IGNORED

Oh S#!T, I'm having issues with my primary TI!

Omega-TI

I was removing oil-impregnated felt GROM port pads, right after I left TI and started fixing referrals from the local Radio Shack.  The best way to clean the etches on edge connectors is to use a pencil eraser.  It's abrasive enough to clean them, and gentle enough to polish the remaining gold.

CC

• Like 2

On 9/9/2020 at 6:56 AM, Omega-TI said:

It's taken a while to confirm, since the computer has to be cold every time I test, but it appears isolated to the FinalGROM cartridge.  Everything works fine with XB2.7S or the SuperCart.  I dunno if the cartridge is a little "thinner" or if the traces are not making good enough contact until they heat up a little, of if it's some component on the board itself.  Next week when I get some time, the plan is to lay a thin layer of solder on the cartridge traces to build them up "just a tad" in hopes of better initial contact.

Thanks for the feedback!

What's worked for me is to clean the contacts and use a very thin layer of dielectric grease on the contacts.   But, personally, I wouldn't apply solder to the contacts as that, will over time, oxidize and give you further problems.  Back to the clean and grease........

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, FALCOR4 said:

What's worked for me is to clean the contacts and use a very thin layer of dielectric grease on the contacts.   But, personally, I wouldn't apply solder to the contacts as that, will over time, oxidize and give you further problems.  Back to the clean and grease........

Yeah, a cleaning did the trick.  I found the issue.  My FG99 cartridge had repeated unsafe penetration of an unclean TI that I purchased a few months back and then it infected my main pristine system.  All is well now.  Remember, be careful where you stick that thing!  ?

B.JPG.3af28bb98bffe0daa73256ed9b018915.JPGA.JPG.8647ff481f49e2ab886acead23adaed3.JPG

• Haha 3

Using a pencil eraser to clean the cartridge contacts was a tip given 30 or so years ago and it was coupled with removing the pad inside the cartridge port. I haven't heard of any effective spray to clean the cartridge port. Anything that would dissolve the grease would tend to spread the mess all over inside of the console. It isn't a particularly difficult job to get to the cartridge port anyway.

1 hour ago, FALCOR4 said:

This applies to adding solder to some other contacts,such as those on disk controllers edge connectors.  The surface area is no longer smooth and often results in less and/or intermittent contact with the cable.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GDMike said:

Is there a spray that we can spray in the nose of these cartridge ports that works, I mean, shoot do I have to pull apart the console for real? What about sandpaper on the cart connection that we could push into the nose, or something.

Using sandpaper would be asking the Fickle Finger of Fate to point in your general direction.  Taking the console apart takes less than five minutes.

CC

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

This applies to adding solder to some other contacts,such as those on disk controllers edge connectors.  The surface area is no longer smooth and often results in less and/or intermittent contact with the cable.

I was young and did not know better...