IGNORED

Nintendo to release new Game & Watch "collectable" system

Nintendo updated the site.  They took off the "pre order" text and just have "Coming November 13".  So buckle up, online shoppers and prepare for a click-refresh-repeat war to get this.

And thanks Nintendo, thank you for trying to make this available to your audience without having to have them resort to waiting and hovering over their devices hoping to score one.  Let's hope there are purchase limits.

• 4 weeks later...

The unit is out today.  Amazon, at least at 6:45 AM CST, was out.  Best Buy has them on their site but are releasing them in batches.  So if you click "Add to cart" button, you might get a "Please wait".  The process is to check back in a few minutes and see if the "Add to cart" button reappears. When it does, try again. If you're lucky, you'll snag one.

I ordered mine around 7 AM today through their site. Even going through the account set up, the G & W was still waiting for me.  I paid for it and supposedly it's waiting for me at the local Best Buy, so after a chiro appointment and a work related errand, I can pick it up on the way back to the office.

41 minutes ago, 7800Knight said:

It is kind of cool.  But I don't want to pony up money for Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros the Lost Levels as I own them on other platforms.

Now if Nintendo decides to reissue some of their other Game & Watch titles, you've got my money.  

My thoughts exactly.  I mean, would we be excited about a single-game handheld release of Pitfall!?  Kinda, but I wouldn't buy it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 7800Knight said:

Now if Nintendo decides to reissue some of their other Game & Watch titles, you've got my money.  

Indeed. Releasing a new unit with the exact same form factor (and color screen) as the SMB unit, but with a collection of Game & Watch games would be an interesting product for many. They could easily fit these into the unit:

- Ball

- Flagman

- Vermin

- Fire

- Manhole

- Helmet

- Lion

- Parachute

- Octopus

- Chef

- Egg

- Turtle Bridge

- Donkey Kong Junior

- Mario's Cement Factory

- Tropical Fish

- Super Mario Bros

- Climber

- Balloon Fight

Many of the best Game & Watches are the ones with two screens, but I think the list above contains enough interesting classics. You can leave this in your coat pocket, take it out whenever, and play whichever game you're in the mood to play.

Flagman and Lion could be a bit awkward to play, but it could work with a combination of D-Pad and buttons I suppose. Sadly, they probably couldn't include Popeye and Snoopy Tennis because of licensing. T'would be nice if they could manage it though.

Fire Attack could also be included, but they'd need to replace the far west setting with a circus backdrop and replace the Indians with monkeys, because 2020.

The best thing is that they wouldn't need to alter anything in the physical design of the unit: Use the same electronics, controls, screen and casing as the SMB unit, and just do reproductions of their G&W games like they did with Ball. And they could include clock features too, of course.

Edited by Pixelboy
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, 7800Knight said:

I wouldn't mind the licensed Game & Watch titles like Popeye or Peanuts, but I wonder if there are copyright/trademark issues.

They could probably get away with replacing Popeye/Bluto/Olive with Mario/DK/Pauline. Same goes with Snoopy Tennis, just replace the Peanuts characters with various Mario characters.

• Haha 1

Speaking of Game & Watch plus Popeye and Peanuts...I gotta share this cool 1983 TV commercial for the Nintendo G&W!

This remains a favorite of mine not just because I like the 1980s and G&W - this is a rare occurrence to see Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Popeye the Sailor and the Peanuts crew all together!

Hmm...I wonder what the chances are of Popeye and Snoopy being in the next Smash Brothers game.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 7800Knight said:

Hmm...I wonder what the chances are of Popeye and Snoopy being in the next Smash Brothers game.

I was goign to say that Popeye may make it, but he is still under copyright until 2025 in the US. He's no longer copyrighted elsewhere in the world so Nintendo could offer Popeye as a character in Smash in Europea and Japan, and to stay in topic, make a Popeye -themed G&W and/or include their Popeye games without paying royalties.

Though, I can't say about Japan, but Popeye isn't a very well know character in Europe (I mean most people know Popeye and his spinach, it's just that it's not really a character that will draw attention) so it's unlikely that Nintendo would bother doing so.

I'm actually somewhat disappointed..  disappointed it doesn't have a metal kickstand like a standard Game and Watch!   How the heck are you supposed to display the clock or put this on a shelf??

Aside from that this thing is really well made. The packaging is real nice with the box transforming to the "Ball" screen when you take off the sleeve, and was obviously meant to be kept/collected. I always thought Nintendo missed the boat by not making a full blown (the Club Nintendo ones don't count) Game & Watch Gallery 5 for the DS/3DS which could have done justice to the dual-screen games, but things like this make me hopeful they'll make more cool little nostalgia collectibles in the future.  I'm also glad it seems to be pretty well stocked, Amazon is still selling them for example. 

4 hours ago, Classic Pac said:

Don't get me wrong I know some are actually excited about this. But me, not so and not for $50. I already can play SMB on my PSP via an emulator. Plus I already own SMB Deluxe on the GBC. To me it's nice, but certainly not for me.

Join the club man... not even counting emulation, there's flashcarts, nes, NT Mini, MiSter, etc. Soon you can play SMB on your toaster and fridge :lol: Although to be honest I don't think the attraction of this is to play Super Mario Bros exactly, rather it's the novelty of the product.  :)

3 hours ago, The Usotsuki said:

He'll still be a trademarked character, copyright or no copyright.

Last I knew, Namco had somehow acquired the rights to Nintendo's Popeye game.

There is a difference between the character in itself and the derived works.

The Popeye video games can't be freely distributed or used, but it doesn't mean Namco could sue someone for using Popeye in another video game.

As for the trademark, it's... complex. Some seems to think that it wouldn't hold much water since the name is part of the character, other seems to think it would be basically barring anyone form using Popeye (but still agrees that you could slap a picture of Popey on your product). It also probably depends on where this would take place.

In France, a series of characters created in the 1910's fell in public domain, and the grand-son of the original creator started to draw new adventures of the characters with their names.

The copyright holder of the rights to later use of the character sued... and lost, the Court settling that the characters and their names were public domain. However, only the design of the original 1910 characters could be used, not the most well-know 1934 redesign by a later artist that are still under copyright.

Tho in that case, I'm not sure that the name of the comic was trademarked or not.

• Thanks 1

A friend showed me this the other day. Pretty nice unit overall! That screen is quite solid.

Just saw a video though that said there's no data line on the USB connection, so easy hacking is out the window. That sucks.. I'd love to have one of these loaded up with a bunch of NES games.

• Like 2

On 10/16/2020 at 8:08 PM, 0078265317 said:

Then you can just get a C to earphones adapter.

Does anyone know for sure if you can use the above to use earphones with this? Also is there an AC adapter you can use to charge it instead of plugging into a machine? If so what the power and wattage rating? Thanks!

Edited by thegamezmaster
want added info