IGNORED

Anyone else sell all their Jag stuff and...

Crazy Climber

7 hours ago, Jaguar 2000 said:

I love checkered flag too! for the exact reason you do as well. I am well aware of its limitations but that is what i find makes it fun to play- u get to go speeding and cruising around the tracks and once you get the nature of steering the car, its easy to out run and keep ahead of the other racer drone cars. Its the first ever racing game i played where i placed first on the first time i played it. 

Racing games with realistic physics and damage to the car with a tough A.I. that acts like a real person and learns your moves and adapts is all well and good but those type of racers are harder to win at. You constantly have to bring your best game and best precision in playing it to place first or in the top 3. SOmetimes, a guy just wants to race with ease and no serious concentration.  kinda like how i drive :)

hey Jaguar 2000, not only I completely agree with your view about CF, but just wanted to say I appreciate your lighthearted tone regarding the Jag. I've been reading many of your posts, and you're always very delightful about your Jag and games, always super positive.

Kinda how I feel as well, pretty much the same :D  I love it for what it is, I even love the often sub 10 fps framerate on many games, I really do  lol :D :D   To put in very quick terms, I love everything in life (videogames and really any other stuff and subjects) which puts itself in a maximum effort position.

I absolutely adore how that little 1993, 250 bucks machine, was trying its best to deliver us cutting edge tech (3d, millions of colors, powerful 2d, etc) even with the lowest bidders devs Atari brought onboard.   

Even those 10 fps games, when you look at it from the correct POV, is a maximum effort situation.

Sorry if I went into bla bla bla mode again haha, just wanted to say I love your attitude towards the Jag :D

• Like 2

Still regret not buying a loose CD drive from Best Electronics in the late 1990s because 150$ felt too expensive...

But I seriously consider selling my ST/TT stuff as I never use it and my kids find it less interesting than the 8-bits (being much closer to their everyday Windows/MacOS) and consoles. 

• Like 1

This is how I feel about the Vectrex now days. I saw that new UV thing and was like damn, I gotta get me another Vectrex. The prices are now double what they were a few years ago. I purchased a NOS controller, UV overlays, a UV emitter thingy, a Multicart, some Binary star games, and almost a Vectrex console. I just can’t pull the trigger on one. I almost purchased one for a ton of money, anyway I get what your saying.

I’ve never owned a Jaguar, but I really like the new homebrews that are coming out. I also like spinner controllers. The jag has a lot of nice homebrew spinner controllers.

If my wages had doubled over the past 3-4 years then I would feel differently I think.

• Like 1

I bought a Jaguar back in the day when the stores were selling them off for buttons. Back then there were only a handful of games really worth playing and after a while you move on, so I sold up. When I got on the retro kick I purely wanted a Jaguar to play Tempest 2000 again.

Now already prices had started to get a bit silly, though not quite the insanity they are now. Thankfully i have a friend who'd done what I had back in the day but never sold up. Also he went a bit to town and just bought out the shop's stock of consoles and CD drives. I'm embarrased to say what he sold me essentially a NOS jaguar for... Let's just say he as good as gave it to me, even knowing full well what they were selling for, for which I am ludicrously greatful. I picked up a copy of Tempest 2000 as a loose cart for £15, and I was a happy chappy.

The thing is it just isn't worth what they sell for now to play a handful of good games. However the homebrew scene and Saint's cart do start to justify that expense.

• Like 1

Had it not been for the fact that in 2015 I still had a Jaguar and about ten games from back in the 90s in my mums attic I probably would not have got back into the Jaguar and might have looked at collecting for one of the other consoles on that attic - Atari 2600, Intellivision, Colecovisiion etc, but the machine was still there and more importantly Tempest 2000 was still there. Since then I've picked up all the sealed games for it for cheap when they were all available years ago for in some cases a fifth of the price they now seem to cost and also a boxed (hardly used) Jag CD for £295 off ebay that came on as a buy it now about two years ago and that had all the packaging and games inside the box that even back then was a really good price... I do find it crazy that the sealed games collection I have built up over the last three years is now on the whole worth three times what I paid for it (except of course for chequered flag!), but then again many other consoles have seen big price rises too... I think the lesser selling consoles of their days are always going to more in demand for collectors than the N64s that are always available and that sold in such huge numbers that they will never be hard to find. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, marcio_napoli said:

hey Jaguar 2000, not only I completely agree with your view about CF, but just wanted to say I appreciate your lighthearted tone regarding the Jag. I've been reading many of your posts, and you're always very delightful about your Jag and games, always super positive.

Kinda how I feel as well, pretty much the same :D  I love it for what it is, I even love the often sub 10 fps framerate on many games, I really do  lol :D :D   To put in very quick terms, I love everything in life (videogames and really any other stuff and subjects) which puts itself in a maximum effort position.

I absolutely adore how that little 1993, 250 bucks machine, was trying its best to deliver us cutting edge tech (3d, millions of colors, powerful 2d, etc) even with the lowest bidders devs Atari brought onboard.   

Even those 10 fps games, when you look at it from the correct POV, is a maximum effort situation.

Sorry if I went into bla bla bla mode again haha, just wanted to say I love your attitude towards the Jag :D

Hey marcio_napoli, thanks for your kind words. 
Yeah man i'm really excited about my Jaguar. I like the Jaguar is because the games i think are worthy to be played or tried out offer something different than what was widely available elsewhere at the time. The looked different and had a totally different feel to it than other games plus the whole push into 3D was crazy fun. It even made games that weren't in 3D still appealing- like i never bothered with a Pinball game until i saw Ruiner Pinball. :)

Feel free to talk about your thoughts about the Jaguar any time to me, I'm always interested. :)

My opinion, as a current/avid Jag buyer (lately, mostly on ebay):

I think Jag stuff (and video game stuff in general) is starting to see a LITTLE bit of decreased demand versus where it was 5 months ago.  A lot of it is pandemic related.  When you're on lockdown, you suddenly want to revive that retro video game collection you sold 15 years ago because, well, what else are you gonna do?

My local retro game store owner agrees.  I tried to buy a PS3 controller from him the other day...can you believe they were sold out?  He's had a tub full of them for years!!

The "popular" retro consoles seem to be mostly affected, but so is the Jaguar to some degree.  I think once we start to get past the pandemic - vaccine, election, whatever - demand will inevitably shift from physically isolated activities (like gaming) to ...everything else...

On 9/9/2020 at 12:02 AM, marcio_napoli said:

Also I'm alone on this, maybe there're two of us, but I really love Checkered flag!   

Reason is I really don't care for playing racing games for the, hum... race.  I love to watch the graphics and just drive around with no pressure to finish in first (maybe Club Drive sounds like a good fit??) 

Despite the framerate (which I also don't mind), CF actually has awesome graphics and if you're not actually racing, it's good simple arcade fun. 

Checkered Flag was one of the earliest games I had for the Jag back in the day.  I had plenty of fun with it and even took first place in Championship Mode at least once.  Yeah, the controls are broken, and because it's a racing game with broken controls, I can't in honesty call it a good game.  But the controls can be mastered, and there are plenty of other redeeming qualities like a pretty good soundtrack and some decent graphics.

I'm really looking forward to getting a Jag GameDrive so that I can enjoy Checkered Flag with the fixed controls patch.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PFG 9000 said:

I'm really looking forward to getting a Jag GameDrive so that I can enjoy Checkered Flag with the fixed controls patch.

Wha......?  There is a version out there with fixed controls?!?!?!  How does one procure a copy of said fixed game?

On 9/8/2020 at 7:38 AM, Crazy Climber said:

[words]

I love my Jag.  I bought it in 1994 and have been a fan(boy) ever since.  I have a complete cartridge and CD library and still play my Jag maybe ten times a year.

That said, I don't know that it would be worth it to you to buy another Jaguar.  If the commercial library didn't hook you, none of the post-commercial releases are likely to either.  There's some really good stuff on the Jaguar, and it gets a completely unfair rap among the general gaming public, most of whom have never even played it.  But it's just so expensive now that I can't really recommend it to somebody who had one and didn't like it enough to hang onto the first time around.

...Unless of course you buy a Jaguar and a Jag Game Drive, and forego buying any software that's available on ROM.  Then it might be financially worth what you put into it.  But that's for you to decide, not me.

6 hours ago, Machine said:

I recently needed some money to get my girlfriend out of jail so I pawned all my video game stuff including my Jaguar, Jag CD, and games.  Now that my girlfriend is out, my wife wouldn't let me rebuy any of my stuff back. Never pawn video game stuff.

playa! :D wife and girlfriend.

kinda sucks that u had to sell your Jaguar bundles- but if she's worth it , it's understandable.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

playa! [emoji3] wife and girlfriend.

kinda sucks that u had to sell your Jaguar bundles- but if she's worth it , it's understandable.. 

A guy I do a lot of work for says you need to have both so your life doesn’t get boring. I think having both would make your life crazy, but to each his own.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

one also has to have a decent amount of money to spend on them. [emoji4]

This reminds me of the time I was a waiter at a steak house called claim jumper in St. George Utah back in 2003-2005. This rich mid 40s bigger steroided out looking guy used to frequent Claim jumper for lunch. I found out he was one of the guys who owned Ence homes construction, which has been a large home builder in St. George for many years. He really liked one of the girls who worked there named Cassie. She was a mid 20s good looking dark haired hostess vixen. One night I found her upset and crying in the back of the restaurant. She told me that the Ence homes guy was a pig and she said he hadn’t told his wife about their relationship. A few days later I noticed that she was driving a new BMW convertible of some kind. After that she seemed ok with him again.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, adamchevy said:

This reminds me of the time I was a waiter at a steak house called claim jumper in St. George Utah back in 2003-2005. This rich mid 40s bigger steroided out looking guy used to frequent Claim jumper for lunch. I found out he was one of the guys who owned Ence homes construction, which has been a large home builder in St. George for many years. He really liked one of the girls who worked there named Cassie. She was a mid 20s good looking dark haired hostess vixen. One night I found her upset and crying in the back of the restaurant. She told me that the Ence homes guy was a pig and she said he hadn’t told his wife about their relationship. A few days later I noticed that she was driving a new BMW convertible of some kind. After that she seemed ok with him again.

see what i mean. some would have even threatened to spill the beans to the wife too.  

Edited by Jaguar 2000
  • Like 1

On 9/8/2020 at 7:35 PM, RREDDWARFF said:

I had Checkered Flag, but man that game is terrible. At least for me. I couldn't justify keeping it so I resold it. Hoverstrike on the other hand, I do have. Even though I enjoy playing it (at times), Hoverstrike is by far the most anger inducing game on the Jaguar. 

I enjoyed the hell out of Hoverstrike. I thought it was really fun and very well done. I have the CD version though.

On 9/15/2020 at 11:30 AM, Chris Brockman said:

I sold off the bulk of my collection however, I saved my Jaguar, all the cables, a Jag CD, Pro Controller and a few games like Primal Rage and Worms etc.

I think if I had to do that I would do the same thing. I sold so many Jaguars (and Jag CD units) over the course of the past few decades and now I am still luckily graced with one good working Jag console. I just can't part with it for any reason now simply because I feel the time has really come where if I get rid of this one I may never be able to acquire one ever again. I have already ruled out ever obtaining the CD unit again.... the prices are truly absurd.

And the original post starter is right. The homebrews for this thing right now are truly sweeet! ;)

Edited by eightbit

I don't know if I'll ever sell my Jaguar stuff.  I've sold most of my other systems over the years, gotten out of gaming, gotten back in, got more.

But Jaguar for me came in late.  I was actually talked OUT of buying new jaguar stuff from a retail store back in the mid 90's... by a friend of mine who happened to work at the game store. They had taken all their Jaguar inventory, and made one giant endcap display out of it, and slashed prices down into the 75%-off neighborhood.

I was interested, as I'd heard about the Jaguar and seen commercials and everything... but my friend talked me out of it, saying they "couldn't GIVE this *%$#@ system away!"

"Wow... but $35.99 for the whole console, new?"

"Don't buy it," he said.

Wish I had a picture of that endcap display now.  Yes, there were CD unit boxes around it.  I remember that.

Anyways, the Jaguar has become my favorite system now.  I did some ebay searches in the early 2000's when they were still being sold in "random video game lots -untested" on ebay for no reserve. One of the lots I won had a bunch of Intellivision stuff with it... a whole stack of overlays.

I did give one of my Jaguar consoles (won in this manner) to a co-worker, back when they were being rediscovered in the mid 2000's because he expressed interest and they kept being featured on "worst console top ten lists". Prices were going up. I hope he still has it.

Anyways, the Jaguar is the most groomed animal in my collection (runner up is the 7800). Love the homebrew scene here too.