IGNORED

Anybody Still Play?

Jamcat Reloaded

Anybody still play Atari BASIC games on their 400/800/XL/XE? Was thinking about writing a game to see if I can still do it. I remember my submissions to ANTIC Magazine. 

The 8-bit Treasure Guide had Saucerian Shootdown. And the Atari Goes Hollywood issue had Sorcerer's Apprentice. Fun games for BASIC games. ANTIC was going to publish more of my games, but they went belly up after those 2. 

Antic_Vol_7-09_1989-01_8-bit_Shoppers_Guide_0000.jpg

Antic_Vol_7-05_1988-09_Atari_Goes_Hollywood_0000.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jamcat Reloaded said:

Anybody still play Atari BASIC games on their 400/800/XL/XE? Was thinking about writing a game to see if I can still do it.

Sure, why not? However, I wouldn‘t use AtariBasic anymore , but rather TurboBasic or the new FastBasic. If it doesn‘t have to be Basic, I can highly recommend MadPascal.

3 minutes ago, starfighter said:

Sure, why not? However, I wouldn‘t use AtariBasic anymore , but rather TurboBasic or the new FastBasic. If it doesn‘t have to be Basic, I can highly recommend MadPascal.

I second this.  I haven't tried FastBasic, but Turbo Basic is compatible with Atari Basic, adds more commands, runs much faster, has an optional  compiler for even more perfomance and is completely free to use, what's not to like? :) 

5 hours ago, Fierodoug5 said:

Found you mentioned in this where are they now article too.

https://www.atarimagazines.com/bios.html

It mentioned the 2600 Doom hoax which I don't remember if I remember or not, in which an Atari 800xl was used for nefarious purposes!:

https://www.oocities.org/timessquare/arcade/8691/2600DOOM.HTM

Edited by invisible kid

• 4 months later...

Hello @Jamcat Reloaded ,

It would be wonderful to see all your games again and it would be a real treat to see your' magic happen on the Atari again!

Please consider fast basic if you wan't something done that regular basic is not co-operating with speed wise. Pretty sure you've got most of the other techniques down :) for other things.

Great to see another return!

On 9/11/2020 at 12:32 PM, zzip said:

hey, my Atari survived "Paperweight", it can survive anything! ?

I remember that one! I never bothered, seemed a waste of time, but I remember people sending in complaint mail about publishing a program that would destroy your computer and the editor's editorial assuring people it wouldn't really damage your Atari! LOL! Gullible people...was that in an April edition of Antic? (April fools)

Edited by Gunstar
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Gunstar said:

I remember that one! I never bothered, seemed a waste of time, but I remember people sending in complaint mail about publishing a program that would destroy your computer and the editor's editorial assuring people it wouldn't really damage your Atari! LOL! Gullible people...was that in an April edition of Antic? (April fools)

I thought that Paperweight was a great demo!  The "static" (remember static?) was really realistic!  The little "glitches" on the screen, with the accompanying glitchy sound..., it was all really well done.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, StickJock said:

I thought that Paperweight was a great demo!  The "static" (remember static?) was really realistic!  The little "glitches" on the screen, with the accompanying glitchy sound..., it was all really well done.

Maybe I'll have to type it in or find the magazine disk ATR it was on. As I said, I never tried it, at the time I just felt it was a waste of time to spend typing in a program that just makes it look like it's destroying the Atari.