IGNORED

Atari 600XL upgrade - who's done it?

hloberg

I'm seriously thinking of getting a 600xl (as soon as I find one at the right price that is). Anyway, I was looking at BEST and they have an upgrade to 256k and a composite upgrade at really good prices. Anyone have any experience with these upgrades or other types of upgrades. what I have found on the 600xl upgrades on AA has been mixed.

31 minutes ago, mimo said:

Internal 64k upgrade is simple or check out the upgrades or syscheck from tf_hh.

I'm pretty sure use of SYSCHECK 2.2 for extended memory requires 64K base memory, so the internal 64K upgrade would still be required.

Jurgen also makes internal SRAM upgrades that plug into the ANTIC socket, a 512KB version for all XL/XE systems except the 600XL and a 576KB version for the 600XL(includes 64KB base RAM) that may work in the other XL/XE systems as well.

If you want to upgrade the 600XL, don't go for the 256K upgrade. Nobody today should do that, IMHO. Those upgrades are TTL/DRAM based memory upgrades, which are only "reliable" on atari's without anything connected to the parallel bus or cart port. If you want to use a harddrive in the future or some other cool device, those TTL/DRAM based memory upgrades are getting unstable. Better is going for some kind of SRAM based memory upgrades. Those RAM's don't need a stable refresh, so they are much more reliable.

If you are handy yourself, and you would like to to some solder jobs yourself, you might want to look at the 512K SRAM upgrade by Hiassoft. It needs 1 GAL and one SRAM chip. I did a few of those, and they work very well. You need a GAL programmer/burner though to program a GAL for this upgrade.

The only Atari's I really succesfully upgraded with DRAMs are XE's. They have better logic on board for the refresh of DRAMs. But still... even in XE's I prefer SRAM today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BillC said:

I'm pretty sure use of SYSCHECK 2.2 for extended memory requires 64K base memory, so the internal 64K upgrade would still be required.

Are you sure? IIRC Syscheck can replace all internal memory as it was designed to allow system testing even when bad RAM prevents a startup. Maybe the master himself can clarify? @tf_hh?

38 minutes ago, slx said:

Are you sure? IIRC Syscheck can replace all internal memory as it was designed to allow system testing even when bad RAM prevents a startup. Maybe the master himself can clarify? @tf_hh?

The „Mode Select“ block
The second block with three switches on the right is called „Mode Select“ and used to setup SysCheck´s operating mode(s). First you will find the explanation of each switch:
DIP 3_1 (first DIP-switch of „Mode Select“ block):
ON 64 KB main memory is provided by Sys-Check. Internal memory on Atari PCB is disabled.
OFF Internal memory on Atari PCB is used.
DIP 3_2 (second DIP-switch of „Mode Select“ block):
ON Operating system is provided by Sys-Check. Internal OS-ROM on Atari PCB is disabled.
OFF Internal operating system on Atari PCB is used.
DIP 3_3 (third DIP-switch of „Mode Select“ block):
ON 512 KB external memory expansion is enabled – when DIP 3_1 is set to OFF!
OFF Memory expansion is disabled

From the manual 

• Like 2

I also recommend the 576KB memory upgrade by @tf_hh , which was designed with the 600XL in mind. It does NOT requiere to upgrade to 64KB first, and it also replaces some logic chips and the delay line chip. 

Regarding monitor port, you should do UAV and install the DIN 5 socket, which is very easy to do (assuming NTSC machine). 

If it is a PAL machine, from my perspective, the stock video output is good enough after an easy mod to provide S-video in the monitor port.

• Like 4

I have a 600XL.  I've upgraded the base memory to 64K, installed Ultimate 1MB, Ultimate Atari Video, and installed and wired the monitor port.

The 600XL makes for a very nice small footprint XL series computer. 

If you ever want to go 'wild' with upgrades, stereo, VBXE, cpu accelerator, etc, etc it can get a bit tight fitting everything in there.  So if you think you'll ever go 'wild', it will be easier to start with an 800XL ?

While there are different video upgrades out there... I don't know what is best in the 600XL (and this is likely different between NTSC and PAL, as well as what display you'll be using), but I'm very pleased with the UAV upgrade personally.  If you are going to be using LCD display, the Sophia upgrade will give you digital video (DVI) (there is a RGB version as well, plus there is an upcoming Sophia 2 which will support both).

• Like 2

wow, a lot more ways to mod the 600xl then I thought. I've done a good bit of soldering so I think I can get the setup I want with what you all have suggested, thanks. and just as soon as the people on ebay stop selling the 600xl for their equivalent weight in gold i'll buy one and mod it.

I have used Antonia in my 600XL. It is very compact and adds 6 (or maybe even 8) flashable OS slots (without a menu, though) and a 65C816. Installation is quite simple with very few wires requiring soldering to pickups on the Motherboard. with 4MB RAM. It is internal and does not require a 64K base RAM upgrade like Ultimate1MB.

• Like 2

On 9/10/2020 at 12:47 PM, slx said:

SysCheck _can_ substitute the complete 64 KByte main memory, but internal Atari Basic and any inserted cartridge is disabled then. The reason is simple: When SysCheck forces control over the buss to mirror the memory on the SysCheck PCB, the logic can´t recognize what´s plugged into the cartridge slot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, archeocomp said:

Currently it looks like Covid drives up prices of vintage computers, real estate.. you name it.

just had an Atariage user sell me one at a really good price. The next thing I'm going to do, when I have time, will be upping the memory. then I think I'm going to make a RespeQt cable if I ever find that old SIO cable I had squirreled away for this.

Anyway, expect me to start picking brains off this site on how to best add memory to a 600XL in the mear future. :) 

Maybe you're not picking brains yet.... but you have a few ways to go on memory in a 600XL....

There are some memory upgrades (well, at least one) that don't require upgrading to 64K first.... sadly I don't remember what it/they is/are.

Then upgrades like Ultimate 1MB (which I did on my 600XL) require you get too 64K first.

If you have to get to 64K first (or if you only care about getting to 64K), there are 3 ways to go:

1. The 'easy way' using 64K x 4 DRAMs (well covered in the forums)

2. The 'hard way' using 64K x 4 DRAMs (the way I went which I haven't seen any instruction on)

3. The easiest way using a 64K SRAM solution available from @lotharek's store.

I had a hard time between 2 and 3, and in the end chose #2 as in my mind I was wiring the 600XL the way Atari should have.  It involved pulling up one or two chips, cutting some traces, one or two jumpers on the bottom side of the PCB, plus the 2 RAM chips.  Now my 600XL shows no memory mod from the top and if there is a memory problem, just pull and replace the DRAM chips.

#1 is easy and #3 is nice solution and is quick/easy upgrade as well.

If you have an NTSC one, you'll definitely want to add the 5 pin monitor port, and either fill out the missing circuitry or put in a UAV video upgrade (which is what I did). 

Enjoy bringing your 600XL to the upgraded level you desire.  It is a nice small footprint Atari.

As with most things, there are multiple ways to go, so collect advice, research the solutions and go for it !

12 hours ago, cwilbar said:

Maybe you're not picking brains yet.... but you have a few ways to go on memory in a 600XL....

There are some memory upgrades (well, at least one) that don't require upgrading to 64K first.... sadly I don't remember what it/they is/are.

Then upgrades like Ultimate 1MB (which I did on my 600XL) require you get too 64K first.

If you have to get to 64K first (or if you only care about getting to 64K), there are 3 ways to go:

1. The 'easy way' using 64K x 4 DRAMs (well covered in the forums)

2. The 'hard way' using 64K x 4 DRAMs (the way I went which I haven't seen any instruction on)

3. The easiest way using a 64K SRAM solution available from @lotharek's store.

I had a hard time between 2 and 3, and in the end chose #2 as in my mind I was wiring the 600XL the way Atari should have.  It involved pulling up one or two chips, cutting some traces, one or two jumpers on the bottom side of the PCB, plus the 2 RAM chips.  Now my 600XL shows no memory mod from the top and if there is a memory problem, just pull and replace the DRAM chips.

#1 is easy and #3 is nice solution and is quick/easy upgrade as well.

If you have an NTSC one, you'll definitely want to add the 5 pin monitor port, and either fill out the missing circuitry or put in a UAV video upgrade (which is what I did). 

Enjoy bringing your 600XL to the upgraded level you desire.  It is a nice small footprint Atari.

As with most things, there are multiple ways to go, so collect advice, research the solutions and go for it !

I would like to know more about your version #2 since I'm not a big fan of solders chip legs. I may or may not go that way put at least have it as an option. FYI, I'm about an 7 or 8 when it comes to modding computers, I've done a few Ataris, CoCo2s and TI99s.

It might be hard, as I did not document the process.  It is the same wiring as the 'standard' upgrade using wires on the top side, but doing it on the bottom side.  The cut traces are to deal with the chip legs that IIRC correctly are lifted in the conventional upgrade.  Issue is, that under 1 or 2 chips, there are traces shorting a couple of legs together, hence needing to pull the chips (and any associated sockets) in order to get to them to sever the required traces.

I can always look at my 600XL and determine which chips I pulled as I'll be able to see which ones were resoldered.  I could also document the jumpers on the bottom and where I put them.

If you feel that would be helpful, let me know, and I'll plan on doing that.

4 hours ago, cwilbar said:

It might be hard, as I did not document the process.  It is the same wiring as the 'standard' upgrade using wires on the top side, but doing it on the bottom side.  The cut traces are to deal with the chip legs that IIRC correctly are lifted in the conventional upgrade.  Issue is, that under 1 or 2 chips, there are traces shorting a couple of legs together, hence needing to pull the chips (and any associated sockets) in order to get to them to sever the required traces.

I can always look at my 600XL and determine which chips I pulled as I'll be able to see which ones were resoldered.  I could also document the jumpers on the bottom and where I put them.

no rush on my behalf as since it'll a few weeks or months before I'll even have time for this project anyway. but from what you say this would be a good thing to document for the Atari community in general anyway. I'm sure there are several others out there who aren't too crazy about the bended leg technique and would like an alternative. So a short topic, possibly a few pictures, would be enough.

21 hours ago, cwilbar said:

Once I came across with PAL 600XL without most sockets. So I tried to do the upgrade by cutting some traces and it was a mess, because I did not realize that by cutting some traces to the needed pins in the chip , there were bridges in the other side of the board (under the chip itself, so I could not see them) so I effectively did cut the signal for several pins. I guess it was the ground that goes to several pins in the 74ls158 chips.

If you have sockets, it might be easy to remove the logic chips and see the whole picture.

In my case I restored the cut traces and decided to cut the appropriate legs from the logic chips, since I did not care about soldering wires to the chips legs.

• Like 1

I'll look to get some photos showing the jumpers, and I'll figure out which chips I removed to cut traces.  I won't be removing the chips to show the cut traces, but I think I can probably determine what was cut.

IIRC it was a ground, and it went between two of the chip legs.  It was this way on at least one, if not 2 chips.

It kept me hunting for a while, as I did not expect that, as schematics which show grounding vs how the grounding is achieved on the PCB are not represented on the schematic ?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, hloberg said:

I'm looking into SRAM 64Kb REVISED from Lotharek but haven't found anyone ever posted on the forum about it. anyone use it?

also, somewhere I 'think' I read you must modify the UAV to get it to fit in a 600xl. Anyone installed the UAV in 600xl?

I have this, and tested it, but opted in the end to make a 'factory' 64KL 600XL (as if Atari had done it).

Works well, and IIRC you can eliminate a number of parts from the mainboard if you go that rouote.

I also installed a UAV.  Clearance is a bit tight with some resistors IIRC.... I think I soldered the double ended pins to provide as much length as possible, but I may have used double ended pins that didn't come witth the board.  You can also add an extra socket to get more height (probably the easiest route).

• Thanks 1