IGNORED

Season 18 Round 3 of 15 - Contra

asponge

I had a bunch of stupid deaths earlier on and did not even expect to beat loop 4. But somehow I did. And I entered loop 5 with only three lives. At some point the game stops giving extra lives so be careful.

I must have been running on adrenaline or something. I made it through the energy zone, hangar and most of the alien's lair in the fifth loop without dying and only two lives left. But then I messed up near the end and died. I still got a pretty good score.

• Like 1

I wasn't sure what to expect with the LSC.  Before posting this I never tried to get through the first level without firing a shot (i.e. I didn't play test it).  I just thought it would be a fun and interesting twist on the game.  I frankly thought there'd be a bit more score variety.  However, since several of us have found the optimal path to hit 10,000 I've been trying to determine the fairest method of awarding season points to these tie scores.  I think it makes sense to award points according to when the score was posted.  Therefore, at this point bubufubu would take 25 for posting first, mbd30 20 for second, etc.  Please let me know if you feel that's in any way unfair or if you have a better idea.

On 9/9/2020 at 2:53 PM, asponge said:

Whew.  That's a lot of Contra.  I'm guessing that took about 2.5 to 3 hours.  You earned that one.  I'll be happy if I can complete the fourth loop.

I do recall looking over at the clock two or three times and thinking a few hours had passed.  I didn't take note of when I started, though.  It was a lot of Contra.  Too much.  I'm glad I got that out of the way early on.

On 9/11/2020 at 10:41 AM, mbd30 said:

At some point the game stops giving extra lives so be careful.

On 9/14/2020 at 11:28 AM, mbd30 said:

It looks like the extra lives stop coming in loop 5. You're on your own from there.

This is not true.  I was still being awarded extra lives past the ninth or tenth loop.  Perhaps it was based on completion of a loop and no longer for points.  I continued to earn extra lives after maxing out the score.

6 minutes ago, bubufubu said:

This is not true.  I was still being awarded extra lives past the ninth or tenth loop.  Perhaps it was based on completion of a loop and no longer for points.  I continued to earn extra lives after maxing out the score.

You definitely no longer get extra lives from points once you're at loop 5. Maybe you keep getting one extra life per completed loop.

Edited by mbd30

9 hours ago, asponge said:

I wasn't sure what to expect with the LSC.  Before posting this I never tried to get through the first level without firing a shot (i.e. I didn't play test it).  I just thought it would be a fun and interesting twist on the game.  I frankly thought there'd be a bit more score variety.  However, since several of us have found the optimal path to hit 10,000 I've been trying to determine the fairest method of awarding season points to these tie scores.  I think it makes sense to award points according to when the score was posted.  Therefore, at this point bubufubu would take 25 for posting first, mbd30 20 for second, etc.  Please let me know if you feel that's in any way unfair or if you have a better idea.

In general I think that tie scores should get the same amount of points because that's only fair.

But there can be special tie breaking conditions depending on the game. Like number of lives left or how early in the game you got your score.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, asponge said:

I wasn't sure what to expect with the LSC.  Before posting this I never tried to get through the first level without firing a shot (i.e. I didn't play test it).  I just thought it would be a fun and interesting twist on the game.

I enjoyed the low score challenge for the first stage.  It was also my first time playing it that way and I did find it both fun & interesting.  I vote to implement more ideas like this for future rounds.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mbd30 said:

You definitely no longer get extra lives from points once you're at loop 5. Maybe you keep getting one extra life per completed loop.

Unless you can definitively prove otherwise, I wouldn't rule out that possibility.  There's a chance that the rate decreases, significantly, until the score is maxed out.

10 hours ago, asponge said:

I frankly thought there'd be a bit more score variety.  However, since several of us have found the optimal path to hit 10,000 I've been trying to determine the fairest method of awarding season points to these tie scores.  I think it makes sense to award points according to when the score was posted.  Therefore, at this point bubufubu would take 25 for posting first, mbd30 20 for second, etc.  Please let me know if you feel that's in any way unfair or if you have a better idea.

Seeing as how there is a time restriction for these competitions, I think this makes sense.  Those people figured it out and/or accomplished the task faster, so that would serve as a fair tie breaker.

Had that horrible thing happen -- y'all know it -- had the Spread Gun, accidentally jumped on a Fire Ball.  It was all over at that point.  ?

Had another obstacle that I didn't expect.  Guess it's just a part of getting older, but I have a hard time (visually) with the Waterfall stage.

Hopefully I can get a bit closer to max score tonight and/or tomorrow.  But figured I'd put this one up now in case life gets in the way and I don't get to play before the cutoff time.

ContraNES2384800.jpg.1ee6f6c12b3b38e6d528b2454bc07d3c.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mbd30 said:

In general I think that tie scores should get the same amount of points because that's only fair.

But there can be special tie breaking conditions depending on the game. Like number of lives left or how early in the game you got your score.

3 hours ago, bubufubu said:

Seeing as how there is a time restriction for these competitions, I think this makes sense.  Those people figured it out and/or accomplished the task faster, so that would serve as a fair tie breaker.

I was thinking about this some more today and I have to agree with mdb30.  The tie scores should all get the same points.  Any sort of tie breaker I come up with at this point is arbitrary and unfair because it wasn't in the rules when we started the round.  There was no way for anyone to optimize their game play for time or lives or whatever.

I had also thought about scrapping the LSC points altogether, but then that's not fair to those who participated vs those who didn't.  So for this round at least 10,000 will get you 25 and it'll scale down from there.

In the future I'll be sure to add some tie breaking criteria to these things from the start.  Chalk this one up to ignorance and a learning experience.

• Like 1

HSC: 41,600 (no pic)

LSC: 12,800 (offed myself at the start of stage 2 for the pic)

27F3B2ED-B80A-4920-92F5-6ECA222E1DDF.thumb.jpeg.1d2d4dcdadc4ecc7c39c12542fb8a741.jpeg

These scores here are amazing. What I’ve realized is that I like Contra best with 30 lives and/or two players. Thanks asponge for including a LSC bonus here- even tho I haven’t tied the lowest, it is fun to play with a different strategy. Breaks up all the violence, haha.