IGNORED

Super Pro Football

TeddyBear89

"Looks like I need to add overtime. I am thinking that once you go into overtime, the game ends when a score is made. Is this correct? "

For purposes of this football game, this is probably the way to go.

Technically, if the first team with the ball scores a TOUCHDOWN in overtime the game is over.  If the same team scores a FIELD GOAL, the other team gets the ball back.  If they score a a touchdown, game is over.  If the second team scores a field goal, the game continues until the next team scores or the overtime period expires - then it is a true tie.

The OT rules changed a few years ago to try to make things fairer.  I think statistically the team who had the ball first in OT won like 70% of the time (because all that was needed was a field goal).

Again, I am lovin' the 5 minute quarters!

On 10/4/2020 at 11:09 AM, intvdave said:

Looks like I need to add overtime. I am thinking that once you go into overtime, the game ends when a score is made. Is this correct?

Yes that's correct... BUT... only on your opening drive if you are the winner of the coin toss.  You can also make it more competitive by allowing another posseion by the other team.  If they don't equal or beat your initial tie breaker score, they loose.  If they do, you loose.  I always felt that was more fair than the first score, drop dead rule.

Bad side is the game could potentially go on forever...at that point, OT ends and the game is over.  Whether it's a tie or not. 

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-overtime-rules/

Edited by IMBerzerk

In 1986 it was sudden death overtime.  With tie if no one scored.

Now, if you score a touchdown on the first possession, you win.

If you sore a field goal and make one defensive stop, you win.

If you score on defense you win.

If you give up an opening drive field goal but score a touchdown on your first possession, you win.

After each team has one possession and it is still a tie, whoever scores, wins.

I think that is it?

Shit, most likely a wiki with better descriptions etc....

• Like 1

I've always felt that a tie in football is worse than losing.

Fun fact: Football is the only major sport that still allows ties.

Hockey got a hint and took away the possibility of a tie.  Why can't football do the same?  Seems like a waste of a game when it ends in a tie...

5 minutes ago, eebuckeye said:

What?  you can have ties in hockey and soccer also.

Soccer will allow for ties in the main season, but typically will have an extra 30-minute overtime (2x15minute halves) in the knock-out stages and finals.

If there is still a tie at the end of the extra time, then shootouts will settle the final score.

1 hour ago, eebuckeye said:

Oops.. I stand corrected..  It was after a shootout then a tie could occur - I thought .. but that changed.

I guess soccer is the main one (??) now.  ?

No.  The point of the shootout was to break a tie.  There was never a shootout that would end in a tie.

Soccer is not considered a major sport at least in the United States (baseball, football, hockey, and basketball are the four major sports).

42 minutes ago, atarifan88 said:

Soccer is not considered a major sport at least in the United States (baseball, football, hockey, and basketball are the four major sports).

MLS (Major League Soccer) <> it is right in the name :lol:

Form Wikipedia:

With an average attendance of over 20,000 per game, MLS has the third-highest average attendance of any professional sports league in the U.S. after the National Football League (NFL) and Major League Baseball (MLB),[15] and was the seventh-highest attended professional soccer league worldwide by 2013.[16]

image.thumb.png.b06a091378e08574de673403381376c7.png

MLS is expanding to 30 teams soon

CFL - way to represent

37 minutes ago, fdr4prez said:

MLS (Major League Soccer) <> it is right in the name :lol:

Form Wikipedia:

With an average attendance of over 20,000 per game, MLS has the third-highest average attendance of any professional sports league in the U.S. after the National Football League (NFL) and Major League Baseball (MLB),[15] and was the seventh-highest attended professional soccer league worldwide by 2013.[16]

image.thumb.png.b06a091378e08574de673403381376c7.png

MLS is expanding to 30 teams soon

CFL - way to represent

Also from Wikipedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_in_the_United_States

Based on revenue, the four major professional sports leagues in the United States are Major League Baseball (MLB), the National Basketball Association (NBA), the National Football League (NFL), and the National Hockey League (NHL). 

2 hours ago, atarifan88 said:

Who needs money...

:horseshack:

you need people in the seats and people's eyes on the TV 

:potatoe:

image.thumb.png.a7cee45d301301b70281654dc9e9c53d.png

:group:

3 hours ago, mr_me said:

Most people don't live in the united states and in the world of soccer, MLS is considered a minor league.  The MLS still haven't achieved the popularity the NASL got in the 1970s and 80s.

Yes, if you watch the English Premier League games, or some of the other leagues out there, and then you switch over to an MLS game you can see a clear change (decrease) in performance.  But MLS is still fairly new.

NASL was a bit before my time.  I was too young in the '70s to know what was going in the world and when the '80s came around it was already doomed to failure.  Outside of a few adverts for the local team, I don't remember much about NASL.

4 hours ago, atarifan88 said:

Just once I would love to hear the crowd noise from the Intellivision pumped into a game on TV! ?

this last weekend we were watching the USL match between the Sacramento Republic and the Portland Timbers II, and the pumped in crowd noise was largely someone blowing a whistle non-stop.  We needed to turn down the volume.

On 10/6/2020 at 6:23 PM, fdr4prez said:

Who needs money...

:horseshack:

you need people in the seats and people's eyes on the TV 

:potatoe:

image.thumb.png.a7cee45d301301b70281654dc9e9c53d.png

:group:

Participants.. great wording!

I have participated in soccer, but I have played Hockey, baseball, basketball and football.

I have lots of friends that love soccer.  I get it.  I have friends that love the 2600.   But if 1 button does it for you...  Great!

• 1 month later...

Received my modded game board today. Played 5 minute quarters on Super Pro level. 21-0 win. So nice to play a game that doesn’t take as long as a real game. Lol. I’ll start handicapping myself to see if it gets tougher. Could have been 24-0 but my field goal kicker needs to work on his aiming. ;)

Edited by mr_intv