Jamcat Reloaded

Anybody Still Play?

Anybody still play Atari BASIC games on their 400/800/XL/XE? Was thinking about writing a game to see if I can still do it. I remember my submissions to ANTIC Magazine. 

The 8-bit Treasure Guide had Saucerian Shootdown. And the Atari Goes Hollywood issue had Sorcerer's Apprentice. Fun games for BASIC games. ANTIC was going to publish more of my games, but they went belly up after those 2. 

Antic_Vol_7-09_1989-01_8-bit_Shoppers_Guide_0000.jpg

Antic_Vol_7-05_1988-09_Atari_Goes_Hollywood_0000.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sugarland said:

Would be happy to play them, sure please!!   So you are responsible for Antic going belly up?

His games destroyed entire magazines..  Sure I'll play the next one, what's the worst that can happen?   😄

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, zzip said:

His games destroyed entire magazines..  Sure I'll play the next one, what's the worst that can happen?   😄

That grand old Atari setup you have, might give up the ghost, and head for the great computer shop in the sky. 😂😂😂

I love the graphics in your games. Fun as well. I'm not sure if you had found them and/or posted them but did ever post your other games that did not make it into Antic magazine?

• Like 1

And you should consider adding multiplayer via networking on FujiNet!  You know - to spice things up even more!  😁

Edited by jamm

22 minutes ago, blacka013 said:

That grand old Atari setup you have, might give up the ghost, and head for the great computer shop in the sky. 😂😂😂

hey, my Atari survived "Paperweight", it can survive anything! 😄

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jamcat Reloaded said:

Anybody still play Atari BASIC games on their 400/800/XL/XE? Was thinking about writing a game to see if I can still do it.

Sure, why not? However, I wouldn‘t use AtariBasic anymore , but rather TurboBasic or the new FastBasic. If it doesn‘t have to be Basic, I can highly recommend MadPascal.

3 minutes ago, starfighter said:

Sure, why not? However, I wouldn‘t use AtariBasic anymore , but rather TurboBasic or the new FastBasic. If it doesn‘t have to be Basic, I can highly recommend MadPascal.

I second this.  I haven't tried FastBasic, but Turbo Basic is compatible with Atari Basic, adds more commands, runs much faster, has an optional  compiler for even more perfomance and is completely free to use, what's not to like? :) 

We still play basic games on occasions in the high score club

5 hours ago, Fierodoug5 said:

Found you mentioned in this where are they now article too.

https://www.atarimagazines.com/bios.html

It mentioned the 2600 Doom hoax which I don't remember if I remember or not, in which an Atari 800xl was used for nefarious purposes!:

https://www.oocities.org/timessquare/arcade/8691/2600DOOM.HTM

Edited by invisible kid