IGNORED

Super Pro Football

TeddyBear89

I LOVE this game.  I missed it the first time around and can only imagine how I would have played it relentlessly had I got it back in the 1980's.  I was one of those types who kept my passing and rushing stats ON PAPER playing 4th and Inches on my C-64.

SO, not trying to cause trouble or start a rebellion.  I have no talents other than playing old video games and drinking beer. But.....can someone with the skill and knowledge fix the few glaring issues with this great game and release it in cartridge format?

Please:

1. Make the length of quarters adjustable.  It takes two hours to complete a game!

2. Fix the passing so that a pass can be thrown longer (and more accurately) than 10 yards

3. Tweak the ability for the QB to rush with the football.  As it is now, you're basically doing quarterback sneaks and lucky to gain 3 yards on most carries.  It would be nice to have a better running game capability, maybe be able to use a side button to break a tackle or get an extra burst of speed.  Make them limited, of course but someway have a more fully-realized running game.

I game solo where my player skill is 1 (rookie) and I set the CPU to 7 and have been successful.  I am going to crank up the CPU to a 9 next time I play.

I did once own Super NFL Football for the ECS but found it buggy and a little too easy.  I'd take Super Pro any day over it.

Thanks for reading......

• Like 4

Probably like most of us that play Super Pro, I tend to stick with the same programmed routes for several plays in a row.

Oddly enough, I find programming the receiver routes to be an enjoyable nuance.  It is kind of fun picturing in your head the possibilities of your guy starting, stopping, coming back and going diagonally.  I just wish the ball could be thrown for longer than 10 yards so these routes could fully materialize.

But yeah, add this to the "fix-it" list too.......

• Like 2

@TeadyBear89..

Yes, 4th and inches was a good game.  Plus the roster was funny.  QB  Willie Pass   WR  Hugo Long etc.  Accolade was one of my favorite C=64 developers.

I played a lot of NFL and Super Pro Football over the years.

My brother an I would play a set of sports games very often 1 quarter of NFL  15 mins was good.  1 half of Soccer. 1 game of MLB. 1 set in Tennis.  ( I never won :(  )  and a full game of NBA

I didn't mind setting pass patterns and I did reuse them at least 2 plays most of the time.

On a "run" play I would use one receiver as a blocker if they actually would engage a defender??  But the other I would delay and then use as an option College style.

For changes...  Force receivers to block on a run play.

Patterns could be done easier.

Currently you have to click repeatedly to go deep.

We could make it:

Select Receiver:  1 or 2

Depth: Short, mid, Long

Pattern: Fly, Slant, Hook, Out etc.

I wouldn't mess with the clock speed.  Just play a quarter or a Half.  I guess quarter length selection would be okay. 

I would be curious at others suggestions..  This game is pretty darn solid.

I played a lot of NFL Football when I was a kid and would enjoy playing NFL Football as 1 player but I never thought of updating Super Pro Football because I agree with 1980gamer that the game is really solid.

I doubt bsr Steve would be interested in updating Super NFL Football but he can chime in. Maybe I need to look into updating Super NFL Football instead of updating Super Pro Football. I thought Super NFL played well. Would someone tell me what is not working well with it?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2020 at 11:51 AM, mr_intv said:

This is fantastic. Any chance of a cart or even a board release?     Is it possible to have a runner fumble from time to time?

TeddyBear89 will be getting a board of the game with the updated menu option. I was thinking of updating how the receiver path's were defined but am not going to change this. I am not doing anymore changes to the game. I am more than happy to make a game board for anyone else interested.

• Like 2

On 9/29/2020 at 9:09 PM, intvdave said:

TeddyBear89 will be getting a board of the game with the updated menu option. I was thinking of updating how the receiver path's were defined but am not going to change this. I am not doing anymore changes to the game. I am more than happy to make a game board for anyone else interested.

Absolutely. Me too please. 

On 9/29/2020 at 10:09 PM, intvdave said:

I’m definitely interested in a game board. :)

TeddyBear89's board has been shipped to him. Hopefully, we can get feedback that the game is playing as expected.

Most of you have probably bought from me before. Either email me or PM me. The boards are $30 shipped to U.S. address and $35usd shipped to Canada. For those of you in Canada, I suggest we wait for TeddyBear89's feedback.

Edited by intvdave
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, intvdave said:

TeddyBear89's board has been shipped to him. Hopefully, we can get feedback that the game is playing as expected.

Most of you have probably bought from me before. Either email me or PM me. The boards are $30 shipped to U.S. address and $35usd shipped to Canada. For those of you in Canada, I suggest we wait for TeddyBear89's feedback.

PM sent.

On 9/19/2020 at 5:51 AM, intvdave said:

I played a lot of NFL Football when I was a kid and would enjoy playing NFL Football as 1 player but I never thought of updating Super Pro Football because I agree with 1980gamer that the game is really solid.

I doubt bsr Steve would be interested in updating Super NFL Football but he can chime in. Maybe I need to look into updating Super NFL Football instead of updating Super Pro Football. I thought Super NFL played well. Would someone tell me what is not working well with it?

There have been times where I scored a touchdown and it game me 2 points for a safety instead!  Another item that really needs fixed is when a team intercepts a pass you have no idea it was intercepted.  Maybe a noise could be programmed in to aid with this?

1 hour ago, atarifan88 said:

There have been times where I scored a touchdown and it game me 2 points for a safety instead!  Another item that really needs fixed is when a team intercepts a pass you have no idea it was intercepted.  Maybe a noise could be programmed in to aid with this?

Are you referring to Super NFL Football? Super Pro Football says "Interception" on the screen.

I am happy to report that the 5 minute per quarter option is a success.  Game play is the same and you are a lot more mindful of the clock.  And I learned something today......there is no overtime.  My first game ended as a 21-21 tie and after consulting the manual there is no mention of overtime.  As I scored the last touchdown with 24 seconds left on the clock I could not help but to wish for the 2-point option.

Nevertheless, the quarter option alone makes this great game even better.  If you are a Super Pro Football fan (and someone who likes to complete the game) this is worthwhile.  Thank you David!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TeddyBear89 said:

I am happy to report that the 5 minute per quarter option is a success.  Game play is the same and you are a lot more mindful of the clock.  And I learned something today......there is no overtime.  My first game ended as a 21-21 tie and after consulting the manual there is no mention of overtime.  As I scored the last touchdown with 24 seconds left on the clock I could not help but to wish for the 2-point option.

Looks like I need to add overtime. I am thinking that once you go into overtime, the game ends when a score is made. Is this correct?

• Like 1