IGNORED

TI BASIC/TI EXTENDED BASIC Games that are worth to be compiled...

tmop69

1 hour ago, blackbox said:

ZARQUON- I posted a version without machine code way back in post 39 in this thread but I can't find a compiled version- is it not possible?

Patrick!!!  The author of Zarquon was one of the first- and one of the most successful UK TI programmers, way way back...  welcome to the fold.

Patricks programs were:
 1- posted here but not yet compiled? Zarquon

2 I have and can post here- Patscram Mission

3- missing believed lost- anyone have a file?
      3D Race;  Man and Monsters; Night Flight; Planet Destroyer

s

I've started the Zarquon compilation, but not completed and published. I do not remember the reason. I'll check it again. I do not have any of the others listed above. 

• Like 1

OK here is a disk with PATSCRAM MISSION by Patrick Strassen which was loosely part of a trilogy of programs based on the adventures of the good ship Patscram.

I have added to this disk a very early Basic program by Dave Hamilton and Mike O'Regan - Mike was a very early UK contributor to the TI UK scene but dropped out fairly early. The program is "Pen the Pig" where you have to -erm- pen the pig. Pigs are not as docile as sheep.

regards

s

patscram.dsk

• Like 3

Weekly updates... ? 

New compiled games:

- Othello. YACOG (Yet Another Compiled Othello Game)... Yes, I know, but this has a timer to add some pressure to the player! ? It's a nice feature and has also the possibility to have the CPU to play vs itself. No more compiled Othello games, I promise.

- Void. A nice action game! Really difficult. I made some changes to adapt to the new speed and added a "trainer" (99 lives) to be able to play some more levels (tested up to screen 8).

Updates:

- Draw Poker, TI Poker, Strip Poker, Santa And The Goblins. Minor changes;

- Escape: added joystick support, some tunings in the gameplay;

Caterpillar Crawl: added joystick support, some fixes/improvements;

- Manic Miner II: some fixes/improvements in the gameplay;

- Turtle Hop: added joystick support, some fixes.

Have fun!

[GAME] Void (1983)(Gregory Kean)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Othello-T (1981)(Richard J. Mirus)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Caterpillar Crawl V1.1 (19xx)(Unknown)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Draw Poker V1.1 (1981)(Texas Instruments)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Draw Poker V1.1 (1985)(Mentor Computer Services)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Escape V1.1 (2019)(Bleepbit)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Manic Miner II V1.1 (19xx)(Wegasoft)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Santa And The Goblins v1.1 (1983)(Intrigue Software)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Strip Poker V1.1 (1985)(Ed Will)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Turtle Hop V1.1 (1985)(HC)[Compiled by TMOP].zip TI99_Compiled_Games_List_V1.2.5.xlsx

• Like 8

That Othello program is much stronger than mine. It got two decisive victories: 50 to 14 and I think the first was even worse. One minor defect is that the rules state that black always goes first. In this case black=red and white=green with a white center. When the computer moves first it moves white. But this is probably not worth worrying about.

(edit) Playing as a human against the computer I won 47 to 17.

Edited by senior_falcon
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, senior_falcon said:

That Othello program is much stronger than mine. It got two decisive victories: 50 to 14 and I think the first was even worse. One minor defect is that the rules state that black always goes first. In this case black=red and white=green with a white center. When the computer moves first it moves white. But this is probably not worth worrying about.

(edit) Playing as a human against the computer I won 47 to 17.

Have you compared your Othello with the original TI module? How strong is the TI module?

Other updates:

Spider Bop: added joystick support, other fixes/changes;

Il Serpente Divoratore: added joystick support, other fixes/changes;

- Grog Maze: some fixes. Note that the Italian and English version have some differences in the maze;

Mister Jump: corrected the initial help page that is now indicating the right keys to move. Improved gameplay.

[GAME] Spider Bop V1.1 (1984)(Unknown)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Il Serpente Divoratore V1.1 (19xx)(Francomputer)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Grog Maze V1.1 (ENG-ITA)(1984)(Tesio Riccardo)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Mister Jump V1.1 (19xx)(E. Cambi, A. Bertoni)[Compiled by TMOP].zip

TI99_Compiled_Games_List_V1.2.6.xlsx

Edited by tmop69
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, tmop69 said:

Have you compared your Othello with the original TI module? How strong is the TI module?

The TI module is much stronger than any of these. I have no trouble beating any of the compiled XB othello programs. Last night I played the TI module on level 6. (It goes up to 8) It wasn't even close. I had less than 20 pieces at the end of the game.

• Like 2

A couple of updates:

- Hero. Some minor improvements/fixes. Added option to select different speeds;

- Flooraway. Some improvements/fixes for animations, gameplay, etc. Added keyboard version of the game in addition to joystick.

Flooraway II. Some improvements/fixes for animations, gameplay, etc. also for the second chapter of the game. This is a really difficult game, so I've added a "trainer" mode with 99 lives and the possibility to select the map to start with. ;-) 

[GAME] Hero V1.3 (1988)(Mike Brent aka Tursi)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] FloorAway V1.1 (198x)(R. Trueman)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] FloorAway II V1.1 (198x)(R. Trueman)[Compiled by TMOP].zip TI99_Compiled_Games_List_V1.2.7.xlsx

• Like 6

A couple of new compiled games for the weekend:

- Atlantis from Intrigue. This is a request from another thread. Thanks to @Tursi for removing the external data file. The game is now fast! ? 

- Rescue from Apex Trading. A simple game concept, but can provide some minutes of fun.

[GAME] Atlantis (1984)(Intrigue Software)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Rescue (1982)(Apex Trading LTD)[Compiled by TMOP].zip TI99_Compiled_Games_List_V1.2.8.xlsx

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Asmusr said:

Well done. With all those games you're able to compile, I wonder how you get around the limitations of the compiler, especially the lack of floating point?

Thanks Rasmus! ?

Of the 120+ compiled right now, only 10/15% are using the floating point. In some cases it's used just to test if for example a RND value is between a range, so this is an easy patch. In some other cases I've transformed the math to have the same behaviour, using only the integers.

The problem is to understand the logic used in some of the games. We know that BASIC is a great "spaghetti code" generator. Moreover short variable names, no comments, optimizations to save space and bad code practicies are not helping. ?
I would like to have compiled versions of the various Star Trek, Hammurabi, etc., but it would require to rewrite a lot of code. So these will not be compiled unless someone is willing to try to remove all the floating point math.

Luckily, the BASIC/XB library has a lot of game that I have still to try to see if are worth to be compiled. ;-) 

• Like 3

One great thing Senior Falcon did with the compiler in recent times, was to let us use statements such as this;
100 IF Y>248 THEN Y=248

Whereas before, we would have to write it like this;
100 IF Y>248 THEN 105 ELSE 110

105 Y=248

110 rest of code....

It certainly cuts down on a lot of changes.  I'm really enjoying these compiled games.  They make me want to play them again, some were great but unbearably slow, and one example of that was my own game "Billy Ball Resurrection".  I don't know why I released such a slow XB game! It's playable now thanks to TMOP69.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tmop69 said:

A couple of new compiled games for the weekend:

- Atlantis from Intrigue. This is a request from another thread. Thanks to @Tursi for removing the external data file. The game is now fast! ? 

Something is wrong with the map generation in Atlantis, unfortunately. I didn't reverse the map generation code, but it's based on the ES$() array, which of course is the one with all the CHR$() characters. As far as I could tell the BASIC version was okay, maybe something went wrong in the port to asm...

You can see the difference on the first screen, so it's quick to test at least.

10 hours ago, Retrospect said:

One great thing Senior Falcon did with the compiler in recent times, was to let us use statements such as this;
100 IF Y>248 THEN Y=248

Whereas before, we would have to write it like this;
100 IF Y>248 THEN 105 ELSE 110

105 Y=248

110 rest of code....

It certainly cuts down on a lot of changes.  I'm really enjoying these compiled games.  They make me want to play them again, some were great but unbearably slow, and one example of that was my own game "Billy Ball Resurrection".  I don't know why I released such a slow XB game! It's playable now thanks to TMOP69.

Thanks @Retrospect for creating the game! ;-) 

The compiler can provide the extra speed needed, however the memory limits of BASIC have an impact on longevity, expecially for level based games. Whereas other games (e.g. Robopod, Snake-like games, etc.) fortunately do not have this problem, due to different gameplay.

The good news are that there are still a lot of BASIC/XB games that can be compiled! I would like to have someone else helping in this process.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DuaneAL said:

Did Cars and Carcasses get converted?  I have memories of loading that in via cassette back in the day and if I remember it correctly, it would be quite challenging when compiled. Sorry if I missed it somewhere.

Not yet compiled. Just quickly checked the code and looks like quite fast to convert, so we can expect to have it very soon. ? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tursi said:

Something is wrong with the map generation in Atlantis, unfortunately. I didn't reverse the map generation code, but it's based on the ES$() array, which of course is the one with all the CHR$() characters. As far as I could tell the BASIC version was okay, maybe something went wrong in the port to asm...

You can see the difference on the first screen, so it's quick to test at least.

Ok, I've just checked. I've run your BASIC version in RXB and noticed that the first screen has small changes each time you run the game. It's the same on the compiled version and on the XB256 version under RXB. However, the first screen is really too much different in the number of rocks. I have to recheck the various DEFs that I had expanded since not directly supported by the compiler.

4 hours ago, tmop69 said:

Ok, I've just checked. I've run your BASIC version in RXB and noticed that the first screen has small changes each time you run the game. It's the same on the compiled version and on the XB256 version under RXB. However, the first screen is really too much different in the number of rocks. I have to recheck the various DEFs that I had expanded since not directly supported by the compiler.

It does appear the bug is in my side... the TI BASIC version always starts with this screen, while my converted version is more random. I'll take a little look at the screen generation code and see where I messed up. :)

image.thumb.png.3d1e7899bfdb8435ad381a0fe64f0a8a.png

((Edit: found a missing bit of data - check the original thread))

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, Tursi said:

It does appear the bug is in my side... the TI BASIC version always starts with this screen, while my converted version is more random. I'll take a little look at the screen generation code and see where I messed up. :)

ok, I'll try the new version.

I've checked on my side and seems that the DEFs were all expanded correctly (I do not see anywhere the one on line 200, but is the same in the original BASIC code).

1 hour ago, Tursi said:

ok, the problem it's not related to your missing data. The XB256 version running on RBX has the same wrong initial screen of its compiled version. So you'll have to restar again from your version and check the DEF that is causing the problem one by one.

@Tursi ok, I've found the problem, but not the solution.

In attachment there is your code with all the DEFs expanded. The problem is:

170 DEF YO(Q)=ASC(SEG$(L6$,Q,1))

and line:

3950 H1=H1+(YO(F+2)/100)

That, to be compiled, has to be changed in:

3950 H1=H1+(ASC(SEG$(L6$,F+2,1))/100)

If you run in RXB, the first screen is displayed correctly, but not if you compile it. If you change line 3950 with:

3950 H1=H1+INT(ASC(SEG$(L6$,F+2,1))/100)

and run it on RXB, you'll get the same behaviour of the compiled version on the initial screen. ? 

So now, how to fix it?

AT

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tmop69 said:

@Tursi ok, I've found the problem, but not the solution.

In attachment there is your code with all the DEFs expanded. The problem is:

170 DEF YO(Q)=ASC(SEG$(L6$,Q,1))

and line:

3950 H1=H1+(YO(F+2)/100)

That, to be compiled, has to be changed in:

3950 H1=H1+(ASC(SEG$(L6$,F+2,1))/100)

If you run in RXB, the first screen is displayed correctly, but not if you compile it. If you change line 3950 with:

3950 H1=H1+INT(ASC(SEG$(L6$,F+2,1))/100)

and run it on RXB, you'll get the same behaviour of the compiled version on the initial screen. ? 

So now, how to fix it?

AT 14.63 kB · 5 downloads

That makes sense, as the compiler is expecting to use Integer math. . .not Floating Point.