IGNORED

TI BASIC/TI EXTENDED BASIC Games that are worth to be compiled...

tmop69

********** 29 July 2022 UPDATE: MegaPack V6.0.0 now available for download. 600+ compiled games!

---> Download on Post #776

---> Official Labels for SSS compilations on Post #279

********** 3 May 2022 UPDATE: MegaPack V5.0.0 now available for download. 

---> Download on Post #671

********** 13 NOVEMBER 2021 UPDATE: MegaPack V4.0.0 now available for download. 

---> Download on Post #544

********** 22 MAY 2021 UPDATE: MegaPack V3.0.0 now available for download. 

---> Download on Post #392

**************************************************************************************************************************************

There are some games that have the gameplay ruined by the slowness of TI BASIC/TI EXTENDED BASIC. Some of them are worth to be compiled to try to see if the gameplay is improved by speed! ;-) 

Of course, it's not enough to just compile them, since you need to adjust the speed for input, etc. The XB256 by Harry Wilhelm is very useful in this case.

I attachment ten or so games to try. Hope to see more games from other members of this TI99 forum. ? 

Have fun!

[GAME] Dadalus (2010)(Walid Maalouli)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Daddie's Hot Rod (1983)(Lantern Software)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] DarkMaze (2010)(Adam Haase)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Grog Maze (ENG-ITA)(1984)(Tesio Riccardo)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Manic Miner II (19xx)(Wegasoft)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Nerm of Bemer (1984)(Compute)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Nibbler (1985)(by MMG - TI99 NewSoft)(Compiled by TMOP).zip [GAME] Nibbler II (1984)(by MMG - TI99 NewSoft)(Compiled by TMOP).zip [GAME] Turtle Hop (1985)(HC)[Compiled by TMOP].zip

Edited by tmop69
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

If your taking request, Miller Graphics put out a chopper lift "clone", with a book called Night Mission.

It was to teach programming and give tips, unfortunately, I felt extended basic, just wasn't fast enough to pull it off.

I need to at least try it with Myarc Extended Basic, but a compiled version would be nice....

14 hours ago, sparkdrummer said:

I like TI’s Poker game and play it fairly often but it is pretty slow. It would be nice to have it compiled. 

Not sure if it's the Poker you mentioned, in any case here is a compiled version of Poker. And also a compiled version of a Strip Poker, but it's not too much fun (you can cheat...). ?

[GAME] Draw Poker (1985)(Mentor Computer Services)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Strip Poker (1985)(Ed Will)[Compiled by TMOP].zip

• Like 2

14 hours ago, dhe said:

Hi,

If your taking request, Miller Graphics put out a chopper lift "clone", with a book called Night Mission.

It was to teach programming and give tips, unfortunately, I felt extended basic, just wasn't fast enough to pull it off.

I need to at least try it with Myarc Extended Basic, but a compiled version would be nice....

Sure, I'm accepting suggestions. Night Mission could be difficult to compile, since it will surely use a lot of float maths for determine distance of sprites, etc. I'll give it a try, but no warranty to be able to compile it correctly.

2 hours ago, sparkdrummer said:

tmop69

Thanks very much for what you are doing.

The game I'd like to see compiled is DRAW POKER. It was released by TI. 

It is attached to this post.

DRAWPOKER 8.88 kB · 4 downloads

Ok, it's compiled and now it's fast enough... ;-) 

[GAME] Draw Poker (1981)(Texas Instruments)[Compiled by TMOP].zip

• Like 4

Other 2 games compiled:

- "Duello Astrale", it's a request from a friend from Italy;

- "Floor 2" (or "Floor Away 2"). This is a great, tough, action/platform game. You need to constantly move/jump to avoid to be soaked up by blue blocks... ? Thanks to Ciro (aka ti99iuc) for discovering this game from his disks collection.

[GAME] Duello Astrale (19xx)(Unknown)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] FloorAway II (19xx)(R. Trueman)[Compiled by TMOP].zip

• Like 4

Flooraway / Second Floor.    Thanks for compiling 2nd Floor!   
The original TI Basic Flooraway was praised by no less than Tony McGovern as the best TI Basic game he had seen, and keen gamer Ray Kazmer played it for four hours straight....     sadly commercial sales were poor and Mr Trueman moved to a more rewarding platform (The Amiga I believe).

Second Floor sold ONE single copy commercially!!!!   I must admit I found it incredibly difficult.

Both games have been available for download from my own web site for several years, so check to see if you may have omitted any TI Basic games from your collection at
http://shawweb.myzen.co.uk/stephen/pc99dsk.htm

There are descriptions, screen shots and reviews of Stainless games in the pages
http://shawweb.myzen.co.uk/stephen/stainless1.htm  up to stainless 17.htm

And if you haven't seen them I will add graphics below from my original catalog for Flooraway (c 1984!) and a more modern shot of Second Floor.   Have fun.  LOts more excellent TI Basic games waiting for compilation....
s

floor.jpg2ndfloor.png

Edited by blackbox
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Tursi said:

Hehe.. I just noticed my old Hero game was in there... that's from 1988, not 2016. In 2016 I released HeroX - the 4k assembly port. ;)

Thanks for the clarification. I've updated it on my copy to have the correct date when I'll release the .zip with all the files. ? 

Have you tried it? Is the speed I've set on the compiled game reasonable for the intended gameplay?

23 minutes ago, blackbox said:

Flooraway / Second Floor.    Thanks for compiling 2nd Floor!   
The original TI Basic Flooraway was praised by no less than Tony McGovern as the best TI Basic game he had seen, and keen gamer Ray Kazmer played it for four hours straight....     sadly commercial sales were poor and Mr Trueman moved to a more rewarding platform (The Amiga I believe).

Second Floor sold ONE single copy commercially!!!!   I must admit I found it incredibly difficult.

Both games have been available for download from my own web site for several years, so check to see if you may have omitted any TI Basic games from your collection at
http://shawweb.myzen.co.uk/stephen/pc99dsk.htm

There are descriptions, screen shots and reviews of Stainless games in the pages
http://shawweb.myzen.co.uk/stephen/stainless1.htm  up to stainless 17.htm

And if you haven't seen them I will add graphics below from my original catalog for Flooraway (c 1984!) and a more modern shot of Second Floor.   Have fun.  LOts more excellent TI Basic games waiting for compilation....
s

floor.jpg2ndfloor.png

Yes, I remember your page! I surely have a .zip with all the files. Good to have photos, since this will now facilitate the compilation process. There are a lot of TI BASIC/XBASIC games that were interesting, but ruined by the slowness of BASIC. Any suggestions on the priorities (best games first)?

• Like 1

Good question.   Anything by R Trueman of course.

Sticking to TI Basic, top of the list would be WALLS AND BRIDGES by TImagination, also their Zombie Mambo (two linked games ZM1 and ZM2).

Other TI Basic games I like- play them first to see if there would be a benefit in compiling-

R Trueman Beetle Walk (or Beetle Run) and Gem Grabber

Not Polyoptics: Ophyss and Addvance

Alistair McMath's GOLF and BOWLS

Malcolm Adams GALACTIC ENCOUNTER

SP Software PENGI

Pewterware CHALLENGE POKER

PS Software WONKAPILLAR

Patrick Strassen ZARQUON

and if Extended Basic with sprites is a possibility, Maple Leaf's HANG GLIDER PILOT.

regards  s

• Like 2

4 hours ago, blackbox said:

Sticking to TI Basic, top of the list would be WALLS AND BRIDGES by TImagination, also their Zombie Mambo (two linked games ZM1 and ZM2).

Other TI Basic games I like- play them first to see if there would be a benefit in compiling-

SP Software PENGI

PS Software WONKAPILLAR

Patrick Strassen ZARQUON

and if Extended Basic with sprites is a possibility, Maple Leaf's HANG GLIDER PILOT.

regards  s

Ok, I've started with Pengi. It really needed additional speed! ? 

[GAME] Pengi (198x)(Stainless Software)[Compiled by TMOP].zip

• Like 5

On 9/22/2020 at 3:07 AM, tmop69 said:

Thanks for the clarification. I've updated it on my copy to have the correct date when I'll release the .zip with all the files. ? 

Have you tried it? Is the speed I've set on the compiled game reasonable for the intended gameplay?

The jumps are way too fast, it's a bit unplayable as a result. I thought maybe you practiced till you liked that speed. ;)

Jumps are done in a tight loop, so that's just one place to slow it down.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2020 at 12:10 AM, Tursi said:

The jumps are way too fast, it's a bit unplayable as a result. I thought maybe you practiced till you liked that speed. ;)

Jumps are done in a tight loop, so that's just one place to slow it down.

Thanks for the feedbacks. An updated version in attachment, that should be fast and playable.

[GAME] Hero V1.1 (1988)(Mike Brent aka Tursi)[Compiled by TMOP].zip

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 12:46 PM, blackbox said:

SP Software PENGI

PS Software WONKAPILLAR

Patrick Strassen ZARQUON

regards  s

Here we have:

- Beetle Run

- Wonka Pillar

- The Wall

The original code for "Beetle Run" has a bug on line 455 ON WA GOTO 800,900,1,1000,1,1200 since lines 1 and 1200 are not present. Anyway it seems to work correctly (as the BASIC version), however the compiled version could crash if the code jumps to one of these missing lines, but it's the same with the BASIC version (no crash, but error message).

The "WALLS AND BRIDGES" compiles correctly, but crashes after the initial screen (illegal opcode). I've not found the instruction that is causing this, maybe I'll write a post in the Compiler thread to see if the author is able to find the problem.

The "ZARQUON" I've found on your site is a modified version that has some ML code that is incompatible with the XB256. Do you have the original BASIC version?

[GAME] Beetle Run (1982)(R. Trueman)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Wonka Pillar (1982)(PS Software)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] The Wall (198x)(Stainless Software)[Compiled by TMOP].zip

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tmop69 said:

Thanks for the feedbacks. An updated version in attachment, that should be fast and playable.

[GAME] Hero V1.1 (1988)(Mike Brent aka Tursi)[Compiled by TMOP].zip 8.32 kB · 3 downloads

Thanks... I played all the way through this time. I noticed that the death sound and game over sounds are missing their delays and end up basically being a "boop" instead of a falling sound. And the win routine is full of similar tight loops, but it crashes after the very first one. (The character is supposed to run down the ladder, run left to the baddie, punch him, advance to the control board (it's a control board), be confused, punch that, and run back right and up the ladder to the girl). All those steps would also have delay loops. Can't say why it crashes.

It's still a good effort, I wouldn't be too worried. 

(Simple cheat code - just turn all the enemy sprites transparent. Will still die if you fall or walk off the screen. In the Classic99 debugger, enter "v62e=0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000" (52 zeros)). Makes it easier to get through it all.)

Edited by Tursi

4 hours ago, Tursi said:

And the win routine is full of similar tight loops, but it crashes after the very first one. (The character is supposed to run down the ladder, run left to the baddie, punch him, advance to the control board (it's a control board), be confused, punch that, and run back right and up the ladder to the girl). All those steps would also have delay loops. Can't say why it crashes.

List the BASIC program and give me an idea where the problem lies. I'll take a look.