IGNORED

Composite modding

Dan Ritter

I think for most people it would increase the value.  I have one or two Intellivisions that have been modified with composite output, and I much prefer them to RF-based systems.  I personally would pay more for one.  There are collectors and/or purists, though, who would prefer an original, unmodified system. 

..Al

• Thanks 1

Well, it depends.  :)

I think, as a collector, that the system must be in original condition aside from necessities like capacitor replacements, etc.

But, for day to day playability, I prefer systems that are modded for convenience and modern television connections.

So, if you are a museum, original condition.  For actual players, probably modded.  Some folks are both.

29 minutes ago, Albert said:

I think for most people it would increase the value.  I have one or two Intellivisions that have been modified with composite output, and I much prefer them to RF-based systems.  I personally would pay more for one.  There are collectors and/or purists, though, who would prefer an original, unmodified system. 

..Al

That's why one would have both... the playing unit would have composite (or better) output and the units that are part of your collection would be unmodified

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dan Ritter said:

Does it increase the value of an Intellivision if you composite mod it? Or do people prefer it kept in it's original condition? I just got a bunch of old Intellivision 1s from a second hand store and I'm wondering if composite modding them would increase or decrease their value.

I own an RGB modded Inty, a step above composite, so the games play in HD, and it is absolutely stunning.  I much prefer to play on a modded system, but collectors might not want it modded.  All depends on what they plan to use it for.

5 minutes ago, KylJoy said:

Well, it depends.  :)

I think, as a collector, that the system must be in original condition aside from necessities like capacitor replacements, etc.

But, for day to day playability, I prefer systems that are modded for convenience and modern television connections.

So, if you are a museum, original condition.  For actual players, probably modded.  Some folks are both.

Which is worth more on ebay?

2 minutes ago, Dan Ritter said:

Which is worth more on ebay?

You'll be hard pressed to find a modded one for sale on eBay.  I just did a search and don't see any.  I was lucky to buy my RGB modded one for $180.  I would think a composite mod would be more expensive too.  Original ones with RF output are about half that, around $90-$100 on eBay.

Edited by IntyFanMatt

As has been stated. I own multiple units. My primary actual use Intelly is a Sears unit that I picked up for like $2 at the local thrift in the late 90s early 2000s. It is my most beat up looking intellivision and actually didn't work. So while it is all Sears Super Video Arcade on the outside, it actually has a standard Intellivision 2609 mainboard installed into it. I've used 3 different composite mods in it until I found one I was happy with for now, but would like a better solution. There was talk of a new RGB being developed for it but I haven't heard much on that lately. I would really like to have at least s-video output but I don't believe there is a way to do that and it would require something more sophisticated to reprocess the video signals to provide an s-video output option. And if you have to do that anyway, might as well just have your board output in RGB?

But yeah...I own multiple units of each of my consoles pretty much and only mod the ones that are most abused looking and will be my daily driver consoles.

• Like 1

RGB modded is more complicated to install and the mod itself much more expensive to purchase so these are indeed more expensive.  Also, the image is significantly better but the mod WILL NOT WORK with an OSSC and requires an RGB modded TV/Monitor or an expensive Framemeister xRGB-mini to function, at least for the common RGB mod that used to be for sale.

Composite mod might add a few bucks to a stand-alone system.  Especially since RF-ready TVs are somewhat less common today.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KylJoy said:

That price is not bad considering the RGB mod itself is pretty expensive, if I remember correctly.  Also, I don't think you can get them anymore.

Yeah I was happy with that price. And the system is in perfect condition, and I play it all the time in the High Score club.  It is truly awesome.  I would love to buy another one. But I haven’t seen another mod since. 

Just now, IntyFanMatt said:

Yeah I was happy with that price. And the system is in perfect condition, and I play it all the time in the High Score club.  It is truly awesome.  I would love to buy another one. But I haven’t seen another mod since. 

Uh...  Wait a minute...  Did I sell that to you?  LOL

6 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Original unmodded consoles would be worth the most. Most modders I've seen do crap work. I would do the work myself.

Except that I think the OP is asking what sells for the most on ebay and currently a modded system of any kind is selling usually higher prices than stock. Have you see what some are asking and apparently getting for modded systems? Very temping for sure but I haven't the time to do shop the cheapest price for systems to mod. Mainly why I only work on systems that are sent to me for services.

• Like 2

Just now, -^CrossBow^- said:

Except that I think the OP is asking what sells for the most on ebay and currently a modded system of any kind is selling usually higher prices than stock. Have you see what some are asking and apparently getting for modded systems? Very temping for sure but I haven't the time to do shop the cheapest price for systems to mod. Mainly why I only work on systems that are sent to me for services.

Yeah, modified systems are definitely worth more, and for good reason.  Someone took the time to purchase and install an A/V mod, which obviously adds value to the system for someone looking for such a thing. 

..Al

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Hey CrossBow, do you do modding services, RGB and composite?  And do you also fix things like broken controllers?

9 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Hey CrossBow, do you do modding services, RGB and composite?  And do you also fix things like broken controllers?

My store sells repair parts for both inty consoles (Original style and Intellivision 2). I have have brand new OEM controller mylars if your controllers are getting wonky.

feel free to message me if you need something i don't have listed on the site. I have tons that i haven't listed yet.

www.intellivisioncollector.com

17 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Yes but I don't have any of the RGB kits. I do have composite kits on hand and can do that. And I also have the replacement mylars like Kamikazi26 stated above. I only have a few of them but I do have them. And as that is really the only thing that makes everything work in the controller, that is the primary thing to replace. The only other possible issues with controllers would be if the contact pins from the cable to the mylar aren't making good contact or if the wiring is broken within the cable sheathing itself along the fully cable length somewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kamikazi26 said:

My store sells repair parts for both inty consoles (Original style and Intellivision 2). I have have brand new OEM controller mylars if your controllers are getting wonky.

feel free to message me if you need something i don't have listed on the site. I have tons that i haven't listed yet.

www.intellivisioncollector.com

Thank you very much, I appreciate that! However I do not know how to do the repairs myself, so I have to pay someone to do that as well…