IGNORED

Morf [WIP]

Lavalamp

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/12/2022 at 1:21 AM, Ecernosoft said:

You can get a Concerto Cartridge. It's a SD-atari cartridge where you insert a SD card and there. All your ROM's ready to go!

Concerto arrived very quickly and Morf ran perfectly on my 7800! :)

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/4/2022 at 9:29 AM, Ecernosoft said:

Nice! Made any progress?

I haven’t seen an update in a while on this game.

I've run into a crash I haven't been able to clear, it crashes on loading the fourth map, and I have no idea why, even if I start the game on a higher level. :(

23 minutes ago, Lavalamp said:

I've run into a crash I haven't been able to clear, it crashes on loading the fourth map, and I have no idea why, even if I start the game on a higher level. :(

This is a total stab in the dark, but that description makes me think it might be a stack issue. By any chance do you have any gosubs without returns in the code?

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Lavalamp said:

if you want to zip up your source and related files and send them over via PM I'd be happy to take a look to see if I can see what's causing your crash.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2022 at 9:46 PM, Karl G said:

This is a total stab in the dark, but that description makes me think it might be a stack issue. By any chance do you have any gosubs without returns in the code?

Yeah, stack problems can be real game breakers. You also want to keep in mind the 7800’s stack is only 192 bytes long due to the mirrored 64 bytes of I/o in the $100-$13F zone.

7800 had a lot of strengths, but also a lot of weaknesses like this.

On 11/16/2022 at 3:44 AM, Muddyfunster said:

if you want to zip up your source and related files and send them over via PM I'd be happy to take a look to see if I can see what's causing your crash.

Is it possible to view RAM in any 7800 emulator? I know 8bitworkshop  supports it, but please, don’t try that. 

1 hour ago, Ecernosoft said:

Yeah, stack problems can be real game breakers. You also want to keep in mind the 7800’s stack is only 192 bytes long due to the mirrored 64 bytes of I/o in the $100-$13F zone.

This is a 7800basic project, so there is even less stack than that. Really though, there's very rarely a good reason to use anywhere near that amount of stack. If a project is running out, the most common reason is accidental stack corruption, like not returning from routines properly.

1 hour ago, Ecernosoft said:

Is it possible to view RAM in any 7800 emulator? I know 8bitworkshop  supports it, but please, don’t try that. 

Yes, via the a7800 debugger. RevEng has notes on using that debugger on his site.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Karl G said:

This is a 7800basic project, so there is even less stack than that. Really though, there's very rarely a good reason to use anywhere near that amount of stack. If a project is running out, the most common reason is accidental stack corruption, like not returning from routines properly.

Yes, via the a7800 debugger. RevEng has notes on using that debugger on his site.

Thanks!