IGNORED

Retro Gamer Magazine (UK)

I was gifted a copy of issue #200. 

Not touched the magazine in years. 

I see the standard of research and writing hasn't improved. 

Sony's Game Changer feature on the Playstation by David Crookes. 

The conversion of Ridge Rager to the Playstation was described as being Arcade Perfect... ?

It runs at a lower resolution, with a lower framerate (30 frames per second for NTSC, 25 for PAL) and the graphical detail has been cut down. 

• 2 weeks later...
Just been asked to complete a survey.
I didn't hold back.

I got the same survey and did the same. In the survey questions it mentioned temporarily storing issues, but this is the first I heard of that. Hopefully I’ll get a response back since my last inquiry has gone unanswered. :(

I was actually considering letting go RETRO Magazine because I can't take care of it. (working on a VOD project atm) but if RETRO Gamer is having trouble fulfilling the US. I'd be interested in distribute it through RETRO. Basically they do the content, we do the fulfillment. Getting the content done is the most difficult part for us.

Printing and shipping is part of our daily operations. If members are interested in something like this, request to their customer service. I will reach out to Darran.

• Like 1

Well, at least we have an opportunity to give feedback and I am fairly confident they will reach out themselves after the results come in to see what can be done, fingers crossed.

I used to have more faith. Infact ironically Future who now own RG were 100% spot on with Subs BITD as they ran all the major computer / console mags here.

When one of my mags was shut down, they gave me a whole year of another one for free. I only had 2 months remaining I think it was.

Of course this global situation has not helped, but on the other hand, one of the few groups of people who were excluded / out and about working during Lockdown was the post office workers.

I personally am working on a retro themed magazine. I hoped to have the preview mini issue ready for download by now, but that got delayed for obvious reasons that you may have gathered, but when I launch it proper I am going to have someone / a contact in the USA making sure the physical issues are printed and distributed locally.

I think for a big market like the US, that is a 'no-brainer' as we say here. Also you can put the words ' Printed in the USA ' on them.

23 hours ago, PikoInteractive said:

I was actually considering letting go RETRO Magazine because I can't take care of it. (working on a VOD project atm) but if RETRO Gamer is having trouble fulfilling the US. I'd be interested in distribute it through RETRO. Basically they do the content, we do the fulfillment. Getting the content done is the most difficult part for us.

Printing and shipping is part of our daily operations. If members are interested in something like this, request to their customer service. I will reach out to Darran.

If you could get some printing agreement for Retro Gamer to publish/print that in the NA (US) market for them, consider me a day one sign up when you take that first issue to print.  I dislike strongly the problems they have getting their stuff here and at the even higher costs and that was before virus, now it's even worse trying to just find a random issue.

• 2 weeks later...

While I never got any replies to my messages to Retro Gamer (or the survey for that matter), my missing issues are starting to trickle in. Got one last week and two more today. They’re not arriving in any sort of numerical order, and look to be shipped from somewhere in the US.

• Like 3

Their "In The Chair" interview with Jane Whittaker just highlighted the fact they were happy to print any utter nonsense from industry people, just to fill pages. 

Whittaker talks of coding Stellar Trader for the ZX81 from a hospital bed and his father selling it all over the world.. 

Really? You coded versions for PAl, SECAM and NTSC TV systems, from a kit built ZX81... ?

Whittaker talks of doing 33 games for Graftgold over a three year period... 

And talks grandly about his role on converting Flying Shark to the Amstrad CPC. 

Steve Turner gives a very different account :

I also had a letter from Andrew Whittaker. He seemed to really know his stuff on the Z80. He impressed me at his interview with knowledge of Z80 interrupts and Spectrum techniques.  I needed an Amstrad programmer so decided to take him on as well. He was the only one that was a bad choice. Doubts arose when he had difficulty setting up the Amstrad CPC and seemed to be asking the others to for assistance all the time. I wanted to give him a fair chance so specified a sound routine for the Amstrad based on the logic of the C64 version and the specification of the AY sound chip. Most of the logic could just be ported and translated from 6502 to Z80. The instructions to send data to the chip would have to be recoded but the AY was much simpler. It was a task that anyone with a bit of Z80 should have found easy. It became obvious that he was not up to the job. In the end I had to admit I had made a big mistake. Andrew was the only one not to pass the probationary period. I cannot remember using anything that he produced and had to take the Amstrad version over myself. I am amazed that now he claims to have been a programmer on not only Flying Shark but  many of our other games.  It is simply not true,  the only games the team were programming at the time were Flying Shark while I was finishing Magnetron and Andrew Braybrook was finishing Morpheus. Andrew Whittaker may have played some of these but  did not contribute to the programming. It just shows you that you cannot believe all people say about themselves on the internet or in magazine interviews. The credit should go to the people who deserve it. Dominic Robinson  did a superb job on the Spectrum version  and John Cumming did an excellent job on the graphics.

http://graftgold.blogspot.com/2019/09/i-have-not-blogged-for-six-months.html

He tells a tall story about the origins of Midwinter and a Chinese Restaurant episode, again complete and utter nonsense, with Maelstrom sources being outraged by what they saw.... 

https://www.icemark.com/blog/archives/2018/04/16/midwinter-sid-meier-and-the-chinese-restaurant/

Goes onto talk utter nonsense about H. R Giger asking Whittaker to make a game based on his art.. (#Giger went on record to say he only sold the art to Cyberdreams, never saw Dark Seed until after game was finished and wasn't impressed by it) and that Whittaker was scanned in as the main character, not Mike Dawson... 

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/101991/Playing_Catch_Up_Darkseeds_Mike_Dawson.php

They also allow Whittaker to take credit for working on the Jaguar hardware design... 

Claiming M2 Power Crystal was finished, but canned because the M2 was canned (Perceptions went under some months before the plug was pulled on the M2) 

Whittaker also claims Mike Singleton invented the texture map... the original technique was pioneered by Edwin Catmull in 1974...

They don't correct basic errors.. It was 3D Starstrike, not Starstrike 3D Jane and Realtime had done Starstrike II and the ZX Spectrum and Amstrad CPC conversions of Starglider by the time you claim they visited Mike... 

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TMAN34 said:

So far i have recieved issues 207,209, and 210.

Missing 206,208 and 211+

I've received issues 208 and 209 (both badly damaged), and yesterday I got 210 and 211. Never got 206 and 207 and there's no way to request those issues from the site.

What's the current issue?

I've received issues 208 and 209 (both badly damaged), and yesterday I got 210 and 211. Never got 206 and 207 and there's no way to request those issues from the site.

What's the current issue?

I’m missing issues 209, and 211+. It looks like 213 is the current issue in the UK from what I’ve been able to ascertain.

• 2 months later...

I have not received anything since Issue 211.

I finally gave up and sent an email today requesting for them to cancel my subscription and issue a refund.  They can blame global shipping conditions all they want, but I don't have this same issue with any of the other magazines I receive from the UK.

I have not received anything since Issue 211.

I finally gave up and sent an email today requesting for them to cancel my subscription and issue a refund.  They can blame global shipping conditions all they want, but I don't have this same issue with any of the other magazines I receive from the UK.

This whole situation is frustrating. I did eventually receive #211 but nothing since. I even requested replacement issues but haven’t got anything. I have gotten a few Kickstarter packages from the UK without issue.

Post back about how the refund goes since I’ve been thinking of doing the same.

4 minutes ago, schnuth said:

This whole situation is frustrating. I did eventually receive #211 but nothing since. I even requested replacement issues but haven’t got anything. I have gotten a few Kickstarter packages from the UK without issue.

Post back about how the refund goes since I’ve been thinking of doing the same.

The strange thing is, I also subscribe to Classic Rock Magazine, which in theory is coming from the same publisher.  But I have continued to receive all my Classic Rock Magazine issues as expected.  Sure, there have been some occasional delays during Covid, but they eventually catch up.  I just received Issue 284 of Classic Rock Magazine, which I believe was released a few weeks ago, so that was right on time.  But meanwhile I am 5+ issues behind on Retro Gamer?  It just doesn't make sense. 

Edited by Sargon
  • Like 1

Out of the blue I received my replacement issue for #212 today. I requested it months ago but there was no date on the envelope so I have no idea when it shipped. It did however ship from France.

I’m still missing 213+ as well as 209. I went ahead and requested every issue I haven’t received to be resent again. Since there is zero communication I have no idea if I’ll ever get them. So frustrating. atariage_icon_sad.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Issue 215 (the Neo Geo issue) showed up out of the blue. Looks like this shipped from Germany. I know the German Post wasn’t mailing anything to the US for many months, so hopefully other missing issues will show up.

I also got another questionnaire about their service which I savaged them on. I put in my info to be contacted, but judging from their recent customer service that won’t happen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...