IGNORED

New Jaguar Titles Arrive (Last Strike, reBOOTed, Brawn and Brains) - Pre-Order Today!

Albert

Yeah, I'm curious to see how many people complain about not having an optical drive or CD player to enjoy the Last Strike soundtrack CD. 

Or even better, how many people will actually go out and buy a new optical drive to listen and rip the CD lol.

2 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

I ripped mine to my iTunes (sorry "Apple Music") right away; to sync with my iPod from 2007.  Next the CD is going in my car for play on the road.  Great driving music!   Listened to the whole soundtrack yesterday it rocks. 

Should look good on Jaguar CD VLM!

• Like 2

How is this topic not buzzing with activity now?

Got my shipment (Last Strike, Rebooted, Brawn & Brains, Loopz) in yesterday and I would have dove right in if it wasn't Mother's Day.  Finally played a bunch this morning.  What a terrific time it is to be a Jaguar fan! 

Last Strike

Last Strike is fun.  I got a few scores on the online table, but they probably won't be good enough to stay there for long.  I'm pretty lousy at it - I didn't even get to the end of the first stage or find a shop yet.  I really like the risk/reward tradeoff between rapid fire and rescuing people.  Rapid fire makes it a little easier to blow everything up, but it makes it way easier to kill off the people you need to rescue.  It's smart game design. 

Also, I love how Scramble (essentially) is included. It's a great way to distinguish Last Strike as an homage or upgrade and keep the imevitable detractors from branding it a rip-off. 

Rocketeer 

I wasn't too active here during the early days of the Jaguar's homebrew scene.  I have a burned copy of Rocketeer, but I haven't put much time into it, and I missed any discussion here when it first came out.

Boy, do I regret that now.  It's a great game!  It's super addicting.  At first I thought the controls were too loose, but I got used to them in a minute or too.  And once I did, I didn't want to put the game down.  It would be fun with just the jetpack/enemy blasting combination.  But the rocket assembly and R-E-B-O-O-T collecting give it just the extra gameplay that it needs to be a classic.  I honestly feel like this game alone would be worth a $30-40 standalone purchase.

Downfall

I only put a few minutes into Downfall today because I've played it for an hour or two within the past year, and I already know it's simple and addicting.  I'm glad to finally have an authentic copy, because it's totally worth paying for.  I'm looking forward to discovering any additions that were made to this version.

Dragonkeep

Dragonkeep is fun, but the controls feel a little loose.  This makes jumping over fireballs in the first portion a little frustrating.  The movement speed in the treasure-collecting portion feels pretty fast, and that led to a ton of accidental deaths.  But it's still an enjoyable experience.

Do the Same

I don't think I've played Do the Same before, but it's pretty great.  The puzzles are interesting enough without the time limit, so I don't know that a time limit or lives system is necessary.  I could take a photo of the screen to figure out the quickest route to success, but that would feel like cheating.  I don't know how to improve on the really complicated puzzles though, since the time limit prevents me from studying the puzzles to plan my approach.  I wonder if a limit on the number of moves would have been a better penalty?  I don't want it to sound like I'm whining though, because I had a lot of fun with it and I'm looking forward to playing more.

That's all I've had time to play so far, but I can't wait to play more.  It deserves to be said again: this is a great time to be a Jaguar fan!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, PFG 9000 said:

How is this topic not buzzing with activity now?

Got my shipment (Last Strike, Rebooted, Brawn & Brains, Loopz) in yesterday and I would have dove right in if it wasn't Mother's Day.  Finally played a bunch this morning.  What a terrific time it is to be a Jaguar fan! 

Last Strike

Last Strike is fun.  I got a few scores on the online table, but they probably won't be good enough to stay there for long.  I'm pretty lousy at it - I didn't even get to the end of the first stage or find a shop yet.  I really like the risk/reward tradeoff between rapid fire and rescuing people.  Rapid fire makes it a little easier to blow everything up, but it makes it way easier to kill off the people you need to rescue.  It's smart game design. 

Also, I love how Scramble (essentially) is included. It's a great way to distinguish Last Strike as an homage or upgrade and keep the imevitable detractors from branding it a rip-off. 

Rocketeer 

I wasn't too active here during the early days of the Jaguar's homebrew scene.  I have a burned copy of Rocketeer, but I haven't put much time into it, and I missed any discussion here when it first came out.

Boy, do I regret that now.  It's a great game!  It's super addicting.  At first I thought the controls were too loose, but I got used to them in a minute or too.  And once I did, I didn't want to put the game down.  It would be fun with just the jetpack/enemy blasting combination.  But the rocket assembly and R-E-B-O-O-T collecting give it just the extra gameplay that it needs to be a classic.  I honestly feel like this game alone would be worth a $30-40 standalone purchase.

Downfall

I only put a few minutes into Downfall today because I've played it for an hour or two within the past year, and I already know it's simple and addicting.  I'm glad to finally have an authentic copy, because it's totally worth paying for.  I'm looking forward to discovering any additions that were made to this version.

Dragonkeep

Dragonkeep is fun, but the controls feel a little loose.  This makes jumping over fireballs in the first portion a little frustrating.  The movement speed in the treasure-collecting portion feels pretty fast, and that led to a ton of accidental deaths.  But it's still an enjoyable experience.

Do the Same

I don't think I've played Do the Same before, but it's pretty great.  The puzzles are interesting enough without the time limit, so I don't know that a time limit or lives system is necessary.  I could take a photo of the screen to figure out the quickest route to success, but that would feel like cheating.  I don't know how to improve on the really complicated puzzles though, since the time limit prevents me from studying the puzzles to plan my approach.  I wonder if a limit on the number of moves would have been a better penalty?  I don't want it to sound like I'm whining though, because I had a lot of fun with it and I'm looking forward to playing more.

That's all I've had time to play so far, but I can't wait to play more.  It deserves to be said again: this is a great time to be a Jaguar fan!

I might be a bit biased, but I love Rocketeer too...;-)

• Like 1

I have a hypothesis that people are reluctant to discuss individual games on this megathread. Would anybody mind if we started new threads for individual releases?

EDIT: hearing no objections...

Was I the only one whose fallible memory convinced they ordered several games they didn’t? ?

I’ll get you next time, Xenon 2 and Brains & Brawn...

Got my big box of games this week, but I haven't really done anything other  than  take inventory. All the boxes and instructions once again are just like the old days, great quality. Breakout 2000 is taking my Jaguar playing time currently though, so no opinions of the new games.

Edit: 

AtariAge1.thumb.JPG.0d30e5c7d32c5d459fca75be34b08c14.JPG

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

Got my big box of games this week, but I haven't really done anything other  than  take inventory. All the boxes and instructions once again are just like the old days, great quality. Breakout 2000 is taking my Jaguar playing time currently though, so no opinions of the new games.

Edit: 

AtariAge1.thumb.JPG.0d30e5c7d32c5d459fca75be34b08c14.JPG

Is Breakout 2000 really that good?

• Like 1

I sat down with Beebris on the Rebooted collection last night.  I think Tetris is one of the greatest games ever made, so having it on one of my favorite consoles is a match made in Heaven.  I'm surprised how much I like the Arcade+ mode - usually I don't like to have a good thing messed with.  But the new features work together really well and the resulting game is still addicting.  

The controls are adequate, but sometimes not responsive.  At times I push the button to rotate a tetronimo, and nothing happens.  Other times, I press the button and the piece gets rotated twice.  It's not frequent enough to ruin the game, but it does lead to some frustrating moments.

The music though...it's fantastic.  I don't usually remember a tune after the first time I hear it, but this one popped into my head randomly today, some 18 hours after I played the game, and got stuck there on endless repeat.  I've really fallen in love with that tune.  It takes me back to the early days of the Jaguar, and the only reason I can think of is that the sound is similar to some of the Checkered Flag tunes (probably the only feature of that game that doesn't get ripped apart).

• Like 2

On 5/7/2021 at 3:43 PM, matthew954 said:

Or even better, how many people will actually go out and buy a new optical drive to listen and rip the CD lol.

Nah they can just send me the soundtrack and I'll "preserve" it for them