IGNORED

Season 10 ~ Weeks 18/19 ~ Hot HomeBrews

Vocelli

9 minutes ago, Rogerpoco said:

City Defense-14,015

A little better, and quite possibly about where my "talent runs out", lol, this might be it for me.

Really, not bad at all, all three games are definitely a treat!

2600CityDefense14015.png

Great score! Im glad you enjoyed the the homebrew games this season and thanks for the kind words ?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Great score! Im glad you enjoyed the the homebrew games this season and thanks for the kind words ?

Sometimes it takes more than a "first glance" to really appreciate something-

The cursor being crippled by the loss of the Power Base is a super sweet touch, if only the Base weren't so far away from your cannon, and hard to defend!

:P

(Teasing, it's "perfect", nice!)

Love my Aussies, too, BTW, couple of my best game buds are down there!!!

It seemed to me like at first the cursor didn't really properly respond to what I thought I expected, but after a few tries it was pretty intuitive as to how to move it, and very "fair".

No lie, if it were this or Missile Command, "stuck on a deserted island"(...with electricity.)(and an Atari, etc...), I'd pick City Defense, hands down!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Rogerpoco said:

Sometimes it takes more than a "first glance" to really appreciate something-

The cursor being crippled by the loss of the Power Base is a super sweet touch, if only the Base weren't so far away from your cannon, and hard to defend!

(Teasing, it's "perfect", nice!)

Love my Aussies, too, BTW, couple of my best game buds are down there!!!

It seemed to me like at first the cursor didn't really properly respond to what I thought I expected, but after a few tries it was pretty intuitive as to how to move it, and very "fair".

No lie, if it were this or Missile Command, "stuck on a deserted island"(...with electricity.)(and an Atari, etc...), I'd pick City Defense, hands down!

Thanks mate :) Yeah there is some reasons behind the powerstation and how it came to be. First off with the game in general, rather then trying to push the 2600's limits i went in a different direction with CD. I wanted to concentrate more on the gameplay aspect and strategy, more-so then a clone of Missile Command. Hence the reason the graphics are nothing spectacular.

The powerstation actually became a feature after thinking long and hard about a limitation of BASIC itself. By default bB does not utilize the outer reaches of playfield (P0) to save machine cycles unlike assembler. So once again rather then pushing the limits i decided to fill that space with an additional "special" building. This worked in my favor as with the early builds of CD i noticed many would play defensive protecting the inner city and could play wave after wave without much of a threat.

So by adding the special building that actually cripples the player and prevents them from gaining a high score. It actually pulls the player out to take risks and protect it. Having the faster targeting system is an advantage as you can save more buildings. The more buildings saved per round the higher the rewards after each wave.

So from what was a limitation became a feature of risk verses reward that then later improved gameplay ?

I know the game is an acquired taste much like Missile Command however im glad you enjoy it ?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vocelli said:

OK.... Moderator Judgement call.

Assuming that any score over 20k,  mistakenly used the glitch....

...All current scores over 20k will have to be replayed.

Sorry.... I will inform all players about the glitch who posted over 20k.

Lol, no worries!

@KaeruYojimbo-

Sorry, Man-this isn't the first time, accidentally "breaking" games is something I've done quite a bit, somehow...

I got the ball stuck, just let the game roll over.

Didn't "count" for a high score tho.

Wasn't my "fault".

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vocelli said:

OK.... Moderator Judgement call.

Assuming that any score over 20k,  mistakenly used the glitch....

...All current scores over 20k will have to be replayed.

Sorry.... I will inform all players about the glitch who posted over 20k.

Actually(sorry for the double quote), mebbe check with Pat and McCallister-I have seen a 30k game w/o the glitch exploited on youtube, and I know both of those Guys are actually good at these type games, so tho I do not know, I do think it's possible that either of their scores could have possibly been "glitch free".

Mine, obviously, wasn't.

Me and my big mouth...

:D

• Like 3

TO ALL PLAYERS,

There was a glitch in the Ms. Galactopus game that gave high amounts of bonus points to players when completing a round.

Did your score include a massive bonus at some point in your posted score?

Just let me know. We will have to disregard that score. Sorry.

Also, please do not use the previous BIN file... it has the glitch.

Use the newly posted BIN file in the original thread.... the glitch was fixed.

Thanks, 

Vocelli

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

ZeroPage Homebrew will be trying for some high scores in the HSC challenge on all three homebrew games Ms Galactopus , City Defence and Doggone It! on tomorrow's (Fri Sep 11) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 8

Doggone It!-47,981

50K is looking more and more possible, but phew.

Top-notch stuff, I just want to keep playing this game, tho many attempts wind up "15 minutes of my life I want back" when it goes to poo, the "good ones" are rewarding as heck, feels exactly like a "good game" should make you feel.

2600Doggoneit47981.png

Edited by Rogerpoco
  • Like 7

It was a blast playing all three games last night on the ZPH stream.  Here are the highest scores we got! We'll probably give Ms. Galactopus and Doggone It! another go before the end of the contest to see if we can improve our scores. ?

- James

Ms. Galactopus:

ZeroPageHomebrew (James): 15755

ZeroPageHomebrew (Tanya): 10220

image.thumb.png.db931adb305415c274065a8af33bc49c.png

image.thumb.png.1d81fb0a44e21ee1a328aba8fc38c411.png

City Defence:

ZeroPageHomebrew (James): 4947

ZeroPageHomebrew (Tanya): 781

image.thumb.png.3b32ae8e27099816d365736597b1092c.png

image.thumb.png.f5369be2f46c8887e5df467c05537bb9.png

Doggone It!: