IGNORED

Top 20 home computers read

Shift838

Naw--  the TI is a pretty clever system, but it shows real signs of rushed work, and kludges.  (8 bit data on a 16 bit bus, with that many waitstates? Really?)

Other systems have their own warts.

I prefer to think about it in terms of what might have been, had "GET THERE FIRST!" had not been such an impetus, or, in the case of the Amiga, had "NO, its ONLY for THIS PURPOSE!!" not been the mindset of the american company's leadership. (Amiga could have gone somewhere, and somewhere BIG, had the US management not been idiots)

8 hours ago, wierd_w said:

Amiga could have gone somewhere, and somewhere BIG, had the US management not been idiots

I remember well - good graphics, sound, mouse ... then came the PC AT, and years of EGA graphics, games with sound output from the chassis speaker, and games that did not run with mouse, since the mouse driver took too much memory. And MS-DOS instead of the Workbench.

• Like 1

amiga was the first multimedia platform.. many many years before the peecee cought up to it's capabilities..  It should have been everything but unfortunately it was hobbled by Commodore. It was responsible for much of our entertainment and television for many years though..  as it could do in a desktop what ilm/pixar used a supercomputer for..  

Greg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

amiga was the first multimedia platform.. many many years before the peecee cought up to it's capabilities..  It should have been everything but unfortunately it was hobbled by Commodore. It was responsible for much of our entertainment and television for many years though..  as it could do in a desktop what ilm/pixar used a supercomputer for..  

Greg

It would have been interesting if Commodore had been able to get 20 million Amigas in circulation, like the C-64. Licensing the platform?  By the time PC multimedia had caught up, all the parts to clone video and sound cards were off-the-shelf, but Amiga's were not. Still, people upgraded their video toaster as far as 68060! I'm only a Mac-owning bystander here.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, JB said:

There's no way the friggin' SPECTRUM is better. The Guardian is foisting british propaganda off on us.

I should probably start this comment by saying that I'm a Spectrum fan and run the spectrumcomputing.co.uk website. I did however recently purchase a TI99/4A which I very much like.

My old boss had a TI99, and had always known about the machine (having been a young teenager during the 8 bit boom), but I was reminded about it after the release of Parsec for the Spectrum:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2960

Anyway, back to the subject.

These sorts of useless polls are always a problem, and we had a similar discussion here:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3321

We all have our favourites.  I recall the battles at school!  Over lock-down (and as I have grown older) I have really enjoyed experiencing other 8bit systems, either through real hardware of emulation.  We all have our top system (which is great), but I enjoy and appreciate others too.

Edited by jonesypeter

Some time ago I watched a documentary film about the 80's computer era, and I was quite impressed how popular the Spectrum became, especially in the UK, and how this success was based on games derived from movies - something we almost completely missed for the TI (except for MASH or Buck Rogers).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mizapf said:

Some time ago I watched a documentary film about the 80's computer era, and I was quite impressed how popular the Spectrum became, especially in the UK, and how this success was based on games derived from movies - something we almost completely missed for the TI (except for MASH or Buck Rogers).

Maybe nice, Spectrum used to have "movie-pictures" loaders (like Rambo) and if I am correct

Ton Brouwer wrote a program to load those headers from cassette tape. I had a friend with a

Spectrum and loaded many of those, but some came from another source (cannot remember exactly,

must be 35+ years ago)

nanopeb format .dsk  (use TIDIR to change to another .dsk format)

0189-SpectrumGraphics02.dsk 0189-SpectrumGraphics03.dsk

SPECTR1.DSK SPECTR02.DSK SPECTRU1.DSK

Edited by globeron
  • Like 3

Movie licenses were popular, of course, but I wouldn't say Spectrum's success was based on them. It was so immensely popular because it combined very low price with reasonably good specs, and was easy to code for. This has resulted in huge software library, and its hardware limitations have also proved to be a blessing in disguise, since the devs tried to squeeze everything out of it and often managed to pull some incredible feats.

Eg games from Ultimate (which has later become that Rare) such as Knight Lore have kickstarted the entire isomteric genre, precisely because of scrolling and sprite limitations. Manic Miner was written by a 16 year old, Lords Of Midnight contained a huge open-world in 48 kilobytes, Ant Attack was an inspirationaly early 3D title, and there were many others similarly astonishing titles. Plus some cracking arcade ports such as Bomb Jack or Renegade. These might have had worse sfx/gfx* than on competing platforms but sometimes were much more playable.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Mehridian Sanders said:

I don't know how many of you would be interested in the somewhat sultry nature of the series, however I did just binge the first 3 episodes of "Halt and Catch Fire". it spans 4 seasons and 40 episodes... I am probably going to be watching them all. if you get addicted... grats and sorry.

A link sir?  Also, which were the TI related episodes?

On 9/9/2020 at 2:57 AM, youxia said:

This list is actually not too bad, considering how subjective this topic is. And their yardstick is partially influence on the evolution of gaming scene, not which one had better specs.

Of course, on every forum now there are similar cries of "we wuz robbed!" :)

The #1 choice is a stretch by any definition of the topic. Even in 1989, when I proudly bought my first AT clone, PC gaming was just awful. I bought in (a very bad idea) because I was tired of hunting around for odd titles for niche (ie. Atari) systems, and wanted to simply walk into a store, buy a game, and play it. Ha! What little did I know at the time...

And is the suggestion that gamers and programmers were inspired by DOS 1.0 and CP/M in 1981? Exactly how many games in the early '80s were coded for DOS and then ported for other systems? Did even Infocom do this with its Z-interpreter?