IGNORED

light guns with LCD TVS

Most light guns won't work. Some early models will work, like Pong guns, if you set up light and contrasts in the extremes (they rely on the presence of light, not timing), and light guns using a receptor (like the Philips CD-i gun and the Wiimote) will work because those use the receptor and not the television.

• Like 1

One thing you can do, in part at least, to bypass this is the NES LCD MOD.  There's a person who has hacked most the light gun NES games so that they do work on a modern TV, just requires the rom you supply, their IPS patch, and then an everdrive to get it up on your console.  The original Zapper won't work, but another style of light gun that has a LED in it such a the Tomee Zapp Gun does.  I got one earlier this year, and once you shoot the top of your screen to calibrate, you can start taking shots at ducks.  It's still a work in progress that has come along slowly, but it's better than nothing.

• Like 1

Old guns like the zapper only detect light, the problem is two fold, one, lcd tv's are a few milliseconds of delay, so the light the gun is looking for simply isn't there, and two, the refresh on most lcd was slow enough, even if it did work at the right speed, it often wasn't bright enough to trip the sensor. 

Newer lcd are a LOT better, but it's still more miss than hit, and has been for I long that people just assume it won't work because it can't. Granted, many modern sets actually can't hook up to an unmoded Nintendo anyways.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tanooki said:

One thing you can do, in part at least, to bypass this is the NES LCD MOD.  There's a person who has hacked most the light gun NES games so that they do work on a modern TV, just requires the rom you supply, their IPS patch, and then an everdrive to get it up on your console.  The original Zapper won't work, but another style of light gun that has a LED in it such a the Tomee Zapp Gun does.  I got one earlier this year, and once you shoot the top of your screen to calibrate, you can start taking shots at ducks.  It's still a work in progress that has come along slowly, but it's better than nothing.

I did this works great.