IGNORED

They are many - Abbuc SWC 2020 Entry

popmilo

Hi !

Here is a small video with part of gameplay from "They are many".

Game is kind of real time strategy with gathering resources, building stuff, moving units around, and trying to resist incoming zombie attacks that grow in strength over time.

I haven't managed to squeeze in every planed thing into it before deadline but I hope it's enough to show games such as this are totally possible on A8.
We need more games like this imho. Coderz please consider building much more complex worlds and game mechanics.

Cheers !
PopMilo

ps. There's only one sfx (shoot) in game, so please put on some atmospheric music in your room before playing the game ;)

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skr said:

Believe me: They do. :)

Yeah, didn't have time to finish shooting arrows, but they do kill them and maybe too easy... I'll balance game till voting is finished, so gameplay will be better. I didn't have time to properly test it as I was making it playable in last couple hours till deadline :)

Map is filled with zombies at start, and they move randomly... But as time goes, they become more and more aggressive till they just think about one thing and that is getting to the middle where your start house is.
And if they come in contact with anything in between they destroy it slowly.

I wish char mode would have more colors, but even then I would go for bitmap next time and make sprites move pixel by pixel.

I must repeat, we need more rts and turn based games. Dune, C&C, battle issle, panzer general type of games...

• Like 6

19 hours ago, popmilo said:

Yeah, didn't have time to finish shooting arrows, but they do kill them and maybe too easy... I'll balance game till voting is finished, so gameplay will be better. I didn't have time to properly test it as I was making it playable in last couple hours till deadline :)

Hi Popmilo,

it sounds like you hadn't enough time to implement all your planned features due to the tight deadline. 

Are you planning to further feature enhance the game after the Abbuc competition?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, starfighter said:

Hi Popmilo,

it sounds like you hadn't enough time to implement all your planned features due to the tight deadline. 

Are you planning to further feature enhance the game after the Abbuc competition?

Yes. I'm working on shooting arrow animation, need to balance some numbers, and add some effects for house attack etc...

To be honest I never played till I've reached edge of map, so my guess there are some bugs when you build stuff close to edge too... Forgive me :)

2 hours ago, popmilo said:

Yes. I'm working on shooting arrow animation, need to balance some numbers, and add some effects for house attack etc...

To be honest I never played till I've reached edge of map, so my guess there are some bugs when you build stuff close to edge too... Forgive me :)

Nothing to forgive about! I think it’s great that you will continue working on it and thanks for your contribution to the contest! Are you planning on releasing the source code? Might help to motivate others to do similar games.

What language did you code in? Assembly, C, MadPascal or something else? I would think MadPascal should be very suitable for such a game genre.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, starfighter said:

Nothing to forgive about! I think it’s great that you will continue working on it and thanks for your contribution to the contest! Are you planning on releasing the source code? Might help to motivate others to do similar games.

What language did you code in? Assembly, C, MadPascal or something else? I would think MadPascal should be very suitable for such a game genre.

Share code, sure, great idea :)

Maybe someone won't like it, but it's written using "c64" kickassembler ;)

All I did to make it work was to add some bytes in start and end of output bin so it's regular Atari xex file. Kickass has so many nice scripting features that I just couldn't go back to Mads after couple c64 demo projects I did last year...

Entire source code is in couple asm files (main code and memory map, var definition file) and single python script that does gfx conversion from couple pngs (tiles, sprites, cursor, font, title screen, map).

For a turn based game I agree with you about madpascal or even cc65. This realtime thing with map 96x96 and zombie every 10 cells roughly, means there's 1000 enemies to process. Trust me, all that looking where zombie should go, path finding, attack, erase, draw takes time... Of course there are tricks like process only what's on screen and do as much as you can outside that "current player focus" area.

It's great fun, I encourage everybody who has any coding skill to just try :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, popmilo said:

Share code, sure, great idea :)

Maybe someone won't like it, but it's written using "c64" kickassembler ;)

All I did to make it work was to add some bytes in start and end of output bin so it's regular Atari xex file. Kickass has so many nice scripting features that I just couldn't go back to Mads after couple c64 demo projects I did last year...

This realtime thing with map 96x96 and zombie every 10 cells roughly, means there's 1000 enemies to process. 

Ah, interesting approach, but makes perfectly sense if you code for multiple platforms. Both machines share the same CPU after all.

Wow, 1000 enemies at once! I would not have imagined that! Really cool ?

20 hours ago, zbyti said:

Screenshot_2020-09-09_11-56-30.png.e6a6d7f5c2ca8b0fd595338cefbdde98.png

It's nice to see that comparisson, thanks !
Is there source code of those tests available ?

One more thing that makes sense for asm coding is memory. I haven't used pascal or those basic variants, but cc65 memory footprint does tend to blow up quickly.

So even if you can make things fast enough you find yourself not finding space for them :)

On 9/7/2020 at 10:28 AM, Gury said:

Hi popmilo, I like your game. The atmospheric music adds to the gameplay :) This kind of music could be done on some extent with some clever looping in POKEY sound channels.

I don't believe that it is a good basis for a POKEY tune. The atmospheric sound is a lot depending on sine wave. Using 15kHz will be too noisy or the tune will suffocate inbetween .

That's why I tried to play with this tune: 

It's very small, very low  on cpu  , and uses POKEY fx to add sound variations. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, emkay said:

I don't believe that it is a good basis for a POKEY tune. The atmospheric sound is a lot depending on sine wave. Using 15kHz will be too noisy or the tune will suffocate inbetween .

That's why I tried to play with this tune: 

It's very small, very low  on cpu  , and uses POKEY fx to add sound variations. 

Not bad !
How does player work ?

is it rmt or something else ?