IGNORED

Yar's Revenge port for Atari 800

mike.2000

Yar's Revenve - I played it for hours on the 2600

Back in 1985 I was wondering why Atari didn't release it for the 8-Bit computers. It isn't so hard to implement.
As I found out by going through my old disks, I sat down in 1985 and startet implementing my own Yar's Revenge port in ACTION!
Recently I recompiled it and it's working. The UI is already done - but what I didn't implement back then was a complete gameplay, create levels, increase skill, etc...

If until now there really isn't a Yar's Revenge out (I don't know), we should do that. What do you think.
I uploaded my sourcecode of the unfinished project: ACTION! source code: Yar's Revenge : YARS.ACT 58 sectors. Cannot continue on that great game, can you ? Feel free to change, copy, expand, optimize my code. Even if you'll get rich with it, that's no problem for me ?

Mike

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

"Yar's Revenge"
 "Yar's Revenve"

Good Lord.

The name is "Yars' Revenge", the apostrophe is in the wrong place in both accounts, and the latter word is 'Revenge', not 'Revenve'.

Why do so many people STILL get this wrong after so many decades, when it's so easy to research and find the actual name, when you have the internet at your fingertips?

Have some respect, and type the names correctly. Surely it's not too much to ask, is it?

"Yar's Strike" should be "Yars' Strike". It's not about an individual Yar, it's the whole RACE of Yars. Why do people still not know this? How long does it have to take until people get it right?

"It's a remake from the classic Yar's revenge from the atari 2600. "

So much wrong here.

It's a remake _OF_ the classic "Yars' Revenge" (apostrophe in the wrong place, 'Revenge' should be capitalized) ON (or even FOR) the Atari 2600 (Atari should be capitalized, as it is a NAME, have some respect, please!)

Do you think you can just type "from" instead of the correct articles in english and get away with it?

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Monk said:

"Yar's Revenge"
 "Yar's Revenve"

Good Lord.

The name is "Yars' Revenge", the apostrophe is in the wrong place in both accounts, and the latter word is 'Revenge', not 'Revenve'.

Why do so many people STILL get this wrong after so many decades, when it's so easy to research and find the actual name, when you have the internet at your fingertips?

Have some respect, and type the names correctly. Surely it's not too much to ask, is it?

"Yar's Strike" should be "Yars' Strike". It's not about an individual Yar, it's the whole RACE of Yars. Why do people still not know this? How long does it have to take until people get it right?

So much wrong here.

It's a remake _OF_ the classic "Yars' Revenge" (apostrophe in the wrong place, 'Revenge' should be capitalized) ON (or even FOR) the Atari 2600 (Atari should be capitalized, as it is a NAME, have some respect, please!)

Do you think you can just type "from" instead of the correct articles in english and get away with it?

Give him a break, I don't believe English is his first language.  English is not the easiest language to learn, much less punctuate.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, atari181 said:

Give him a break, I don't believe English is his first language.  English is not the easiest language to learn, much less punctuate.

No kidding.  Even the new fakeTari showed a fake screenshot of their fake un-console's game selection screen.  This overpriced $400 turd can play a good game of Asteroid supposedly.

21 hours ago, Monk said:

"Yar's Revenge"
 "Yar's Revenve"

Good Lord.

So much wrong here.

Maybe you should not only read what he is writing, but also notice where he is coming from, e.g. take a look to the left where it says "Location: Karlsruhe, Germany".  I would accept your complaint if he had written here in german language (ignoring the fact that this is an american forum), but since he wrote everything in (d)english, you could at least understand what he wanted to say...

It is not easy for us germans to use the correct prepositions in english ("from" instead of "of" is one of many typical german mistakes and there are dozens of others). Besides, I am also using the wrong english prepositions quite often and make other spelling and grammar mistakes. Luckily for us, german grammar is much harder, hahaha!

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Maybe you should not only read what he is writing, but also notice where he is coming from, e.g. take a look to the left where it says "Location: Karlsruhe, Germany".  I would accept your complaint if he had written here in german language (ignoring the fact that this is an american forum), but since he wrote everything in (d)english, you could at least understand what he wanted to say...

It is not easy for us germans to use the correct prepositions in english ("from" instead of "of" is one of many typical german mistakes and there are dozens of others). Besides, I am also using the wrong english prepositions quite often and make other spelling and grammar mistakes. Luckily for us, german grammar is much harder, hahaha!

Well, your english is better than most native speakers (who by the way are almost 99% guaranteed to only speak a single language).  I rarely point out grammar or spelling mistakes unless I am asked to proofread for someone, and when I do, it can be done in a much nicer manner.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 11:57 PM, Monk said:

"Yar's Revenge"
 "Yar's Revenve"

Good Lord.

So much wrong here.

LSP (Language Secret Police)

But I do understand your position. I'm a member of the German ReSchPo  (Rechtschreibpolizei)  ?

Yeah always “fun” to go for the grammar and spelling... well... in programming languages it would kill you....

maybe we let Monk e.g. talk and write French or Chinese or German instead and see how that turns out... sometimes I really think we guys are living in our own world with our 1st world problems in 2020...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heaven/TQA said:

sometimes I really think we guys are living in our own world with our 1st world problems in 2020...

I don't know how correctness in language and grammar is related to this, but you're definitely right with your sentence above. Sadly, "we" just don't care much about problems of the 3rd world people ?
Most of us, that is.

Got to admit, that response got my back up when I read it, all the poster was doing was giving his code away

to hopefully benefit someone else. I am an English speaker (Welsh actually :) ) and I don't give a hoot

how someone who's not fluent writes their posts, all that matters is people be nice to each other and give help

and support when it's asked for (which most people here do anyway, great bunch) ?

• Like 2

On 10/21/2020 at 3:57 PM, Monk said:

"Yar's Revenge"
 "Yar's Revenve"

Good Lord.

So much wrong here.

We should all thank Monk for this English lesson.  Also he didn't capitalize English in the last sentence.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 1:50 PM, Stephen said:

Well, your english is better than most native speakers (who by the way are almost 99% guaranteed to only speak a single language).  I rarely point out grammar or spelling mistakes unless I am asked to proofread for someone, and when I do, it can be done in a much nicer manner.

Yeah, English language is difficult anyhow, too many oddities in it.  Most other languages also structure their sentences in a nice clean manner, like putting nouns first, then adjectives.  In English you'd say 'old man' in many other languages you'd state 'man that is old.'  Certain amount of beauty to it in that regard.  While I'm not entirely fluent in anything except the English language, I do understand the order of others like French and Spanish.  Though I slept through my Spanish classes.  :P

3 minutes ago, leech said:

Yeah, English language is difficult anyhow, too many oddities in it.  Most other languages also structure their sentences in a nice clean manner, like putting nouns first, then adjectives.  In English you'd say 'old man' in many other languages you'd state 'man that is old.'  Certain amount of beauty to it in that regard.  While I'm not entirely fluent in anything except the English language, I do understand the order of others like French and Spanish.  Though I slept through my Spanish classes.  :P

One of my favourite Youtube couples are Anni & Lauri Vouhensilta (Hydraulic Press and Beyond the Press channels).  Lauri speaks what we call "Finglish" - English with a heavy Finnish accent.  I love the way their word order is different.  It's always easy to know what they mean, it just sounds so different.

Where we would say "Anni, what is your opinion", he always says "What is Anni, your opinion".

• Like 2