IGNORED

How do you put .WOZ onto real disk?

Keatah

You can use wDrive. Last firmware version allows to copy an image directly from the wDrive (SD card) to a real floppy on the disk drive. It works like a charm..

Also maybe using ADTPro software but I don't tried this way...

Edited by Papalapa

8 hours ago, Papalapa said:

You can use wDrive. Last firmware version allows to copy an image directly from the wDrive (SD card) to a real floppy on the disk drive. It works like a charm..

I wonder if it writes back to disk at the FLUX level (needed for some serious copy protections) or not.

It's one of the things that has disappointed me a bit with my Kryoflux.  I use it all the time for Amiga disks, and it works great for that.

I have saved a couple of my damaged original disks that way.  One I had to carefully open the 3.5" floppy and replace the disk itself as it was apparently physically damaged.

But the support for some other formats isn't always great.

There is a thread on the Kryoflux forums about it, but no activity that I can see.

Now, the formats are well documented.  So I would think someone who knows what they are doing (which isn't me) could write a converter from WOZ to kryoflux stream (and back).  But that hasn't happened.  For some reason, the Kryoflux people don't seem to be as interested in Apple formats.  (Probably because of the European bent and I don't think the Apple line was as popular there...)

Of course, there is the whole other issue of "flippy" disks.  Using the second side of a DS floppy in a single sided drive.

Kryoflux supports that, but only with a modified drive that is not trivial to do and expensive to have someone else do for you.

But you'd need that for a lot of Apple disks also...

I was considering that for my C64 stuff, but then my C64 died (I gave it to Adrian Black along with some other C64 boards he saved) and I got out of C64 a bit and never got back into it retro wise... Although I am playing with BMC64 in a 64 case that is fun. ;-)

So retro wise, I am mostly Amiga (which the Kryoflux works great for), Vic-20 (which doesn't use floppies much), Tandy Model 100 (again, no floppies), and the Apple II line (which would be nice to use Kryoflux for, but it's not there yet).

19 hours ago, Keatah said:

Looks interesting. But out of stock..

Yeah, I don't know why but usually these guys made a batch and then a lot of time passes until the next batch is available. When I purchased the mine time ago I contacted them by e-mail because the website always shown "Out of stock".

17 hours ago, Papalapa said:

Yeah, I don't know why but usually these guys made a batch and then a lot of time passes until the next batch is available. When I purchased the mine time ago I contacted them by e-mail because the website always shown "Out of stock".

I think I read on his Facebook page somewhere that the reason he has things listed as out of stock is due to restrictions being imposed (by his country) on shipping due to Covid...

6 hours ago, Polymorph said:

I think I read on his Facebook page somewhere that the reason he has things listed as out of stock is due to restrictions being imposed (by his country) on shipping due to Covid...

This was the second reason and at the moment the shipping restriction was already gone, in fact I received my second unit after the Covid restrictions of the HK Post service. The first one was purchased on November last year when Covid even still "didn't exists".

You can copy unprotected WOZ images as complete disks from devices that can read files, which includes the wDrive and the FloppyEmu. Many emulators support the WOZ spec as well. I have not used CiderPress at all to write images, but it’s a popular means to do so. 

If you have an Applesauce you can write WOZ images, as well as .DSK, .PO and .2MG files. The Applesauce device requires a MacOS device and a Disk ][ floppy drive to image and write disks. Or an Apple 3.5” drive (and the deluxe version of the Applesauce device) if you want to deal with 3.5” disks. If you want to check out how slick the software is, you can download the Applesauce client for free. Open up an unprotected WOZ to see how the software can parse files. Download any A2R file and open it to see how the disk analyzer works. 

At this time, the WOZ spec does not include all the information needed to write all Apple II disks with an Applesauce device with protection intact. Some protection schemes are supported, but most complex schemes are not. So you can mainly only write unprotected or deprotected WOZ files. 

Future functionality of the Applesauce device is intended to include writing disks using flux images (A2R format or another format to be developed that includes all the necessary information) with protection intact, but that is under development. It is possible that certain arcane protection schemes which were originally written to disks using proprietary hardware may never be supported, but these are considered rare, probably non-existent  on systems other than the Apple II. Currently I am not aware of support from Applesauce for writing flux or other images from non-Apple II or non-Mac formats. 

Support for non-Apple II 5.25” formats is ongoing, with current basic (“Fast Imager”) support for unprotected C64, Atari and single sided only IBM PC software along with most other single density formats you can throw at it.  Flux imaging (including protection, verification and file parsing) of non-Apple formats is under development. 

If you have a compatible Apple 3.5” drive or SuperDrive you can image Apple 3.5” formats as well as many unprotected disks from other formats.

I have imaged numerous disk formats using the device, including Apple II 5.25”, Apple IIgs 3.5”, Mac 400K, Mac 800K, Mac 1.44mb, PC 720K (current build has issues, but already fixed for next update), PC 1.44mb, C64 (unprotected), Atari 8-bit (unprotected), Kaypro, NEC PC-8001, CoCo and TRS-80 (single density only). Non Apple II images can be saved using appropriate file types for their platform, like .IMG or .D64. The Disk ][ drive only supports 36 tracks, so you can  use third party Apple II drives to reach 40 tracks, which is supported by the client and allows for the 40 track non-Apple II formats. Double Density, Double Sided and High Density 5.25” disks or drives are not anticipated to be supported.

The device is available occasionally but usually sells out within a few weeks. Get yourself on the waiting list for the next batch if you are interested. The website is applesaucefdc.com 

I can explain more if you guys have specific questions. I’m not the developer, but I am involved in testing. 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 6:45 PM, Keatah said:

AppleSauce requires a MAC doesn't it? Some say virtualization of El'Capitan through VirtualBox would work - but does it really?

It does require a Mac.

The developer is not anti-Windows, but forking the development  and updates would slow development substantially, especially since the software is constantly under development. I'm sure he would be happy if someone wanted to deal with the Windows side of it, but so far nobody has stepped up. 

"I haven’t heard any issues with it. But most are using Sierra instead of El Capitan.
Need to be sure to allocate 2 or more cores to the VM." That is what the developer of Applesauce said. If you do try and have feedback, I'd love to hear it and I'll pass it along.