IGNORED

Interest Check - doubledown's custom controllers!

doubledown

I am looking to gauge the current community interest, that anybody may have, in any of my "available" custom controllers...to see if there is warrant for a pre-order thread...for a large batch controller build phase.  Say what...I know, right!  Basically I'm saying, that I don't build customer requested, 1 off controllers, 1 at a time...and/or on demand; unless its a new design being commissioned that I'm interested in, or some other extraneous circumstance.  I just don't have time for all that nonsense, plus all of the multiple shipping costs really add up when all applied to only 1 controller.  So I prefer to build multiple controllers at once...in "large" batches.  So, as there have been multiple people over the last few months, informally mentioning that they may have interest...I'm here, looking to do a more "formal" interest check.  

With all that said...I'm not going to litter this topic with 50 pictures, of every controller I've ever made, with full detailed descriptions...the easiest thing to do, is to take a look at my website here:

www.VikingVG.com

...where, you can see my entire portfolio of work...and read the detailed specifications for each controller.  

With that said, I am not refurbishing/modding any ColecoVision consoles, I am not building any themed Coleco ColecoVision Hand Controllers, and there are a few specific controller editions that were limited editions...and thus not available.

So currently no Coleco Hand Controllers will be offered...which include all of the following editions (of Hand Controllers):

Coleco Black, Coleco Silver, Carnival, Defender, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong - Radar Scope Conversion, Donkey Kong Jr., Mouse Trap, Ms. Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man (b), Pac-Man, Pac-Man (b), Pac-Man Plus, Popeye, Venture, #2495 Display

Additionally, due to their limited edition status, there will be no more of the following controllers:

#2495 Display Edition - VVG Joystick Controller, #2495 Display Edition - VVG Enhanced Controller, Gauntlet Edition - VVG Experience Controller

So what does that leave as available...follow the link to my website listed above (or in my signature below) and find out.  Realistically it means that everything else (which was not mentioned above, as "not available"), is, and can be available. 

So for those that need a little more spoon feeding, most of the:

Joystick Controllers - HERE

Grip Controllers - HERE

Enhanced Controllers - HERE

Signature Controller - HERE

Experience Controllers - HERE

...can be available.  Along with other controllers I've made for Atari, Nintendo and Sega consoles...which can also be available.   

I don't have prices on my website, as A) its not a web-store, and B) many of my controllers are subject to "market-pricing" due to donor hardware.  But to provide a little bit of guidance, here are a few pricing examples (assuming donor hardware hasn't radically changed):

2-Button VVG Joystick Controllers (not painted), like the Coleco Black or CollectorVision Phoenix editions are around $225.00

4-button VVG Joystick Controllers (not painted), like the Super Action (Orange), or Super Action (Red), are around $240.00

1-button or 2-button VVG Joystick Controllers, that are painted, like Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Pac-Man or Ms. Pac-Man, are around $275.00

Coleco Edition - VVG Signature Controller is $500.00

So what I'm asking for here, is for anybody who is interested in getting any of my custom controllers in the upcoming and near future, to post a reply in this topic with what you're interested in (Editions/Models/Quantities), to see if there are enough people interested, to warrant a formal "pre-order" thread, and then a build phase to follow.  If there is enough demand, then I will post a formal pre-order thread which will remain open for 2 weeks, after which, deposits of 50% or 100% (buyers choice) of the controller's price will be collected, then parts will be ordered, then controllers will be assembled, then buyers will be contacted to pay their shipping costs (and if applicable, the remainder of their controller balances), then the controllers would be shipped.  Assume approximately 4-6 weeks from the start of a pre-order thread (with it's 2 week period included) to me starting to ship out completed controllers.  As I have many different models, and they have varying sizes and weights...I can't give specific shipping costs, but if memory serves, smaller controllers, like the VVG Joystick Controllers are about $25-$35 shipped within the U.S., and around $50-$75 outside of the U.S...so you have some idea.  Larger controllers, such as some of the Experience controllers are bigger and heavier, and would obviously cost more to ship.  

So if you're interested in any of my custom controllers post a reply.  If you're interested in the price of a specific controller that I haven't mentioned a price for above, post a question, and I'll provide a price.  Or if you have any other questions...let me know.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/12/2020 at 3:01 AM, socrates63 said:

Enhanced Controller / Asteroids / qty 1

2 hours ago, Mr. John ColecoVision said:

If we were on a previous list with TeamPixelBoy for the Asteroids controller and game, should we again list that interest here?

On the Ms Pac-Man, can pink and blue buttons with pink stick or knob be used?

With regards to the Asteroids controllers.  The Asteroids controllers are to be released with, and when, Asteroids for the ColecoVision is released.  Pixelboy and I worked out the details...and the "advertised/mentioned" price of $150 for this controller is with that group order...which greatly benefits from large quantity discounting, and shared shipping costs.  With that said, I am not in control of when this software release will happen, so if anybody wants to get an Asteroids controller prior to this large group order/build for them, they can be made available, but would be at a price closer to $200-$225.  

1 hour ago, Mr. John ColecoVision said:

1- Pac-Man (Blue knob like Mousetrap w/yellow and blue buttons if possible)

1- Ms.Pac-Man (Pink knob / pink and blue buttons if possible)

1- Vanguard VVG Experience

Obviously any color of buttons and/or ball knobs are possible (as long as they're available), but they kind of take away from the game specific theme I've crafted for any of these themed controllers. If this is something you would really want, it can be done, but note that the manual included with the controllers will still feature a picture of the controller as I originally designed it.   

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, doubledown said:

Obviously any color of buttons and/or ball knobs are possible (as long as they're available), but they kind of take away from the game specific theme I've crafted for any of these themed controllers. If this is something you would really want, it can be done, but note that the manual included with the controllers will still feature a picture of the controller as I originally designed it.   

Thanks for the quick reply and flexibility with the knob and button colors.

16 hours ago, doubledown said:

With regards to the Asteroids controllers.  The Asteroids controllers are to be released with, and when, Asteroids for the ColecoVision is released.  Pixelboy and I worked out the details...and the "advertised/mentioned" price of $150 for this controller is with that group order...which greatly benefits from large quantity discounting, and shared shipping costs.  With that said, I am not in control of when this software release will happen, so if anybody wants to get an Asteroids controller prior to this large group order/build for them, they can be made available, but would be at a price closer to $200-$225.  

Thanks. I reached out to pixelboy and will register with him to buy the controller.

Lacking space for a separate desktop controller for every system, I have always dreamt of a "multi-system" desktop controller with switching options for various systems (a bit like the Quickshot 128), preferably for Atari standard/7800/Jaguar/Genesis and maybe Vectrex.

2 hours ago, socrates63 said:

Thanks. I reached out to pixelboy and will register with him to buy the controller.

Sounds good.

Just now, slx said:

Lacking space for a separate desktop controller for every system, I have always dreamt of a "multi-system" desktop controller with switching options for various systems (a bit like the Quickshot 128), preferably for Atari standard/7800/Jaguar/Genesis and maybe Vectrex.

Multi-system controllers are obviously possible, it just depends on how "robust and mechanical" vs. "electronic and witchcraft-y" you want it...and for how many systems you're trying to get it working for.  I previously made these:

1ETOdR.png

...which are compatible as:

Sega Genesis - 3 button controller (with Start button), which covers the Genesis, plus Atari 2600 0/1/2 button games and those that follow this standard as well as SMS, Commodore...plus others

as well as 

Coleco ColecoVision - 2 button controller (no keypad)...only because a keypad is not required for the ColecoVision port of Gauntlet

This is done quite simply with a 10P10T indicating push-button switch (upper right corner of the control panel), a bunch of diodes, and a bit of extra wiring.  This type of wiring concept can be repurposed for a more "general" controller (not Gauntlet themed as above), and I'm sure 7800 compatibility could be added too...probably would need a 2nd switch.  Anything else/additional (Jaguar, etc.) is always possible...just adds even more to the price, and if the connector end is different than the standard 9-pin, multiple cables are required.  Alternatively I'm sure this could all be done with some sort of micro controller or Arduino or the likes...but I like to keep it simple when possible, and steer clear of the electronic magic.