IGNORED

Japan --> UK stepdown conversion (6 consoles)

TheRealOC

I'm living in Ireland, which is in the PAL region and (like the UK), our standard electricity supply is 230 volt AC. We also use the UK-style "Type G" plugs for our electrical appliances. 

I'm looking to hook up six Japanese consoles to my (otherwise mainly PAL) gaming setup:

1) Sega Saturn

2) Panasonic 3DO

3) Sega Master System

4) SNK Neo Geo CD

5) NEC PC-FX

6) Pioneer Laseractive

My goal is keep them hooked up and ready to go 24/7, via various switch boxes and AV upscalers, and I'm happy that I can pull that off. But the power networking is a different kettle of fish... 

I'm not particularly knowledgable about the basic principles of electricity (apart from my youtube/wikipedia research....) and have no idea if any variants of these consoles (Japanese or otherwise) can be hooked up with multi-voltage power supply units, so I'm assuming that each of these consoles would normally require individual voltage converters.

My question is... would it be possible to connect all six consoles to a power distribution unit like this one from Amazon Japan (https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B081R7GWZP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Jz3vFb1H0W2QQ?fbclid=IwAR2Al3whciDH2qdd5VKmds1a5CGVJW7pL1N_8Y9CnQiaUU47M2y6o4_MTDE) and plug the output from this unit into a 100V-to-230V voltage converter (which would in turn be plugged into my standard Irish wall outlet).

The PDU in the link looks like it has individual switches on it, so only the console being actively used would be getting a current. Would greatly appreciate any feedback or recommendations for changes to this setup idea. 

Edited by TheRealOC

Power supplies are always a bother.

For the Master System, it use a standard 9volts power supply, so you can replace it with an European 9V power supply (or any 9V DC PSU delivering at least 1000mA).

The Neo Geo CD also have a replaceable power supply but it's a two-voltage thing with a proprietary connector. I'm not sure how easy or hard original European PSU for the NGCD are to find.

There is one on Aliexpress : https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000134189016.html but it looks kiiinda dodgy.

I have one question tho, do you really need those systems to be plugged on all the time?

Don't get me wrong, but, save for the Saturn and Master System, none of the system you list really grant much need to be kept ready to fire 24/7, unless you score a Laseractive with the PC-Engine and Megadrive modules. And as I said, you can replace the SMS power supply easily.

Else, your idea isn't too bad. Just be careful to see which of your system draw the more power and check if your step down converter can stand it. The msot commno ones are a little short in power sometime, and I suspect the Laseractive is quite beefy in power requirements.

In the long run tho, I'd advice you to check if you can replace the power supplies of your machines if you aren't 100% standing on "original" and/or don't plan to resell the machines.

3DO is rather easy to replace, Saturn is a PITA due to multiple revisions but some boards can be switched to 230 volts easily. I have no idea about the PC-FX or Laseractive power supplies.

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 2

Oh not at all; I fully acknowledge that no sane person would want them setup all the time - this is just a fun project for me ?Will definitely look into replacement power supplies where possible. 

Would you happen to have any reccomendations for decent converters? The only Japanese devices I have currently hooked up are relatively modern and can just use bog-standard travel adapters. Also do you mind me asking why the adapter from AliExpress looks dodgy?

Many thanks