IGNORED

Morf [WIP]

Lavalamp

I am impressed, @Lavalamp as I am a 7800 fan (as if you couldn't tell by my username).  I love to see new games for my beloved console.

We need more platformers.  What I want to know is a point of reference - the game looks like a kitbash of Montezuma's Revenge and the Goonies.  Am I right?  Or were you aiming for a different feel?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lavalamp said:

Took me a long time to find that this -1 doesn't work in  7800Basic

For Check = 0 to numEnemy - 1

It works, and an example like yours is even part of the for loop example in the docs. You've just omitted the "step" keyword, which is required to specify the step value.

[edit - unless you mean sticking "-1" next to a variable in a statement argument doesn't work. then right, there's no on-the-fly math to adjust statement arguments.]

On 10/31/2020 at 2:27 PM, 7800Knight said:

I am impressed, @Lavalamp as I am a 7800 fan (as if you couldn't tell by my username).  I love to see new games for my beloved console.

We need more platformers.  What I want to know is a point of reference - the game looks like a kitbash of Montezuma's Revenge and the Goonies.  Am I right?  Or were you aiming for a different feel?

To be honest spent no time on those titles, so hopefully will be original. I want to put some surprises in. I also need music, haven't tried the tracker yet. Building a cartridge now to test it on real hardware, these are all uncharted waters for me...

• Like 1

On 10/31/2020 at 3:46 PM, RevEng said:

It works, and an example like yours is even part of the for loop example in the docs. You've just omitted the "step" keyword, which is required to specify the step value.

[edit - unless you mean sticking "-1" next to a variable in a statement argument doesn't work. then right, there's no on-the-fly math to adjust statement arguments.]

Thats right not a step, inline maths. Fixed a number of issues for me as you can imagine. Surprised it was running at all :)

• Like 1

Update: Graphics been tweaked all the time, got my movement finally sorted, map 2 added, still lots todo. Also discovered if you reduce images to 4 index colours in GIMP you can than use Paint.NET (I prefer its interface) and save with its new support for 2-bit colour PNG. 

Capture.thumb.PNG.0db06f94f8c009f9fa8d0ef35a336391.PNG

Capture3.thumb.PNG.36e02459411e430404497a6f9c017c75.PNG

Capture2.thumb.PNG.0ad0aa324d1d20bc1d579455c85ec3c4.PNG

• Like 9

On 9/12/2020 at 10:09 AM, SmittyB said:

That does look fun, I'm eager to see how it develops. For my answers I'm going to assume you're using 7800BASIC.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but when you peek a tilemap to identify a tile, at the moment I directly address the map like so:

tileID = peekchar(level_1,tileX,tileY,20,12)

I want to be able to reuse tile/map code, to instead of using level_1 can I point it by doing this?

level = level_1

tileID = peekchar(level,tileX,tileY,20,12)

Update 22/11/2020:

I fixed the above by using memcopy to move the ROM data into RAM :) Turned out I had just to look at the samples

Edited by Lavalamp
Update

• 3 months later...

Need a bit of help with Morf, its progressing, but I got a bit stuck on how to do a DELAY or WAIT , basic loops don't seem to work. Ill use this for title screens etc. I have a new bug where PEEKCHAR is not seeing the right area of RAM, which should be the screen, its odd.

1 hour ago, Lavalamp said:

Need a bit of help with Morf, its progressing, but I got a bit stuck on how to do a DELAY or WAIT , basic loops don't seem to work. Ill use this for title screens etc. I have a new bug where PEEKCHAR is not seeing the right area of RAM, which should be the screen, its odd.

Can you count frames or approximate seconds? I have a tick that's once every 32 (or 64? I forget) frames, and I use that to count elapsed time for some systems. For example, I change pages on my menu every few seconds based on that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of re-writing Morf now that I have more of a handle on 7800Basic, I need to re-write the collision/tile detection, and want to explore the use of more colours. 

Also, I would like to have a continuous level, rather than separate Tiled maps. is it possible to do this with Tiled? I take it it will be limited by memory?

• Like 6

• 10 months later...
On 3/23/2021 at 12:08 PM, Lavalamp said:

I'm thinking of re-writing Morf now that I have more of a handle on 7800Basic, I need to re-write the collision/tile detection, and want to explore the use of more colours. 

Also, I would like to have a continuous level, rather than separate Tiled maps. is it possible to do this with Tiled? I take it it will be limited by memory?

Rewrite underway.....

74975620_Screenshot2022-02-06122710.thumb.png.759335e71b1bd63492f7dab489347a3c.png

• Like 10

@Lavalamp, this project looks so great. What a wonderful addition to the system this will make. A good, original platformer! We are cheering for you...

To answer your earlier question - yes, you can make a continuous level with Tiled, but memory becomes an issue. You would also need to work on scrolling through the level.

Edited by saxmeister

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...