IGNORED

Menu Navigation Improvements

Andrew Davie

A few small suggestions for improving the menu navigation experience...

* if you're at the top of a single-page menu, pressing UP will take the highlight to the last entry. This can make it much quicker to get to the bottom.

* if you're on the first page of a multi-page menu, then LEFT will take you to the last page.

* If you're on the first page of a multi-page menu AND at the first entry of that page, UP will take you to the last entry on the last page.

* All of these can be considered that menus are a circular list and don't really have a beginning or end as far as using them goes. You can always always go up or down, left or right. Where that makes sense, of course.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

It would be nice that the location of the started ROM could be saved, in order to jump there using a root menu shortcut (an option or by moving the joystick left or right while in the root), just like when the emulation is exited.

This way, it would be easier to explore and try the public ROMs.

On 1/11/2021 at 11:09 PM, vitoco said:

It would be nice that the location of the started ROM could be saved, in order to jump there using a root menu shortcut (an option or by moving the joystick left or right while in the root), just like when the emulation is exited.

The path history is stored in the PlusStore logs. But we can not change (yet) the current path in the PlusCart from the PlusStore API.

We could generate a root menu pseudo folder like "Last Visited Folder" and list the content of the folder there. But this wouldn't really redirect the PlusCart to the real folder, when exiting this folder the user would be back in the root menu and not in the parent folder of the real folder.

We are using a similar approach for the "Popular ROMs", "My Recently Played ROMs" and "Favorites" pseudo folders and the search results, but these pseudo folders complicate everything in the API and firmware code and I don't like this..

• 1 month later...

Didn't know where to put this but I guess here is a good enough place to ask the question. I see with the new 36 character kernel shown on zph navigation up and down seems smoother than it does on plus cart. Also when I put in something like a WiFi password the pause between each character being selected is pretty good. Didn't know if when you implement this will the menu and keyboard get any quicker. I would love someday if the keyboard would be shown full qwerty and your can select each letter without a page reload, may be system limitations I'm sure no matter how crafty you get with programing tricks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2020 at 3:41 PM, Andrew Davie said:

A few small suggestions for improving the menu navigation experience...

* if you're at the top of a single-page menu, pressing UP will take the highlight to the last entry. This can make it much quicker to get to the bottom.

* if you're on the first page of a multi-page menu, then LEFT will take you to the last page.

* If you're on the first page of a multi-page menu AND at the first entry of that page, UP will take you to the last entry on the last page.

...and similar for the last page of a multi-page menu.

On 9/12/2020 at 3:41 PM, Andrew Davie said:

* All of these can be considered that menus are a circular list and don't really have a beginning or end as far as using them goes. You can always always go up or down, left or right. Where that makes sense, of course.

:thumbsup:

I am currently testing with a paddle game, so I have to use the SELECT and RESET switches for navigation. Then, if I move just one entry too far, there is no way to get back (except for switching the console on and off). Circular navigation would help here too.

Also it would be very helpful if a joystick in the 2nd port would work like a joystick in the 1st port. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I am currently testing with a paddle game, so I have to use the SELECT and RESET switches for navigation. Then, if I move just one entry too far, there is no way to get back (except for switching the console on and off). Circular navigation would help here too.

In addition to that, I'd also like using one of the console toggle switches to change the direction in which SELECT scrolls the menu entries, as proposed by @Al_Nafuur here.

2 minutes ago, alex_79 said:

In addition to that, I'd also like using one of the console toggle switches to change the direction in which SELECT scrolls the menu entries, as proposed by @Al_Nafuur here.

Good one. But the default direction should be always down, no matter how the switch is set initially.

• Like 1