IGNORED

Thrift store find! Way to test? INTV keyboard

tripletopper

Hello I just got something in the mail today from a friend.  He saw this along his route to work pre-Covid and it was I believe a hundred bucks.  First day salvation army was open from Covid he checked and this was something like 10 bucks or less.  Since all of our friends that are Circle all look out for each other and help each other when we can and think everyday could potentially be Christmas so we don't have to intentionally go out of our way and feel artificial during Christmas and birthdays, when we treat each other like any day could be potentially a Christmas or birthday.

As you can see in the picture it's an intellivision two style keyboard adapter and keyboard, along with the Genesis style one controller and an official Sega 9 pin extension cord.

Obviously the first one is the star, but maybe someone modded the Genesis joystick to work with Intellivision.  If so that would be kind of cool.

May I have a place where there's more information about this on AtariAge?

Is there a PDF of the instruction booklet somewhere?  I doubt there are many games that are compatible with it. Tell me which ones they are and I'll see if I have them.

I also noticed a cassette audio port and an auxiliary port and a remote port and a separate power port.  I assume it's not going to work without a power supply.  Is that correct?  If it does need a power cord may I please have the proper voltage polarity and pin size from a universal adapter?

IMG_20200908_180159204.jpg

Hello I just got something in the mail today from a friend.  He saw this along his route to work pre-Covid and it was I believe a hundred bucks.  First day salvation army was open from Covid he checked and this was something like 10 bucks or less.  Since all of our friends that are Circle all look out for each other and help each other when we can and think everyday could potentially be Christmas so we don't have to intentionally go out of our way and feel artificial during Christmas and birthdays, when we treat each other like any day could be potentially a Christmas or birthday.

As you can see in the picture it's an intellivision two style keyboard adapter and keyboard, along with the Genesis style one controller and an official Sega 9 pin extension cord.

Obviously the first one is the star, but maybe someone modded the Genesis joystick to work with Intellivision.  If so that would be kind of cool.

May I have a place where there's more information about this on AtariAge?

Is there a PDF of the instruction booklet somewhere?  I doubt there are many games that are compatible with it. Tell me which ones they are and I'll see if I have them.

I also noticed a cassette audio port and an auxiliary port and a remote port and a separate power port.  I assume it's not going to work without a power supply.  Is that correct?  If it does need a power cord may I please have the proper voltage polarity and pin size from a universal adapter?
IMG_20200908_180159204.thumb.jpg.fe533b7a3c7ff08de0fb90ae2768e16f.jpg
Correct you need the ps

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

10v AC 1amp

You can find a scan of the instruction book here.

http://www.intellivisionbrasil.com.br/Hardware_ECS.htm

To test it just plug it in to any model intellivision, each uses its own power supply, and plug in any intellivision cartridge.  There's a built in basic programming interpreter and music synthesizer.

There are cartridges that require the computer adaptor.  The list is on wikipedia.

I'd be surprised if that controller was modified for intellivision.  It wouldn't be hard to make it a one button intellivision controller.

Edited by mr_me

2 hours ago, mr_me said:

10v AC 1amp

You can find a scan of the instruction book here.

http://www.intellivisionbrasil.com.br/Hardware_ECS.htm

To test it just plug it in to any model intellivision, each uses its own power supply, and plug in any intellivision cartridge.  There's a built in basic programming interpreter and music synthesizer.

There are cartridges that require the computer adaptor.  The list is on wikipedia.

I'd be surprised if that controller was modified for intellivision.  It wouldn't be hard to make it a one button intellivision controller.

Hello Mr me.

The link you provided was a Brazilian website about the ECS, not a pdf instruction book.

You need a cartridge for it to work.  But..   ANY cartridge, or an ECS compatible cartridge ONLY.

Also as a prepared person in case a INTV flashback controller needed hacking.  I bought a third INTV Flashback controller.  Should I assume the DB9 pinout is of the INTV 2 design, and I need a flashback controller to INTV machine converter?

I see an unlabeled dial with a dot in a position.  What does that do?

I assume the keyboard connector is removable, but I want to do it in a gentle enough way to not risk ruining either port or connector.  Suggestions?

And a Genesis/2600 controller you said SHOULD work on an INTV 2 without an adapter, assuming you're playing a one button, 8 way or less game?

Not based on what ai seen on pinout charts,. I think l some extra pin must be actuated during diagonals, or rules you'll get a tertiary direction

Finally, if you have an "uncoded one wire equals one input" joystick, like a multiconsole fight stick, which pins do I need to actuate for left top, right top, and bottom button?  (Or is the top one mirrored?  I only owned an INTV when it was a Thrift Store Trophy.  I don't have much childhood memories except hating the disc controller in my youth.  I was a ColecoVision guy back then.). If the 3 pins are A B and C, AB is one button, BC is another, and AC is the third, and ABC is any 2 / all 3 for a possible fourth function.

If a game needs a keypad remember 2 things.  The cheapest thing to do I Y the DB9.  2 the 3 columns are the same pins as the action button matric, and 3, you can press only one key at a time, and no joystick or action button with the key, or else the system will do weird things.

No i said it's not hard to modify the genesis controller to make it a one button intellivision controller but it has to be modified.

That website is in Portuguese but that page has a pdf file of the english "computer module owner's guide".

It won't work without a cartridge and any intellivision cartridge will do.  The dial is a volume control for the extra sound channels it provides.  The de9 connectors are intellivision 2 controller compatible.  There's no point in plugging in a controller there unless you have some friends that want to play intellivision world cup soccer.

Edited by mr_me

I do have the White Label World Cup Soccer, as well as all these other $1 pickups at the "Goodwill Outlet Shop". Where things at the "regular Goodwill,":that refuse to get sold go to get sold at and even deeper discount.

I got Boxing, Poker, and Lock N chase as "white label games". As well as Happy Trails, a couple Mattel era games and these "white label exclusives". See pic.

This is 'Ken Awesome.

PS This keyboard double DB9 is so stuck, I'm getting arthritis pulling it out.   2 questions.  1, is there a recommended technique which can get me to pull it out with a crap or broken port or pins on either side?  2). Is it going to be this hard EVERY time?  If so, would straight DB9 M-F cables work to be never removed?  Just plug in and take out the extra controllers  musical keyboard, and QWERTY keyboard?  Just label ports 3 and 4 properly or else the keyboards will be mixed up?

15996181755297425506015490628222.jpg

Edited by tripletopper
Forgot to add something

56 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

Any I used a game it won't boot up without a cart

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Use a Mattel Cart.  It should let you use Basic or the "Music" Keyboard or the qwerty keyboard as a music keyboard.

With a cart, you can extract the sprites to use in basic.  Extract is a strong word.  Allows use of sprites from certain games.

Some carts do not put the sprites in the same locations.  Also, if you create something using "the running man" and then put in Auto Racing... You will have a spinning car instead of a running man....

Edited by 1980gamer
  • Like 1

Thanks 1980 gamer for saying a Mattel cart is a better test of the device working.  That BASIC is included in the device itself.

As for the plug itself, it probably hasn't been used since the 80s so it's probably stuck.  Any advice on how to get it unstuck?

Well I do have World Cup.  And I do have a third INTV controller (though all three are flashback models).

So I do it just need elbow grease once or do I have to use "motor grease" (not literal, some chemical to do the job is okay) to get it out.

And is this going to happen over and over again?  Or is this only one time thing to get it unstuck.  if it's over and over again I could install just a pair of DB9 straight M-F adapters.  Atari coleco and Sega extension cords all do the job for that.

Well I did find the manual.  And apparently has no special directions for either plugging or unplugging controllers.

but looking at the picture of a plug it looks like a cigarette where you have to shift it back and forth while you pull it out.

You'd think if they gave you those complex plugs they did at least give you directions on how to properly take it in and out without risk damaging the pins?

Luckily the PDF is searchable I tried the verb "remove", zero instances, "detach" zero instances.

A little help please?

Well, my  sure hands brother looked at the problem and said use a butter knife around it to loosen it.

It's like it's been stuck in there for 35 years.

I was trying to put his put in an extension cord, but all the extension cords and wide adapters I have are vertical and will keep the device open.  Are there any 90° extension cords for DB9.  At least if those get stuck it'd be easier to come out.

And thanks Mr me for the suggestion of the hair dryer.  It's like this thing hasn't been unplugged since 1985.

Any suggestions for places to buy right angled DB9s? Or should I just learn to live with the door open and put regular y adapters or extension cords in there?

1 minute ago, fdr4prez said:

Take the door off

Just now, fdr4prez said:

Or grab a dremel tool and grind out the area of the door that is hitting the straight plugs. 

Or just leave the door open for the few times that you would be playing a 3-4 player game. 

There is only that one soccer game, and one homebrew of pong that has a 4-player option.