IGNORED

Oh S#!T, I'm having issues with my primary TI!

Omega-TI

My main TI, (the one with all the modifications) has started displaying an irritating issue.  When I turn it on, I simply cannot get things to load properly from my FinalGROM, things lock up, or I get blue screens, or I get nasty screeching noises, sometimes all three at once.  Things seem to settle down after a few minutes, so I'm assuming it's due to the computer warming up.  If this is the case, and anyone recognizes the problem, could someone please clue me into the most probable cause.

My main TI, (the one with all the modifications) has started displaying an irritating issue.  When I turn it on, I simply cannot get things to load properly from my FinalGROM, things lock up, or I get blue screens, or I get nasty screeching noises, sometimes all three at once.  Things seem to settle down after a few minutes, so I'm assuming it's due to the computer warming up.  If this is the case, and anyone recognizes the problem, could someone please clue me into the most probable cause.
Dirty cart port? Does it do this without a cart?

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Omega-TI said:

If it gets better when warmed up I would suspect a capacitor, maybe in the power supply board.  The first thing to check would be the voltages into and out of the power supply.  If they look good and you have the ability, then check for AC ripple.  If that is good, capacitors on the main board?  Have you tried it with just the console to eliminate issues with the FG99 or anything else connected to it?

14 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

Dirty cart port? Does it do this without a cart?

13 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

If this was a poll, I'd vote to look for a potential power problem or poor connection.

It's taken a while to confirm, since the computer has to be cold every time I test, but it appears isolated to the FinalGROM cartridge.  Everything works fine with XB2.7S or the SuperCart.  I dunno if the cartridge is a little "thinner" or if the traces are not making good enough contact until they heat up a little, of if it's some component on the board itself.  Next week when I get some time, the plan is to lay a thin layer of solder on the cartridge traces to build them up "just a tad" in hopes of better initial contact.

Thanks for the feedback!

It's taken a while to confirm, since the computer has to be cold every time I test, but it appears isolated to the FinalGROM cartridge.  Everything works fine with XB2.7S or the SuperCart.  I dunno if the cartridge is a little "thinner" or if the traces are not making good enough contact until they heat up a little, of if it's some component on the board itself.  Next week when I get some time, the plan is to lay a thin layer of solder on the cartridge traces to build them up "just a tad" in hopes of better initial contact.

Thanks for the feedback!
The fg also needs enough voltage to operate so perhaps you should try it with nothing else plugged into the ti but the FinalGrom99 and see if it's still unreliable

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

Thanks for the feedback!

I have the same problem with my FInalGrom99. When the TI is switched on then I have to do a lot of resets, reloads, switch of and on. Sometimes the system halts in the menu, sometimes during loading the module and sometimes after loading the module. When the system is warmed up the problem seems to be gone.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, F.G. Kaal said:

I have the same problem with my FInalGrom99. When the TI is switched on then I have to do a lot of resets, reloads, switch of and on. Sometimes the system halts in the menu, sometimes during loading the module and sometimes after loading the module. When the system is warmed up the problem seems to be gone.

32 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

That's how my nano system seems to act some days, though I don't have an FG99 in the mix.   PEB system? nano?  other?

Yeah, it's kind of a PITA.  No, there is no difference between the P-Box or TIPI/32K system, it's isolated to that specific cartridge.  So, I'm going to clean the contacts first to see if that makes any difference, if not, I'll gamble on the soldering the traces over there being an individual component issue on the board(s).

• Like 1

Okay, I'm happy.  I do not understand how it became so seriously disgusting because I replaced the GROM port a year ago, and I've not inserted any dirty cartridges into my pooter, but YUK, what a disgusting "insulative mess" it was.  At lower voltages, the power requirement of the the FG99 was probably not being met as you can see from these cartridge images...

YUK1.thumb.jpg.6dda6e54fcaf1185169b4580680cdd2d.jpg

YUK2.thumb.jpg.58499220c494533e17dc1c9ac005a72c.jpg

So a trip to Dollar Tree got me a box of these...

YUK3.thumb.jpg.54349ad248b40c382a29a378a76fbb08.jpg

And after a few seconds of rubbing...

YUK4.thumb.jpg.90cf92c7869a579def6fd39789ce3961.jpg

... then I used some folded 3X5 index cards until they came out clean from the GROM port, now things appear to be working just fine.  Seriously, even if you cannot imagine having a dirty cartridge port, double check.

• Like 5

I literally cleaned the cart port and plugged in the fg99 into my system when i got it.

That was over 4 months ago. Nothing else has been inserted since then, and the fg99 has never been removed.

Plus, i keep a clean towel over my ti desk as a dust cover.

Hopefully, it should  long long time before i need to do any more grom port or cart contact cleaning.

Edited by jrhodes
  • Like 1

It's been so long since I've opened up my console but isn't there some sort of felt or material around the cartridge port connector?  I seem to recall removing some material from mine because it seemed to dirty the contacts over time and had a greasy residue.   Edit: answered my own question with a google search and this old thread.

• Like 2