IGNORED

Anyone else sell all their Jag stuff and...

Crazy Climber

Yo...

Anybody else here sell all their Jag  stuff because they needed money thinking "oh I'll just buy it back someday" then you see all these freaking sweeeeeeeeet homebrew games being made for it and your like "Oh wow, okay, time to get a Jaguar system again" so you look on Ebay and an untested system costs you like a testicle and you're like "damn, I mean, I could maybe afford it right now but damn, seriously???"

...so you procrastinate for a few months and then they cost like even MORE which you didn't think was even possible but then like ever MORE freaking sweet homebrew games get released and you don't even have god damn llamatron yet so you're like "WTF?? MAN???"

So now you seriously consider buying a horribly overpriced system that you can't really afford and could easily red screen on you in a week just to play Robotron with llamas (worth it...?) but you really don't see any other option and figure you would ask the crew if maybe something is happening behind the scenes that you are completely oblivious to because you have been offline for a few years living in a cave...you know like maybe Parrotface Mike is using those molds he bought to make some aftermarket systems or something (that dude still around?)

Or maybe they are making a retron Jaguar system that probably wouldn't play homebrews anyways so I would just get my hopes up for nothing and by that time Jag systems will probably be so sought after I will have to buy a timeshare Jag or own a few shares in an openly traded jag system or something...

Then an idea strikes...maybe just buy the games? I mean, who has time to play games anyways, they would look great on the shelf and I can just flip through a manual now and then or look at the box art?

No, thats frakking stupid...then the anger sets in...

You hate to make it political but its a known FACT the billionaire 1%'ers are hooking up 16-32 jags to play BSG while the rest of us are fighting just for one. Rumor has it Bill Gates himself has a Jag in every room of his mansion, even the bathroom! Yup, he is playing half assed unfinished games of Protector SE while he dumps and the rest of us are here suffering with no jags at all....

I don't know, this  happen to anyone else here? Just curious....

• Like 2
  • Haha 19

I did sell my jaguar and jag cd about two years ago after realizing I hadn't actually played it at all for over a year.

I guess absence makes the heart grow fonder, even though I don't absolutely love the jag's games, I have a soft spot for the system - how it looks, its potential power, its time in gaming history. In any case, I've been pricing jaguar systems again and yeah, they are no joke. I thought prices were high two years ago when I sold, but things have gotten out of hand, like broken Jag CDs selling for $600.  I'm not sure if I'm ever going to be able to justify owning a jaguar again, unless the retro game market crashes and the prices are greatly reduced years from now.

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Like 1

I sold all my stuff including Jag CD about 10 years ago, including a couple of NIB consoles. I thought that I would be able to buy stuff at a similar price when I could afford to get back into the hobby. No chance, stuff is 10x more expensive so I'll never be owning a Jag again 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Crazy Climber, you really ARE a funny guy!

Lol, I hear you man. I sold off everything Jaguar related years ago and when I came back I was like "this is never going to happen". But, it did, again. I paid $400 for a Jaguar, but it came with a genuine pro controller which I sold back off for $200 when I got the machine, and it came with six games which got me started. That was around 6 or so months ago. Since then I have nearly every original release game (games that Atari released during the console run) and a bunch of homebrew titles....including the llamas ;)

I am far (so far) from rich, but I've just been buying and selling as usual. But a lot of games at a good price, keep what I want, sell what I don't....buy Jaguar games. I have settled for loose carts whenever available as I could care less about boxes. It takes time. First step is to get a good working Jag for a fair price. I would think fair (now) would be $200-$225. The Goat Store had three console sets a few weeks ago for $225 a set, but I just checked and they are gone :(

That said, I will keep an eye out for you!

• Like 1

I'm lucky enough to have a Jag since early 2019 and love it to bits, so while in theory I shoudn't be worried anymore, I am actually.

I'm scared with the thought this thing will kiss goodbye someday, so I really, reeeeally want a backup unit, which I can't afford now and for the next 1 year.

I'm scared enough to check ebay prices today, let alone in 1 year, this thing will cost 10k by then. 

Analogue once said they have intentions to build FPGA versions of every retro console out there, so maybe the Jag will be cloned at some point (but if that ever happens, it's way waaaay down in their priority list, 5 years into the future at least).

So yeah, winning the lottery it is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

now prices are ridiculous

Yeah, but... Jaguar is ridiculously fun!

I don't have a Jaguar in my bathroom yet, but I have a few now, all bought this year, and I haven't paid over the original retail price of $250 for any of them.  Yes, I bought them all in working order with at least one controller and all the cables, and yes, I have multiple pack-in copies of Cybermorph too at this point.  OK, yeah, even considering inflation, that's kind of a ridiculous metric for a 27 year old consumer electronics item, but I don't care.  The games are fun, working on Jaguar-related projects is fun, and I use it way more than I use the still-more-expensive PS4 I got for my wife.

However, I also have a Jaguar CD to pair with each of my consoles.  Those prices I cannot justify nor recommend, even considering I bought them broken and repaired them.  Still, I do personally enjoy the CD units as well and don't regret buying them.  Let's all hope that gamedrive CD support happens.

• Like 4

With a few exceptions (Jag CD, BSG,etc) if you adjust for inflation, Jag stuff still is largely less than or equal to original retail prices. A lot of us got spoiled by almost 15 years of ridiculously low prices on unsold stock. 

That being said, I've been tempted to sell off my working Jag CD unit because I could get a lot more gaming mileage out the money. The only thing stopping me is knowing that I'd never get another if I did, and that I would eventually want it back. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

Yo...

Anybody else here sell all their Jag  stuff because they needed money thinking "oh I'll just buy it back someday" then you see all these freaking sweeeeeeeeet homebrew games being made for it and your like "Oh wow, okay, time to get a Jaguar system again" so you look on Ebay and an untested system costs you like a testicle and you're like "damn, I mean, I could maybe afford it right now but damn, seriously???"

...so you procrastinate for a few months and then they cost like even MORE which you didn't think was even possible but then like ever MORE freaking sweet homebrew games get released and you don't even have god damn llamatron yet so you're like "WTF?? MAN???"

So now you seriously consider buying a horribly overpriced system that you can't really afford and could easily red screen on you in a week just to play Robotron with llamas (worth it...?) but you really don't see any other option and figure you would ask the crew if maybe something is happening behind the scenes that you are completely oblivious to because you have been offline for a few years living in a cave...you know like maybe Parrotface Mike is using those molds he bought to make some aftermarket systems or something (that dude still around?)

Or maybe they are making a retron Jaguar system that probably wouldn't play homebrews anyways so I would just get my hopes up for nothing and by that time Jag systems will probably be so sought after I will have to buy a timeshare Jag or own a few shares in an openly traded jag system or something...

Then an idea strikes...maybe just buy the games? I mean, who has time to play games anyways, they would look great on the shelf and I can just flip through a manual now and then or look at the box art?

No, thats frakking stupid...then the anger sets in...

You hate to make it political but its a known FACT the billionaire 1%'ers are hooking up 16-32 jags to play BSG while the rest of us are fighting just for one. Rumor has it Bill Gates himself has a Jag in every room of his mansion, even the bathroom! Yup, he is playing half assed unfinished games of Protector SE while he dumps and the rest of us are here suffering with no jags at all....

I don't know, this  happen to anyone else here? Just curious....

look no further than me bruh
Every day for 11 months 2019- August 2020 , mental stress disorders and nervous wreck deciding whether to get one. i came up with probabilities based on my knowledge of myself on what games i would consider 'worth the time.' Still wasn't getting one because of high prices but a dude showed up with a sweet deal on one which included Aliens v predator and Cybermorph- i said "it's now or never." and that's how i got an Atari Jaguar. 

the process i use for buying game though is controversial to the jaguar veterans but its my system and i devised it based on previous experience with buying sega genesis games i got just to collect or never cared much for after a few plays.

Homebrews are great! some are really fun although i wish to see more Skyhammer- Elansar esque games on the homebrew circuit than something that looks 16 bit. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, marcio_napoli said:

I'm lucky enough to have a Jag since early 2019 and love it to bits, so while in theory I shoudn't be worried anymore, I am actually.

I'm scared with the thought this thing will kiss goodbye someday, so I really, reeeeally want a backup unit, which I can't afford now and for the next 1 year.

I'm scared enough to check ebay prices today, let alone in 1 year, this thing will cost 10k by then. 

Analogue once said they have intentions to build FPGA versions of every retro console out there, so maybe the Jag will be cloned at some point (but if that ever happens, it's way waaaay down in their priority list, 5 years into the future at least).

So yeah, winning the lottery it is.

Let me traumatize you.

Atari Karts in brand new sealed was sold for $494.00 some months ago.
Attack of the Mutant penguins, $140 dollars, used but includes everything and the plastic bag the cartridge came in. 

I cried when i saw someone bought Atari Karts- its literally my elusive dragon, the pot of gold at the end of the Atari rainbow, the lost city of atlantis. so glad no one has it for sale at the moment because i spent all my reserve money that i set aside for random stuff on my jaguar and a few games- i have no money left in the "random stuff to buy" fund., 

Edited by Jaguar 2000
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jaguar 2000 said:

Let me traumatize you.

Atari Karts in brand new sealed was sold for $494.00 some months ago.
Attack of the Mutant penguins, $140 dollars, used but includes everything and the plastic bag the cartridge came in. 

I cried when i saw someone bought Atari Karts- its literally my elusive dragon, the pot of gold at the end of the Atari rainbow, the lost city of atlantis. so glad no one has it for sale at the moment because i spent all my reserve money that i set aside for random stuff on my jaguar and a few games- i have no money left in the "random stuff to buy" fund., 

I was astonished when I found and purchased Attack of the Mutant Penguins, complete and like new, for $50 on Ebay this past February. I also saw Atari Karts sell complete for $175 (unfortunately I didn't have the extra money at the time).

Don't give up hope. The Jag games do come available for a great price on rare occasions, but I'm pretty sure it's Random and perhaps a bit of luck coming across them. I was also fortunate to find the original release of Iron Soldier II on CD for a great price from the same seller. 

Screenshot_20200908-173822_eBay.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RREDDWARFF said:

I was astonished when I found and purchased Attack of the Mutant Penguins, complete and like new, for $50 on Ebay this past February. I also saw Atari Karts sell complete for $175 (unfortunately I didn't have the extra money at the time).

Don't give up hope. The Jag games do come available for a great price on rare occasions, but I'm pretty sure it's Random and perhaps a bit of luck coming across them. I was also fortunate to find the original release of Iron Soldier II on CD for a great price from the same seller. 

Now Im traumatized.  
$50 for Mutant Penguins?

I had made a bid on one last month- the seller open bid at 20.00. for 3 days out of 7 days it was up- i was in the lead- then boom! guys started hitting ranges of $80-130. I bowed out and ended up buying Hover Strike and Checkered flag instead- brand new.  u got to have those 2 in any Jaguar game collection. 

Edited by Jaguar 2000
  • Like 1

Songbird Productions is coming out with Battlemorph on Cartridge sometime in 2021! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jaguar 2000 said:

NOW I AM TRAUMATIZED! 
$50 for Mutant Penguins?

I had made a bid on one last month- the seller open bid at 20.00. for 3 days out of 7 days it was up- i was in the lead- then boom! guys started hitting ranges of 80-100 dollars. I bowed out and ended up buying Hover Strike and Checkered flag instead- brand new.  u got to have those 2 in any Jaguar game collection. 

I had Checkered Flag, but man that game is terrible. At least for me. I couldn't justify keeping it so I resold it. Hoverstrike on the other hand, I do have. Even though I enjoy playing it (at times), Hoverstrike is by far the most anger inducing game on the Jaguar. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jaguar 2000 said:

Songbird Productions is coming out with Battlemorph on Cartridge sometime in 2021! 

This is excellent news. Although I'm pretty sure I'm alone in this, I would absolutely love to see Baldies for the Jag CD released on cartridge as well. Blue Lightening would be great too.

• Like 3

This is excellent news. Although I'm pretty sure I'm alone in this, I would absolutely love to see Baldies for the Jag CD released on cartridge as well. Blue Lightening would be great too.

Blue Lightening for sure!

A shame the Jaguar didn't get Mortal Kombat 3- Ultimate- the 16 bit ports did a good enough job but it was nowhere near detailed as the arcade version- the jaguar i think could have handled it.  

• Like 3

I had Checkered Flag, but man that game is terrible. At least for me. I couldn't justify keeping it so I resold it. Hoverstrike on the other hand, I do have. Even though I enjoy playing it (at times), Hoverstrike is by far the most anger inducing game on the Jaguar. 

it does have a learning curve. i posted about it 2 weeks ago. some of the guys ,like you, who own it were cool enough to chime in and give their thoughts. its a decent game and shows off the jaguar's ability. 

Ruiner Pinball is another one i have on my list to get at some point. I normally dont like any games like that but it looks way too interesting to pass up. 

Edited by Jaguar 2000
  • Like 1

Love my Jags.  I never sold the ones I have but I do regret the ones I didn't buy.  I should have bought a nib Jag and CD years ago when they were cheap.  I started collecting for it about 15 years ago and have been slowly building my collection since.  It's been a fun ride.

Battlemorph on cart is something I'd drool all over, REALLY hope Carl finds time to deliver this.  It's one of the very single reasons to own a Jag CD!  

Please Carl, here's our money!

Also I'm alone on this, maybe there're two of us, but I really love Checkered flag!   

Reason is I really don't care for playing racing games for the, hum... race.  I love to watch the graphics and just drive around with no pressure to finish in first (maybe Club Drive sounds like a good fit??) 

Despite the framerate (which I also don't mind), CF actually has awesome graphics and if you're not actually racing, it's good simple arcade fun. 

Now, where's that Battlemorph on cart again? :D

• Like 2

Super Burnout, Power Drive Rally, World Tour Racing. Those are the good racing games from the original retail run. Now we have some additional good racing games by way of ST ports. Checkered Flag... I had it when it was current and it was crap then as it is crap now. I mean... I bought it from the store with my own money (as I did all of my Jag purchases) so I really really really tried. I put plenty of time into it. I just never enjoyed any of that time. Luckily I had purchased Super Burnout before CF so when I was done being frustrated with CF I could slap Super Burnout in and have fun again.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, marcio_napoli said:

I'm scared with the thought this thing will kiss goodbye someday

That is my concern with dropping $300+ right now. I personally owned two that red screened and I was a VERY casual player...

14 hours ago, cubanismo said:

I don't have a Jaguar in my bathroom yet, but I have a few now, all bought this year, and I haven't paid over the original retail price of $250 for any of them.  Yes, I bought them all in working order with at least one controller and all the cables, and yes, I have multiple pack-in copies of Cybermorph too at this point.

Yeah, just a few months ago you could...now you can't lol...

13 hours ago, Blazing Lazers said:

With a few exceptions (Jag CD, BSG,etc) if you adjust for inflation, Jag stuff still is largely less than or equal to original retail prices. A lot of us got spoiled by almost 15 years of ridiculously low prices on unsold stock.

Yeah, I would maybe buy a NIB one for the inflation adjusted retail, but not a crusty untested one :)

12 hours ago, Jaguar 2000 said:

look no further than me bruh

Thanks bruh ;)

9 hours ago, joeatari1 said:

I should have bought a nib Jag and CD years ago when they were cheap.

Every year Songbird would bring NIB ones to a Classic video game show I attend and sell them for $100 (Carl lives here in MN too) then one time he didn't, they were gone...