IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 13 - Game 9 - Star Strike

1 hour ago, gar0u said:

Yup.  The night we bought our first Intellivision (the big original one with wood grain), we also got our first game aside from the pack-in Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack--and that game was Star Strike!

Still have my original, but playing it on the Flashback because it's easier and quicker to set up and the picture is better.

Pretty much default to the Flashback unless it's a licensed game like Tron.  Then I play those on my Intellivision II if I have the cart.

Only play stuff in the jzintv emulator if I don't have any other option.  I'm really excited for the LTO Flash to come back.  Or I may have to build a Raspberry Pi machine using jzintv--but I don't know what to do about the controllers.  I'd like to play with the original controllers if possible.  I guess I could map them, right?  Winter vacation project maybe.  :)

You can plug your flashback controllers into any computer with usb adapters.

http://www.2600-daptor.com/

https://www.retronicdesign.com/en/

The word on ltoflash is before the end of the year.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mr_me said:

You can plug your flashback controllers into any computer with usb adapters.

http://www.2600-daptor.com/

https://www.retronicdesign.com/en/

The word on ltoflash is before the end of the year.

Have a Vision-daptor myself.  Delightfully fuss-free bit of hardware, delighted with it!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

Would it not have been possible, even back in the day, to display the ship's systems and indicate which ones were down? And why is there no way to repair systems? 

That would be exactly like Space Spartans then. I think they were going for something different with this one, but they didn’t focus enough on the gameplay.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

That would be exactly like Space Spartans then. I think they were going for something different with this one, but they didn’t focus enough on the gameplay.

Not really. Spartans has a whole extra layer of semi real time RTS. Like Space Battle does, although, arguably, Space Battle maybe did that part better.

No I'm just saying those traits of Star Strike are really what dissatisfies me most.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

Not really. Spartans has a whole extra layer of semi real time RTS. Like Space Battle does, although, arguably, Space Battle maybe did that part better.

No I'm just saying those traits of Star Strike are really what dissatisfies me most.

Fair enough. I think we would I agree the game is definitely lacking some extra layers to make the game better.

• Like 1

From Jacob, season standings after Tron.  Still 9 games to go (not including bonus games):

Rankings

1. INTELLIVISION SPARTAN [+116]

2. Rickster8 [+107]

3. IntyFanMatt [+105]

4. BiffMan [+87]

5. JacobZu7zu7 [+70]

6. Ace24 [+52]

7. mr_me [+45]

8. fakecortex [+32]

9. Player One [+32]

10. hoosierdadee78 [+28]

11. Intelligentleman [+22]

13. gar0u [+20]

11. JasonlikesINTV [+19]

14. roadrunner [+14]

15. ed1475 [+11]

16. jblenkle [+8]

16. Jimmy KDawg [+7]

18. Oscar G. [+6]

19. Mangia-boy [+5]

20. S.BAZ [+4]

21. dpisacane [+3]

22. cmadruga [+1]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

I guess it’s my turn to comment on Star Strike: 

Too simplistic compared to the rest of the collection. it should have been part of a triple Space action cart with two other simple Space games. 

the ships always looked more like balloons on strings Or kites. The pink dash Under the ship is like the handle on a kite and your ship is a 2-D kite that never moves. The enemy ships appear like balloons in the Macy’s parade.... 

it should be Kite strike. 

then the shooter..... Little pink squares?  if your ship is that wimpy ... maybe send a better equipped ship to save planet earth .... no? 

apart from that, great game! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

I guess it’s my turn to comment on Star Strike: 

Too simplistic compared to the rest of the collection. it should have been part of a triple Space action cart with two other simple Space games. 

the ships always looked more like balloons on strings Or kites. The pink dash Under the ship is like the handle on a kite and your ship is a 2-D kite that never moves. The enemy ships appear like balloons in the Macy’s parade.... 

it should be Kite strike. 

then the shooter..... Little pink squares?  if your ship is that wimpy ... maybe send a better equipped ship to save planet earth .... no? 

apart from that, great game! 

Its 1981... it aint that heinous ! Just kinda plain average, didn't age as well as like Shark Shark, or Space Battle. :o

What Strike could use though, is like a force field like Zaxxon, to weave around or above, under etc... and on the top 2 skills, an alien to shoot at the end of the trench to save Earth from the despair. :D

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JacobZu7zu7 said:

Its 1981... it aint that heinous ! Just kinda plain average, didn't age as well as like Shark Shark, or Space Battle. :o

What Strike could use though, is like a force field like Zaxxon, to weave around or above, under etc... and on the top 2 skills, an alien to shoot at the end of the trench to save Earth from the despair. :D

Ok I was extra critical ... it was an ok game. Just a little too simple.  There’s worse games in the collection! Nice clear graphics. 

• Like 2

On 9/10/2020 at 11:00 PM, mr_me said:

I like the gameplay in star strike but I don't like flying a damaged ship.  The one change I'd make is have the ship repair itself after a few seconds.  Tricking the enemy ships to shoot each other can be part of the strategy.  You can shoot them from most areas of the screen but your fire is always going to the centre so they have to be in that line.

Exactly this. I want to know what is damaged (visually by looking at the ship itself, which I don't think is possible given limitations, and/or give us a possibility to repair the ship like mr_me suggested. Either via time delay or a simple power up for us to grab... Like Beam Rider. 

• Like 2