IGNORED

Nintendo to release new Game & Watch "collectable" system

BITD, I would have loved to play the real Super Mario Bros. on the go like that!  Hell, it that was why I bought the Game Boy Color in the first place when I saw SMB DX in a commercial...

I did get the original G&W version of Super Mario but that was a completely diferent game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RampantOctopus said:

I mean, don't get me wrong-- this is quite pretty-- but am I the only one who's disappointed it's not a LCD game?

I used to own the Super Mario Bros LCD Game & Watch (which could have been included in this portable device) and it wasn't all that great. The gameplay was rather simple, the difficulty increased very slowly, and after a while it was just a tedious chore to play. So I'm not all that disappointed that's it's not included in this "replica". On the other hand, I'd love to see Nintendo do Super Mario Bros 3 like this. Or maybe Zelda for next year?

5 hours ago, RampantOctopus said:

I mean, don't get me wrong-- this is quite pretty-- but am I the only one who's disappointed it's not a LCD game?

https://gameandwatch.nintendo.com/?cid=N1049-01:ch=eid&eid=Direct09032020&crmid=FE7A6DAB-257B-4530-8470-D1A2E827D56B

I'd imagine it's fairly safe to say, you're in a very tiny minority that would feel as such with the disappointment.  I mean, they could have thrown the SMB G&W in there as a toy, and perhaps it is since they said it had dozens of easter eggs to find.  I mean they did shove BALL in there with Mario, aka Mario the Juggler, the last G&W made in 1991 of all things about the time Mario World showed up in the USA.

As maddog there put it, I'd have been blown away to own something like that in the day.  But right now I'm even more excited for that handheld as it stands NOW than the 35th Anniversary SMAS 3D on Switch (which I did preorder at BestBuy.)  Having SMB1 on the go, as a clock, SMB2j in there too, and whatever all the other little eggs(perks) to find is a must.  It's a good chill game for me still through much of it, would be all if not grossly out of practice.  SMB1 was the first home video game that truly 100% sucked me in and love Nintendo games and video games in general.  Sure I had earlier times on arcade stuff like (1st) Pac-Man, Galaga, Donkey Kong 3, and a few others, and they were all passing quarter or two eating fun... but SMB1 ...hours of fun without diminishing returns.  To have that in a G&W form factor with a modern panel, rechargeable battery, and the rest is beyond expectation to me as is.  I *NEVER* do this, but I'm damned well half tempted to BUY 2 just to keep one in excellent shape and one to keep in a pocket for general use as I know it'll get worn down with time.

The only old G&W I still own is SMB1, good times.  I do have club nintendo ball, but it stays in the box basically.

I have to admit, I'm with pixelboy.  I hope this does well and opens a door.  If they did the other Marios and Zelda that would be mind blowing fun.  And given their past history of re-hashing old NES titles for $20 a pop on GBA carts, I wouldn't put it passed them at all.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, RampantOctopus said:

https://gameandwatch.nintendo.com/?cid=N1049-01:ch=eid&eid=Direct09032020&crmid=FE7A6DAB-257B-4530-8470-D1A2E827D56B

No you are not.  I can already play SMB a million different ways.  Although, I think I would need there to be a full collection of LCD games on there to get me interested.

• Like 1

This is quite expensive for what is most likely a glorified emulator box, even if it is cool. I'd consider getting one, but not for the 5478 yen they want for it... and it also appears to be sold out on Nintendo's Japanese website anyway.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

I have to admit, I'm with pixelboy.  I hope this does well and opens a door.  If they did the other Marios and Zelda that would be mind blowing fun.  And given their past history of re-hashing old NES titles for $20 a pop on GBA carts, I wouldn't put it passed them at all.

Some third-party companies could also "steal" the idea. Imagine Capcom releasing a miniature pocket device (à la Tiger Electronics) with a few NES or GameBoy Mega Man games on it, or a collaboration with Disney to make a pocket device with NES DuckTales, Chip 'n Dale, etc.. Or Konami doing a Castlevania or Contra pocket collection. Or a Dragon Warrior collection. Or an Adventures of Lolo trilogy.  Or an Adventure Island trilogy. Or a Ninja Gaiden trilogy. Nintendo themselves could do Donkey Kong + Donkey Kong Jr + Donkey Kong 3. Lots of interesting possibilities, and they would make great little Xmas/birthday gifts if the price is right, even if there's already lots of ways to play these NES games. It's the small form factor and friendly ergonomics that would win people over.

But then again, would it be better for Nintendo to release a "cartridgeless" Game Boy Classic loaded with 30+ games? That's open to debate.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

Some third-party companies could also "steal" the idea. Imagine Capcom releasing a miniature pocket device (à la Tiger Electronics) with a few NES or GameBoy Mega Man games on it, or a collaboration with Disney to make a pocket device with NES DuckTales, Chip 'n Dale, etc.. Or Konami doing a Castlevania or Contra pocket collection. Or a Dragon Warrior collection. Or an Adventures of Lolo trilogy.  Or an Adventure Island trilogy. Or a Ninja Gaiden trilogy. Nintendo themselves could do Donkey Kong + Donkey Kong Jr + Donkey Kong 3. Lots of interesting possibilities, and they would make great little Xmas/birthday gifts if the price is right, even if there's already lots of ways to play these NES games. It's the small form factor and friendly ergonomics that would win people over.

But then again, would it be better for Nintendo to release a "cartridgeless" Game Boy Classic loaded with 30+ games? That's open to debate.

No doubt, and possible I guess.  Given the nature of those cheap chinese bittboy looking pieces of garbage, I could see some of those larger 3rd party companies making some cheap plastic/metal shelled device for $20-30 a pop or more on their most heavy hitting titles as one off units.  I saw someone say this Mario game will be $50, not sure where that price got sourced from, but I'd imagine 3rd parties at that point perhaps would include a system (NES) wide franchise pile (3 Castlevania games, 3 Ninja Gaiden's, whatever.)

But yeah in the end I'd prefer the whole cartridgeless GB Classic with 30+ games (+ given some were GBC titles too, unless they'd milk that likely to a 2nd years worth of GB handhelds.)  Despite my library and flash kits, I'd still buy a remastered handheld Gameboy like that and it most definitely would get used.

• Like 1

Wait, this thing does not have a headphone jack? So I'm supposed to bother everyone around me (on the bus or while standing in line somewhere) with 8-bit SMB music, or turn the volume completely off to play in public? Little blips and bops of original Game & Watches were one thing, but NES music and sound effects played for extended periods of time are another. I wasn't planning on buying this, but now I see one more reason not to.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2020 at 9:20 PM, Pixelboy said:

Wait, this thing does not have a headphone jack? So I'm supposed to bother everyone around me (on the bus or while standing in line somewhere) with 8-bit SMB music, or turn the volume completely off to play in public? 

No no no. You're not supposed to play the damn thing, who ever heard of such a thing ? It's meant for displaying on a shelf along with all the other unplayed collected tat. ?

Edited by Lord Innit
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Lord Innit said:

No no no. You're not supposed to play the damn thing, who ever heard of such a thing ? It's meant for displaying on a shelf along with all the other unplayed collected tat. ?

How else do you expect to grow a youtube following!!! ?

• Haha 2

I wouldn't mind having one as it looks pretty cool, but it's just going to be another Nintendo "false scarcity" incident. 

They'll only make so many of them, and then those of use who can't get them get all mad about it. 

It's cool... but I can't say it's going to be worth my time being frustrated over not being able to get it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

It will be a pain in the ass to get at retail, nothing new for Nintendo there. Of course I want one!  I just wish Nintendo would just start either pricing stuff appropriately or make more product. Simple as that. Stop the scalpers!

Wait....are the preorders already done for this thing? I saw the ad for it on Nintendo store a few weeks ago, lol. Oh well, at least I scored the NES Lego for my Nintendo fix this Christmas.

Edited by atarilovesyou

1 hour ago, atarilovesyou said:

It will be a pain in the ass to get at retail, nothing new for Nintendo there. Of course I want one!  I just wish Nintendo would just start either pricing stuff appropriately or make more product. Simple as that. Stop the scalpers!

Wait....are the preorders already done for this thing? I saw the ad for it on Nintendo store a few weeks ago, lol. Oh well, at least I scored the NES Lego for my Nintendo fix this Christmas.

Their Super Mario handheld website says to stay tuned for the pre-order.  It's now almost a month before the thing launches...WHERE'S THE UPDATE, NINTENDO?