IGNORED

Anyone else sell all their Jag stuff and...

Crazy Climber

I don't recall seeing Jaguars slashed in price. They were just one day "gone". Maybe I was late to the clearance party ;) But, I do recall 7800's being clearanced. I walked into my local Child World one day and there was two pallets of them....maybe 80 or more....with a big sign for $5 each. I picked up four brand new boxed 7800's that day for $20 plus tax.

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 5

You must of just not had a KB liquidators store near by in early 97, they bought what inventory was left, also some mail order companies. Sold it cheap.  Then you had another decade or so through mail order or ebay, to get most common games 10 buck range, rayman/temptest big name games 40 buck range.  Only a select few came out in low quantities and were expensive from the front end.

Honestly 5 yrs or so ago AVGN, did his review about how Jag sucked, prices skyrocketed

15 hours ago, Pete5125 said:

You must of just not had a KB liquidators store near by in early 97, they bought what inventory was left, also some mail order companies. Sold it cheap.  Then you had another decade or so through mail order or ebay, to get most common games 10 buck range, rayman/temptest big name games 40 buck range.  Only a select few came out in low quantities and were expensive from the front end.

Honestly 5 yrs or so ago AVGN, did his review about how Jag sucked, prices skyrocketed

Makes sense. I had to look up what a KB Liquidators even looked like. We had KB Toys...never knew they had liquidator stores. I wasn't actively looking for clearance systems at the time so mail order and ebay were things I just didn't use for that purpose. in 97 I was all about the PS1 and Nintendo 64 and PC gaming. If I found a good clearance deal by walking into a store I would sometimes jump on it.

On 9/17/2020 at 6:19 AM, Pete5125 said:

Honestly 510 yrs or so ago AVGN, did his review about how Jag sucked, prices skyrocketed

Fixed.  It's been a while now ;)

We had KB Toys...never knew they had liquidator stores.

I think that was basically all KB Toys locations. I think part of their business model was to act as a job lot - acquiring obsolete and cut rate inventory from other stores for low prices and selling it at a slight markup to the public.

On 9/17/2020 at 6:19 AM, Pete5125 said:

Yep, the good old days. I got my Jaguar for $30 or so at Kay-Bee, probably in 1997. Even bought a second one shortly after to system link. The games, mostly $10 a pop.. so good. If I was paying full price for every game I might not have become attached to the console, but at $30 (with Cybermorph) and loads of games on the cheap, you really couldn't beat the value at the time.

On 9/16/2020 at 11:21 PM, eightbit said:

I don't recall seeing Jaguars slashed in price. They were just one day "gone". Maybe I was late to the clearance party ;) But, I do recall 7800's being clearanced. I walked into my local Child World one day and there was two pallets of them....maybe 80 or more....with a big sign for $5 each. I picked up four brand new boxed 7800's that day for $20 plus tax.

I don't really remember seeing them at retail at all.  Then again I was in college in a smallish town.  But I bought my first console in '98, when they used to have those "computer liquidation sales" at event centers and such.  Piles of them new for $35. 

I kinda miss those liquidation sale events.  Like flea markets for computers and parts!  Obviously killed by the internet/ebay.

Back in 97 I traded my original Jag/JagCD and about 20 games. two being min CIB Long Box Primal Rage and Braindead 13 in for a PS1.. great Idea then but what a way to kill the investment. PS1 are now $10-$15.  Thankfully I repurchased 2 jags and a few games from KBtoys liquidation and later a Jag CD for $99 form Best 

Edited by oakcitycomics
  • Like 1

I'm luckily not in the position where I need to sell things off to get money to pay for something else, but I have been there in the past when I was younger... and it was never really an awesome feeling to have to sell something knowing you still wanted it, but had to in order to make ends meet.

But that said... I'm debating where I want to go with the Atari Jaguar. I have literally every game except for the ones that JUST came out in the past 3-4 months... and I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to buy them. They're all quality games... but I have over 100 Atari Jaguar games at this point.... I think more. Basically anything that anyone has ever burned to a cartridge and sold with a box and a label... plus all the official CD game releases and most of the homebrews.

Problem is I rarely, rarely have time to play games anymore. I work crazy hours, and then have a side hustle which keeps me busy... and then any time left I spend with the family (when I'm not renovating my house, or whatever). So... do I just sell everything and move on? Or do I just keep buying these games knowing that I'll probably never get the time to play them again?

2 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

I'm luckily not in the position where I need to sell things off to get money to pay for something else, but I have been there in the past when I was younger... and it was never really an awesome feeling to have to sell something knowing you still wanted it, but had to in order to make ends meet.

But that said... I'm debating where I want to go with the Atari Jaguar. I have literally every game except for the ones that JUST came out in the past 3-4 months... and I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to buy them. They're all quality games... but I have over 100 Atari Jaguar games at this point.... I think more. Basically anything that anyone has ever burned to a cartridge and sold with a box and a label... plus all the official CD game releases and most of the homebrews.

Problem is I rarely, rarely have time to play games anymore. I work crazy hours, and then have a side hustle which keeps me busy... and then any time left I spend with the family (when I'm not renovating my house, or whatever). So... do I just sell everything and move on? Or do I just keep buying these games knowing that I'll probably never get the time to play them again?

I am in the same position as you.  I don't get to play games as much as I would like at all.  Work, family, fixing house, fixing cars, I burn the candle at both ends all the time.  I just quit my weekend job back in March (just in time too).  Down to one job and I have an extra seven hours every week now, but still not enough time.  Although my older daughter loves playing the Jag, WII, DS, and 360, and I sometimes can spare an hour to play with her.  I suppose I could cut back on AA time and devote more to gaming ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joeatari1 said:

I am in the same position as you.  I don't get to play games as much as I would like at all.  Work, family, fixing house, fixing cars, I burn the candle at both ends all the time.  I just quit my weekend job back in March (just in time too).  Down to one job and I have an extra seven hours every week now, but still not enough time.  Although my older daughter loves playing the Jag, WII, DS, and 360, and I sometimes can spare an hour to play with her.  I suppose I could cut back on AA time and devote more to gaming ?

Aren't we all in similar places in adult life? haha

Besides being my favorite genre anyway, one more vote for beat em ups, there's no simpler genre for busy adult gamers.

You just move right and beat people, and even more awesome, a bunch of them were designed to be beaten in 30 min.  Wish Jag had any of those, but I got all the other 2d consoles for that anyway.

As a kid, Ocarina of Time was one of my most beloved games, today I won't even buy a copy knowing there's zero chance I'll play it decently. Simply no spare time.

So beat em ups here we go.

19 hours ago, marcio_napoli said:

Aren't we all in similar places in adult life? haha

Besides being my favorite genre anyway, one more vote for beat em ups, there's no simpler genre for busy adult gamers.

You just move right and beat people, and even more awesome, a bunch of them were designed to be beaten in 30 min.  Wish Jag had any of those, but I got all the other 2d consoles for that anyway.

As a kid, Ocarina of Time was one of my most beloved games, today I won't even buy a copy knowing there's zero chance I'll play it decently. Simply no spare time.

So beat em ups here we go.

I bought a sega some years ago and amassed a great amount of games for it for nostalgic reasons as well as playing games designed to be beaten in under an hour. 
Now i want games that last a bit longer or much longer but keeping the same 90s tradition. So the Atari Jaguar fills in that specification perfectly. 

:)

I can't believe i spent 60USD on the Terminator 1 on Sega and the game has only 4 freaking levels- in 15 mins. tops u can beat it. 

23 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

Or do I just keep buying these games knowing that I'll probably never get the time to play them again?

Well presumably, some day your kids will be grown up and you'll retire.  If your thumbs still work at that point, you can catch up. ?

Ask yourself if the act of collecting brings you joy by itself though.  If yes, great, keep it up.  If not, why continue?

Lack of time is why I got into the Jagin the first place though.  When I occasionally had time to do some gaming on the PC, I'd start it up, windows would do its update thing, steam would update itself and restart, then the games would have 20GB+ updates to download, I'd wade through the intro videos, ramp back up on the controls and point I was at in some complex story ark... And then it was time for bed.

With the Jag and other older-style games, you snap it in, hit power, and you're playing.  Can sneak in 20-30 minutes here and there and get some actual gameplay done.  This is why I mostly play games like Tempest 2k, Rebooteroids, Raiden, etc.  No need to get bogged down with when you can save next or any of that.  Just smash some buttons and get in the flow state for a bit to unwind.

• Like 3

Well presumably, some day your kids will be grown up and you'll retire.  If your thumbs still work at that point, you can catch up. [emoji16]

Ask yourself if the act of collecting brings you joy by itself though.  If yes, great, keep it up.  If not, why continue?

Lack of time is why I got into the Jagin the first place though.  When I occasionally had time to do some gaming on the PC, I'd start it up, windows would do its update thing, steam would update itself and restart, then the games would have 20GB+ updates to download, I'd wade through the intro videos, ramp back up on the controls and point I was at in some complex story ark... And then it was time for bed.

With the Jag and other older-style games, you snap it in, hit power, and you're playing.  Can sneak in 20-30 minutes here and there and get some actual gameplay done.  This is why I mostly play games like Tempest 2k, Rebooteroids, Raiden, etc.  No need to get bogged down with when you can save next or any of that.  Just smash some buttons and get in the flow state for a bit to unwind.

I identify with this train of thought. I’m not into the Jag but this is exactly why I stay into stuff that’s older. I think the newer stuff is neat, but ultimately I find it to time consuming.

I might find myself getting into newer games when I retire. I’ll probably have more time then. I do worry that if I don’t collect some of the older stuff now that it will be prohibitively expensive when I retire in 25 years.
  • Like 2

On 10/6/2020 at 4:36 PM, 82-T/A said:

Same boat, different paddle here! I support worthwhile projects to do my bit to ensure that worthwhile projects continue to be developed for the system. I may play the Jag only once a month or so, but it'd be one of the last of my systems I'd part with given the fact that letting it go now would ensure the fact that I'd never play it again. If I had to start over again at these prices...I wouldn't. 

• 1 year later...
41 minutes ago, Crazy Climber said:

Took a few years... but I got one  😃 

Robotron with lamas on the way...

Did I hear a rumor ghouls n ghosts was ported? Where do I get one? (Do I need a time machine?) 

Screenshot_20220921-213208_Gallery.thumb.jpg.6cccc6e262ec408cc96909aa636ab539.jpg

Well, we could All use a Time Machine,...Just remember not to park it too close to your Flying Car.

1 hour ago, Crazy Climber said:

Did I hear a rumor ghouls n ghosts was ported? Where do I get one? (Do I need a time machine?) 

Screenshot_20220921-213208_Gallery.thumb.jpg.6cccc6e262ec408cc96909aa636ab539.jpg

Ah, I see you've got the toilet base but not the toilet bowl.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2022 at 10:34 PM, Crazy Climber said:

Its status is currently ‘Unavailable’, but maybe @CyranoJ can assist?

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/246639-atari-st-games-ported-to-the-jaguar/#comments

• 1 month later...

I have no intention of selling my Jaguar collection in the foreseeable future, especially since I know that once it is gone it is gone and it would be too cost-prohibitive to re-buy everything.  With that said, I do occasionally look at all my games on the shelves and do some quick math on how much they are worth.  I could do a LOT with that money, so I can't say that it isn't tempting to consider.  I can't blame anyone who decides that it is time to scale back and cash in.

• Like 1