IGNORED

Picked up a classic/survivor today...

RJ

What are the trakballs' chemical compositions? Because Legos (made of ABS [Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene] plastic) have something in them that, when white Legos begin to "yellow", submerging them in hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) under UV light (i.e. sunlight) restores their pristine whiteness, & I was thinking of trying this with the MC trakballs.

Edited by RJ

A stone cold classic!  I just repaired the track-ball on my MAME cabinet after months of procrastination, and spent about an hour playing some MC last night.  High score so far is 64k.  

I think the "milotle" is a cousin of the "chipotle" but resulting in notably less toilet-trombone the following day.  ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My high on the cocktail so far is 17,460. 

MC was not a.go-to for me BITD & my needs were served by the 2600 version. This was buried super deep in the FB Marketplace & I concluded a true Atari fan can't let something like this go by. The gameplay is admittedly kinda dull (I always thought) but the game itself is is fantastic shape & adds class to my gameroom. Being a vintage Atari item didnt hurt either.

Edited by RJ

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 10:04 PM, RJ said:

The gameplay is admittedly kinda dull (I always thought)

My experience is kind of the opposite of what you said.  I grew up with the 2600 version and that game was decent but I never liked it much; it was just one of those dirt-common carts that was passed around and played from time to time.  I think I have about 6 copies of it right now and I don't know why.

I never even got to play the arcade version with a track ball until I built a MAME cabinet 10 years ago.  The game seemed off-puttingly difficult at first, but once I started to make some progress in the game I found it pretty addictive.  Whenever I visit retro arcades, it's one of the first games I look for so I can get some time in on that enormous track ball. 

As for the game being dull, I suppose I can see how some would say that because the concept is so dead simple.  But for me, simple doesn't necessarily equate to dull, especially when it comes to golden age arcade games.  I find Space Invaders very dull, but Asteroids and MC are easily top-20 games for me.  I think the key is to "tune" the difficulty curve so that it presents a satisfying challenge right away, and games only last a few minutes for most mere mortals.  Even with my high of 64k, that game probably took barely 5 minutes, and certainly no more than 10. 

Edited by Cynicaster
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 10:35 AM, racerx said:

Yep.

I'm familiar w/ GCC's history with Atari & the 7800/games development, Crazy Otto, Food Fight, etc. What  does the SMA specifically have to offer? One more horizontally flying enemy & a wider color palette? I watched a "John's Arcade" YT ep on it but TBH he kinda glossed over the SMA part & what it does.

& the SMA will work in my 1980 cocktail?

I don't think the trackball has any fire retarding chemicals in it like most plastics, which is what causes the yellowing.  I would assume the discoloring is from 40 years of hand cheese staining it.  I guess it couldn't hurt to try retrobrighting though. You could probably try soaking it in bleach water too

• Like 1