IGNORED

My new arcade stick!

Lord Helmet

Thought long and hard about an X-Arcade Tankstick...but this was half the price on Amazon so I took a chance...

After modding with a Tron stick, a Sanwa stick, and a TurboTwist...I’m in RetroPie heaven. This thing is built like a tank, and with the mods I can play pretty much anything with near arcade perfect controls.

Next is to build myself a similar setup with a steering wheel.

351dbba3e325af789ef4aebf2d15e8a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Would this unit be hard to modify for someone with no experience?

I've been looking for an all in 1 setup like this to cover all options. If I had both sticks set to 8 way for crazy climber (my favorite), have you ever heard of a controller that would also be able to have another 4 way stick on it for games like pac man also so I would never have to change or mess with controllers?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2020 at 1:49 AM, Lord Helmet said:

Thought long and hard about an X-Arcade Tankstick...but this was half the price on Amazon so I took a chance...

After modding with a Tron stick, a Sanwa stick, and a TurboTwist...I’m in RetroPie heaven. This thing is built like a tank, and with the mods I can play pretty much anything with near arcade perfect controls.

Next is to build myself a similar setup with a steering wheel.

351dbba3e325af789ef4aebf2d15e8a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im doing something really similar.. I Already have a Full size Cab and a Bartop.. I didnt need another 2 player controller.. but a 1 player controller with a spinner, Trackball, and a Tron stick was a perfect idea. Ive changed the buttons for LED ones and Im going to pull the T-molding.. But Im hung up on one thing.. How did you mount Tron Stick. I have a plan but involved some irrevocable Dremel work to the Tron base and Joystick mounting hole. Were you able to figure a good alternative? Thanks for your Post... It got me building and Modding again.  Im excited to Play some Satan's Hollow and Gorf with the Tronstick! My Pic is from Test fit.

tronnn.jpg

2 hours ago, THEMAGAMER said:

Im doing something really similar.. I Already have a Full size Cab and a Bartop.. I didnt need another 2 player controller.. but a 1 player controller with a spinner, Trackball, and a Tron stick was a perfect idea. Ive changed the buttons for LED ones and Im going to pull the T-molding.. But Im hung up on one thing.. How did you mount Tron Stick. I have a plan but involved some irrevocable Dremel work to the Tron base and Joystick mounting hole. Were you able to figure a good alternative? Thanks for your Post... It got me building and Modding again.  Im excited to Play some Satan's Hollow and Gorf with the Tronstick! My Pic is from Test fit.

tronnn.jpg

Really cool and a similar setup for sure. Ya I ended up doing a pretty good amount of work to get the tron stick to fit correctly. Next on my list is some sort of better restrictor gate for that stick. The arcade version had a 4 way gate with soft corners so you could hit the diagonals if you wanted to, but wouldn't have control issues on the Light Cycles round. Even an octagonal gate might do the trick, but the GRS stick doesn't come with one of those. Here's more info on the Tron arcade restrictor if you're interested: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,71229.msg734487.html?PHPSESSID=jj3vdnlinc2grr0hf6ukg9lvr1#new

Edited by Lord Helmet

1 hour ago, Lord Helmet said:

Really cool and a similar setup for sure. Ya I ended up doing a pretty good amount of work to get the tron stick to fit correctly. Next on my list is some sort of better restrictor gate for that stick. The arcade version had a 4 way gate with soft corners so you could hit the diagonals if you wanted to, but wouldn't have control issues on the Light Cycles round. Even an octagonal gate might do the trick, but the GRS stick doesn't come with one of those. Here's more info on the Tron arcade restrictor if you're interested: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,71229.msg734487.html?PHPSESSID=jj3vdnlinc2grr0hf6ukg9lvr1#new

I have been trying to figure that out too. .. ive been playing Tron since 1982.. (and suck)..i built a previous control panel out of heavy duty pistol grip controller. It felt more like a tron stick even when it didnt look like one.. I tried to cut rubber to restrict diagonals.. but it fell apart after a week or so. Ill post a pic when im done. Thanks for the inspiration 

images (1).jpeg

• 7 months later...

I just took on this project, hoping to add GRS Tron sticks, spinner and LED trackball to a "cabinet only" purchase of the same Atari cabinet as the OP, since it looks so great; But, yeah, everything is off a bit from the original components. Under-board recessions too small, screw holes off, 2" trackball in 2.5 inch hole. Without a shop, this will take some doing.

Oh, and the collection Sanwa buttons I have are too big for the button holes and are the short snap in kind, while the button holes are over 0.5 inches deep, so need to get some more buttons.

So, i've got parts coming in over the next month. I think some are low-key coming from China for the July 21-29th est. delivery ones (player 1, 2 , coin and pause happ-style buttons). I don't need ultra-high quality for the low use buttons and they came as a pack.

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd share some of my modifications for the microcenter Atari fight stick.  I used to have an X-arcade Tankstick, but I sold it when I saw the Atari fight stick.  I liked the fact that the internal was easily accessible to allow for modifications.  I ended up replacing both joysticks with GRS tron sticks and the 8 way to 4 way switch. Someone asked earlier about how it was mounted.  I added photos of my modifications to the panel and the tron base for anyone interested. Also added two GRS push pull spinners.  I placed it above the joystick which still allowed easy access and was out of the way from the buttons and joystick. 

IMG_8081.jpg

IMG_8079.jpg

IMG_8213.jpg

IMG_8215.jpg

IMG_8233.jpg

IMG_8231.jpg

IMG_8216.jpg