick part so if any one here  like to  take  a crack at it let me know 

image.thumb.png.30b2e7ea4844ec19d231a2236e70cb70.pngimage.thumb.png.45ba8e784fd5e2eec516014bda6cbe16.pngimage.thumb.png.d69b55f0d2802926dc0d84e624d55d71.png

image.png

image.png

2 hours ago, Danjovic said:

Quite interesting! Did the RC controller have any fire button?

is there a couple of resistors under the black connector?

How many wires came from the RC switches and go to the black connector?

Do you have pictures of the insides of the RC controller?

So far as I can see its only have a X and Y axis like any old RC and no other buttons.

• 1 year later...

This might be a necropost, but that is without a doubt a controller set for a TI-99/4A computer. The original TI joysticks have been removed and replaced with that joystick and old RC controller, probably because the flex PCB inside the joysticks wore out as they commonly do.

• Like 1