IGNORED

Pre-release brochure

Atari_Bill

Ok, I’ve found something new that is right up there amongst the favorite Intellivision items in my collection.  There may be others of these out there, but it’s the first time I had ever seen this.  The seller told me it came from a former Mattel employee and was the initial information release at the Toy Fair where Intellivision was debuted. It’s definitely early as it highlights the keyboard component and the pics of Auto Racing and Space Battle still show pre-production pics. Anyone else seen one of these?  Here’s a few pages but there are a few more. 

3A86CA7C-943E-4934-BE17-890923906AEA.jpeg

A4332FCF-2D2B-4B25-9B12-7667774FCA82.jpeg

5B7BAB0E-1F43-4D4E-9C25-804AD4645E89.jpeg

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Atari_Bill said:

Ok, I’ve found something new that is right up there amongst the favorite Intellivision items in my collection.  There may be others of these out there, but it’s the first time I had ever seen this.  The seller told me it came from a former Mattel employee and was the initial information release at the Toy Fair where Intellivision was debuted. It’s definitely early as it highlights the keyboard component and the pics of Auto Racing and Space Battle still show pre-production pics. Anyone else seen one of these?  Here’s a few pages but there are a few more. 

3A86CA7C-943E-4934-BE17-890923906AEA.jpeg

A4332FCF-2D2B-4B25-9B12-7667774FCA82.jpeg

5B7BAB0E-1F43-4D4E-9C25-804AD4645E89.jpeg

That is awesome! Never seen that before. That might enter name your price/trade territory. ?

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

Intellivision reportedly debuted at winter CES 1979.  This brochure could be 1979 or 1980.  I know they were showing a different keyboard component mockup before what's shown here.  Never seen this brochure before.

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/intellivision-gameteacher

Reading it over a bit more, the brochure talks about an upcoming advertising blitz in October, November, & December to introduce their new product so I’m assuming this would have been from one of 1979 CES shows. 

I also noticed if you look closely at the in store rack on the back, the box mock up on the bottom shows “Spelling Fun” instead of Word Fun.  It’s also pretty cool to see alternate overlay versions for Football, Space Battle, and Checkers.  The Intellivision pic on page 2 also shows the console without the ‘Intelligent Television’ tag line on top.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Intellivision wasn't on store shelves nationwide until 1980, so there shouldn't have been a nationwide ad campaign until then.  But that doesn't mean this brochure wasn't used in 1979.

What's the yellow overlay behind armor battle?

That’s ‘Battlestar Galactica Space Battle’. 

6 hours ago, Lathe26 said:

Very awesome find.  There are a lot of mock up and early art images in this brochure.  First page shows Football on the screen with the original brown color.  The rack with Spelling Fun has other games in the rack with wrong art.  Etc.  I'll be taking a closer look at this later...

I’m going to try to get some good scans of it all when I get back to work in a few weeks.   I’ll post them when I do. It’s really a fascinating item. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 years later...
On 9/4/2020 at 3:06 PM, Atari_Bill said:

Ok, I’ve found something new that is right up there amongst the favorite Intellivision items in my collection.  There may be others of these out there, but it’s the first time I had ever seen this.  The seller told me it came from a former Mattel employee and was the initial information release at the Toy Fair where Intellivision was debuted.

February 1980.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1