IGNORED

TI BASIC/TI EXTENDED BASIC Games that are worth to be compiled...

tmop69

2 hours ago, senior_falcon said:

This is what I see in the BASIC version. The version in the video is the one that uses the DEFs.

This matches your description of the faulty behavior in the compiled version. If so then the compiled code is just duplicating the BASIC code.

!ROBOBUG.GIF.9d8dd06efe0c52115177e89033c14663.GIF

ok, I've restarted with the original TI BASIC game (in attachment), load with CALL FILES(0) on Classic 99. Run it to see the correct number sequence on the deactivation.

Apply this minimal set of changes to remove the DEF and be able to use the joystick and you'll see the bug on the video on the compiled code:

10 CALL CLEAR :: CALL LOAD(-1,7)

30 REM
820 R=INT(15*RND)+3    
830 C=INT(26*RND)+3
1320 R=INT(19*RND)+3    
1330 C=INT(28*RND)+3

1660 CALL JOYST(1,X,Y) :: CALL LINK("SYNC")

2200 C=INT((SK-2)*RND)+3
2260 RM=INT((21*RND)+3)-1    
2270 CM=INT((30*RND)+3)-1

ROBOPODS-B.zip

• Like 2

Rich has said that 99.9% of BASIC programs will run in RXB. This program is one of the .1%. It runs fine in TI BASIC, but when you run it in eiher XB 2.8 G.E.M. or RXB 2015 the problem is there just as you describe and as shown in my video. This is a bit of a mystery to me, since RXB and XB GEM simply adjust the limit checks to allow characters in sets 15 and 16 to be used. 

The compiler is working properly in that the compiled code works the same as the XB program. The problem is caused by differences between BASIC and XB.

Edited by senior_falcon

Found it!

It has to do with the way CALL CHAR handles strings longer than 16 characters. In BASIC only the first 16 characters are used for the pattern. In XB, if there are more than 16 characters they are used to define the next character(s). Test this in BASIC and XB to see the difference

10 PRINT "ABCDEFG"
20 M$="FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF"
30 FOR I=1 TO 8
50 M$="00"&M$
55 CALL CHAR(65,M$)
60 NEXT I
65 PRINT "DONE"
70 GOTO 70

In your program line 2510 is the problem:

2510 M$="00"&M$    

This should be:

2510 M$="00"&SEG$(M$,1,14)         that will keep the string from growing longer than 16 characters long

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, senior_falcon said:

Found it!

It has to do with the way CALL CHAR handles strings longer than 16 characters. In BASIC only the first 16 characters are used for the pattern. In XB, if there are more than 16 characters they are used to define the next character(s). Test this in BASIC and XB to see the difference

10 PRINT "ABCDEFG"
20 M$="FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF"
30 FOR I=1 TO 8
50 M$="00"&M$
55 CALL CHAR(65,M$)
60 NEXT I
65 PRINT "DONE"
70 GOTO 70

In your program line 2510 is the problem:

2510 M$="00"&M$    

This should be:

2510 M$="00"&SEG$(M$,1,14)         that will keep the string from growing longer than 16 characters long

Great! Many thanks! It's a real interesting behaviour.

In attachment the fixed 1.1 version! ? 

[GAME] Robopods V1.1 (1983)(Virgin Games)[Compiled by TMOP].zip

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2020 at 12:46 PM, blackbox said:

Good question.   Anything by R Trueman of course.

Sticking to TI Basic, top of the list would be WALLS AND BRIDGES by TImagination, also their Zombie Mambo (two linked games ZM1 and ZM2).

Other TI Basic games I like- play them first to see if there would be a benefit in compiling-

R Trueman Beetle Walk (or Beetle Run) and Gem Grabber

Not Polyoptics: Ophyss and Addvance

Alistair McMath's GOLF and BOWLS

Malcolm Adams GALACTIC ENCOUNTER

SP Software PENGI

Pewterware CHALLENGE POKER

PS Software WONKAPILLAR

Patrick Strassen ZARQUON

and if Extended Basic with sprites is a possibility, Maple Leaf's HANG GLIDER PILOT.

regards  s

Do you have the TI BASIC version of GEM GRABBER? Thanks.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ti99iuc said:

this one in XB is not good for you?

GEMGRABBER 11.13 kB · 1 download

The XB version has a SUB C with a CALL LINK to a POKEV sub. Not sure if it's just fix for CALL COLOR and can be simply reverted back to it. With the TI BASIC version it's just faster to check this. This is the reason of the request.

• Like 2

Ray Kazmer did a great job converting GEM GRABBER to XB - sadly I don't have the pure TIB version.    I attach a disk with the Kazmer version of GEMGRABBER  plus file GEMG where I have removed the machine code routines and removed the CALL A which is not required.  I have also amended the user subroutines CALL B to now use CALL CHAR and CALL C to now use CALL COLOR.

I don't know if the compiler can cope with user subroutines, but the program would need extensive rewriting to get rid of all the CALL B and CALL C calls.  There is also use of DISPLAY AT and multi statement lines. 

The DSK file also includes Barry Traver's UNBASHER which I tried to use to break up the multi statement lines but it failed to work for me so they remain multi statement lines!  s

gemgrab.dsk

Edited by blackbox

1 hour ago, blackbox said:

I don't know if the compiler can cope with user subroutines, but the program would need extensive rewriting to get rid of all the CALL B and CALL C calls.  There is also use of DISPLAY AT and multi statement lines. 

The DSK file also includes Barry Traver's UNBASHER which I tried to use to break up the multi statement lines but it failed to work for me so they remain multi statement lines!

I don't understand the reason for converting this game back into TI BASIC. The compiler can handle almost all XB statements, including user subroutines. (but not DEF)

4 minutes ago, senior_falcon said:

I don't understand the reason for converting this game back into TI BASIC. The compiler can handle almost all XB statements, including user subroutines. (but not DEF)

I'm using XB256 to easily manage the delays (SYNC and DELAY) that should not be compatible with other assembler code. 

Edited by tmop69

4 hours ago, blackbox said:

Ray Kazmer did a great job converting GEM GRABBER to XB - sadly I don't have the pure TIB version.    I attach a disk with the Kazmer version of GEMGRABBER  plus file GEMG where I have removed the machine code routines and removed the CALL A which is not required.  I have also amended the user subroutines CALL B to now use CALL CHAR and CALL C to now use CALL COLOR.

The DSK file also includes Barry Traver's UNBASHER which I tried to use to break up the multi statement lines but it failed to work for me so they remain multi statement lines!  s

gemgrab.dsk 90 kB · 2 downloads

ok, here we have the compiled version of Gem Grabber, a nice boulder dash slyte game. 

[GAME] Gem Grabber (198x)(R. Trueman)[Compiled by TMOP].zip

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

Please let me know if any of these get converted to cartridge BIN format, I'll be more than happy to update the FR99/FG99 repository.

All are in 8.BIN format, ready to be used in FR99/FG99 with 32K. These should be also working in MiSTer / Mist (Mistica) / SIDI FPGAs. I hadn't time to test on FG99/MiSTer, but I do not expect any issues. ? 

I'm getting close to the 50th compiled game and so I'll release a pack with all the files. Please, just wait some more days in order to inlcude this .zip, instead of the single files.

Moreover, I'm planning to prepare an Excel file to track the status of tests on the various compiled games. I like quantity, but also quality and I need the support of those that have played these games to verify if all is ok. I cannot extensively test all of them and something could have been messed up during the process.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Now we have these new compiled games:

Escape The Mugger and Nuclear Disaster from Virgin Games;

Santa And The Goblins from Intrigue Software;

- Il Serpente Divoratore, another Snake like game in italian (but you do not need to understand it to play...);

- 3D-Labyrinth by Marc Bruening and Wolfgang Bertsch. Please, note the "please, wait 2 minutes" warning for lab generation (from the original BASIC version) and compare to how much is required now... ;-) 

Have fun!

[GAME] Escape The Mugger (1984)(Virgin Games)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Nuclear Disaster (1984)(Virgin Games)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Santa And The Goblins (1983)(Intrigue Software)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Il Serpente Divoratore (19xx)(Francomputer)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] 3D-Labyrinth (1983)(Marc Bruening & Wolfgang Bertsch)[Compiled by TMOP].zip

• Like 4

20 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

If you did Archeodroid, you should try Robochase, too.

Let's start the week with this nice game: Robochase! I like the now increasing pressure and speed when the number of robots is decreasing... 

This is the #49 compiled game. ?  I have to think for a great #50 for the compilation. Suggestions are welcome! ?

[GAME] RoboChase V2.13.1 (1984)(Greg Vaughan)[Compiled by TMOP].zip

• Like 2