IGNORED

Let's talk PC SHMUPS

Keatah

SHMUPS, while popular on the PC, were always best in the arcade and some home consoles. But the PC has a few really excellent ones.

Raptor

Tubular Worlds

StarGunner

Tyrian

VAX 11

DemonStar + secret missions 1 & 2 + level packs

..were among my favorites. What would you add to this short list and why?

Japanese made, seems to love older windows but they did attempt a patch to make it be nice on modern Windows, and currently hanging in purgatory on their blog site as coming with a modern re-release, it's called Idinaloq from Namikaze Project, a fantastic vertical 3D (object) shooter in space.  Has a few choices in ships to use too to add a little variety.

DOS era I used to love another vertical shooter, seeing a pattern here, that isn't listed above called Galactix, and that one is kind of like galaga in design yet has a defined set of stages and a plot around it too which is kind of rare.  It's not overly deep or advanced, a good arcade late 80s level style shooter.

Galactix or Galacta? Or maybe it was renamed.

Galacta : the battle for Saturn for MS-DOS. Released in 92 or 93 apparently, but a very early 80's feel.

I had it, enver got far, but a friend of mine deeply into shooters (they made a few "10 top world records" on obscure - obscure in Occident, that is - Japanese shooters from Cave, to situate the player level :D )  knew of it and said it was a very decent shooter, so that's enough for me to say it's worth checking :D

I've always really liked Tyrian (and similar style SHMUPS), and I remember playing the shareware of Raptor from an odd "100 games for PC" disc. :lol:

I think you get Tyrian 2000 for free with a GOG account. Not to mention Tyrian has been ported to like every single system under the sun.

12 hours ago, CatPix said:

Galactix or Galacta? Or maybe it was renamed.

Galacta : the battle for Saturn for MS-DOS. Released in 92 or 93 apparently, but a very early 80's feel.

I had it, enver got far, but a friend of mine deeply into shooters (they made a few "10 top world records" on obscure - obscure in Occident, that is - Japanese shooters from Cave, to situate the player level :D )  knew of it and said it was a very decent shooter, so that's enough for me to say it's worth checking :D

Never heard of it, trust me, it's Galactix.

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/galactix-343

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

I'm currently playing DemonStar. I recall buying the game way back in the Windows98 days. And for some reason I set it aside till now. There's enough levels between the base game and add-on packs.

I liked seeing more special effects and antics in the two packs. Each level has its own flavor and there's 36 altogether. Plus 4 levels of difficulty. Not saying it's the best. I'm sure there's better available. Just enjoying working through the levels. I have a bunch of user-made, semi-official levels to try too.

It's easy to avoid memorizing patterns, just take a different route or combination of power-ups. There's only so much that can be done with SHMUPS, so the onus is on the player to mix it up.

When I'm done with this I'll try out DeltaZeal or that Crimson one.

I have a few games I'd like to mention. The first is the 1998 version of Asteroids. I really liked this game as a kid, and it was one of the first games I played on PC since I had a Mac as a kid. Maybe it actually sucks because I was a kid and didn't know better, but maybe try it!

The other might not count, and it's Descent. I loved this game as a kid, as well. I tried to play it several years ago on my modern PC, but I wasn't satisfied with the results. I think it was mostly the controls since I think I used a PS4 controller and didn't really like it like that. Again, not sure if this counts, but it's definitely a shooting game on PC and it's also definitely awesome.

Well if we're going to widen the pool to not just the standard definition I think it's time to throw out the likes of Terminal Velocity (which is like starfox64 in all range mode mixed with descent) and also Zone 66 which is a 2D but 360 degrees of freedom shooter.  Both are DOS games, the first is up on GoG.

Edited by Tanooki