IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 13 - Game 9 - Star Strike

2 minutes ago, Player One said:

I wouldn't bother. Mine died too. I'm guessing these weren't built to last like the original hardware. 

Well if you enjoy playing Intellivision games, you would have to get something right? Could just go get an original one on eBay but then you have to buy a whole bunch of carts for it. The LTO flash is still not available, so that would be an expensive option versus just buying another flashback.

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, IntyFanMatt said:

That’s a great score in the bonus game!  You should be able to kick butt in the regular disc level then!

Thanks man! I played those games back to back, but that was after many rage-resets on the disc game. I almost went back and tried another round of disc after comparing bonus scores in this thread...

12 minutes ago, Player One said:

I wouldn't bother. Mine died too. I'm guessing these weren't built to last like the original hardware. 

Yeah I've had 3 (THREE) Flashbacks die in 2 years. I upgraded all three to become Ultimate Flashbacks. I agree, do not buy another InTV Flashback unless you intend to upgrade it. They are HORRIBLY made.....

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

Thanks man! I played those games back to back, but that was after many rage-resets on the disc game. I almost went back and tried another round of disc after comparing bonus scores in this thread...

The bonus game is way harder than disc level though. You did press button number 4 for the bonus game right?

3 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

The bonus game is way harder than disc level though. You did press button number 4 for the bonus game right?

Yeah, or in other words, the spot on the overlay that has the five stars, right? The game where you can't miss a single target or it's game over? Is that the one?

EDIT: If so, I like that version because the way I play the disc game is that I rage-reset if I miss a single target, even though that's not a requisite to "finish" the game. I just find it incredible dissatisfying to miss a target.

Edited by Intelligentleman

Just now, Intelligentleman said:

Yeah, or in other words, the spot on the overlay that has the five stars, right? The game where you can't miss a single target or it's game over? Is that the one?

Yes sir that is the one. Just making sure since normally your disc level score should be a lot higher than your bonus level score.

Just now, IntyFanMatt said:

Yes sir that is the one. Just making sure since normally your disc level score should be a lot higher than your bonus level score.

Ok, yeah, i think it's weird too. And like I said, i didn't miss a single target on my disc run that i submitted, but my score is just meh (comparatively speaking). But, I also fail to shoot down MOST attacking ships. In both game variations.

• Like 1

I'm having second thoughts about my appraisal of this game. It's one of the few games of this time that has an objective other than SCORE ALL THE POINTS AND PLAY FOREVER. There are two outcomes. You're either going to save the Earth or not save the Earth. If you don't save the Earth, you get 0 points. If you do save it, however, you get whatever points you've managed to hang onto along the way. That elevates the experience from a zero sum, binary outcome (did you win or lose) to a more nuanced conclusion. It's not just did you win. It's how WELL did you win. 

All the criticisms lobbied in this thread are fair and agreeable. But, in a game that's only going to last, at most, 5 minutes... how much depth does it need? What I think it needs, more than anything, is some better world-building in the instruction manual. Why is this ship so weak? Why is there no way to repair damage? Desperation. That is why. This is a last-ditch hail Mary pass from a mortally wounded force. Don't like that your ship can't fly or shoot anymore? It doesn't matter, it will all be over soon. Better luck next time.

Edited by Intelligentleman
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, mr_me said:

I was thinking you could score more points by extending the game; i.e. not bombing all the targets right away.  If you gain more point shooting enemy ships than you lose on the clock that would be the case.

Tried this strategy tonight and just focused on shooting the ships instead of bombing the silos, and it doesn’t seem to work. They extend the gaps between the ships showing up and your score drastically reduces no matter no what. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Tried this strategy tonight and just focused on shooting the ships instead of bombing the silos, and it doesn’t seem to work. They extend the gaps between the ships showing up and your score drastically reduces no matter no what. 

Yes I tried that yesterday. It only reduces the score.... but I wanted to hear from someone else to confirm! 

Heading into FINAL weekend for Star Strike, here is a...

Score Update:

1. 8,334 INTELLIVISION SPARTAN

2. 8,210 Rickster8

3. 8,100 IntyFanMatt

4. 8,084 JacobZu7zu7

5. 7,804 mr_me

6. 7,342 fakecortex

7. 7,228 Ace24

8. 6,658 Intelligentleman

9. 6,084 hoosierdadee78

-

(Bonus High Scores)