IGNORED

TI BASIC/TI EXTENDED BASIC Games that are worth to be compiled...

tmop69

3 hours ago, tmop69 said:

Could you elaborate? Is it just a "feeling" or there are evidences? It's impossible to do any debugging with so generic feedbacks!

Anyway, the code does not have any float math, any division that can introduce floats, no integers that can exceed the limits of the compiler, the RNDs are already compatible with floats limits. So, the game engine should not have been compromised by the compilation. The main effort on this code was done on the UI to add the appropriate delays for inputs, messages, etc. after the boost of speed added by the compiler.

The computer made certain moves that went against the directives I set up for the AI. One glaring example was that it abandoned the center rosette while other move options were available. I had never seen that behavior in all my plays against the AI previously and it is explicitely coded against . This is odd because as you stated there were no changes to the game engine. I'll do some more testing...

Regarding play speed, the only noticeable thing was that the sprites moved a little faster. I don't think this is the type of game that benefits much from compilation sadly. 

18 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

The computer made certain moves that went against the directives I set up for the AI. One glaring example was that it abandoned the center rosette while other move options were available. I had never seen that behavior in all my plays against the AI previously and it is explicitely coded against .

ok, what are the lines in which it's checked this? So I can check starting from that portion of the code. Thanks.

On 9/22/2021 at 6:22 AM, tmop69 said:

ok, what are the lines in which it's checked this? So I can check starting from that portion of the code. Thanks.

So I went and checked the code, and actually there is a specific situation where moving out of the center rosette is allowed if there are 3 or more own tokens on the board already and no alternative move is available or if a capture from the center rosette is possible. A new token will be introduced only if no move is possible including a rosette move.

I don't recall if that is what happened during my testing of the compiled version, but I bet it was as there is nothing in that code section that would be affected by compilation.

False alarm :)

Edited by Vorticon
  • Like 5

17 hours ago, tmop69 said:

New game:

- Tank: read the description on TI99IUC (Tank);

------------------------------------

Total compiled games: 384.

[GAME] Tank (1983)(Kevin Dahlhausen)[Compiled by TMOP].zip 8.73 kB · 7 downloads

This game begs for an AI ? It will be tricky because the action is not supposed to be turn based but rather pseudo-simultaneous.

Quick algorithm:

• Fire if enemy tank found in line of sight. (since firing quickly is crucial, this has to be the first thing the AI tank does)
  • Check enemy input and process 1 input
  • If fired at enemy or fired upon, move to a lateral square if possible to get out of line of fire. Otherwise move one square towards enemy, with preference for trees since they add to the score.
  • Check enemy input and process 1 input
  • Check score for game end
  • Go back to top

Edited by Vorticon
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

This game begs for an AI ? It will be tricky because the action is not supposed to be turn based but rather pseudo-simultaneous.

Yes, I surely agree that it will be great to have to fight vs an AI, since it's quite difficult to find another human player... ? 

Will you try to add it, since you already defined an initial algorithm? ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tmop69 said:

Yes, I surely agree that it will be great to have to fight vs an AI, since it's quite difficult to find another human player... ? 

Will you try to add it, since you already defined an initial algorithm? ?

I'll put it on my to do list but no promises as I am neck deep in other projects and work...

• Like 4

New game:

- Captain Scram: added joystick. Description on TI99IUC (Captain Scram) and original thread here (https://atariage.com/forums/topic/283539-new-basic-game-captain-scram/?fbclid=IwAR2wkJ2SXIaqjbFEV_-IGsjHrpfSvcQGpTZGWkQ4SPHRqmkl4NJkGC-IDe8);

Total compiled games: 386.

[GAME] Captain Scram (2018)(Tibasic)[Compiled by TMOP].zip

• Like 8

New game:

- Meteors: description on TI99IUC site (Meteors) and original thread on AA (https://atariage.com/forums/topic/218081-meteors/?fbclid=IwAR1dIWLPlprYiaCn3jbgxDxBhsIOo8oRI-G-3myJbQ7HsoBJ9aah0VIvW2A). Added joystick support.

Total compiled games: 388.

[GAME] Meteors (2013)(Manic1975)[Compiled by TMOP].zip

• Like 9

New game:

Greedy Green Grabbers: description on TI99IUC site (Greedy Green Grabbers). Added joystick support and fixed some gfx color glitches.

Total compiled games: 389.

[GAME] Greedy Green Grabbers (1984)(Paul W. Dickinson)[Compiled by TMOP].zip

Edited by tmop69
Added correct file!
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, retronerd said:

So, I have S * A * M (Surface to Air Missile) working in basic but I'm not sure how to compile it in Classic99 (run on a Mac). Happy to post the text file and a compiled copy if someone can walk me through that. Thanks!

SAM_title.png

SAM_gameplay_screen-1.png

SAM_victory.png

Please, post the disk or FIAD and I'll give it a check if is compilable.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tmop69 said:

Please, post the disk or FIAD and I'll give it a check if is compilable.

Here's the file in TI Basic - I don't know how to compile it using Classic99. It works by booting the emulator, selecting TI Basic, using the Edit menu's paste feature, and entering RUN after the code pastes in. It would be nice if it's compiled to not have to wait for the paste to happen.

ti99-SAM_basic.txt

• Like 2

On 10/2/2021 at 3:13 AM, tmop69 said:

New game:

S.A.M. - Surface to Air Missiles: read the description on TI99IUC page (SAM). Added joystick (fire button) support.

Very cool and thank you! It runs/plays so much faster now that it's not running in TI BASIC. Brings back a lot of nostalgic memories from growing up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A really nice game for the weekend. It's an example of why BASIC games must be compiled (thanks to @senior_falcon for the compiler)!

The labyrint creation is taking 15 minutes in XB and just 1 minute now (and I've added some frames of delay to show the blinking message at bottom of screen during the creation of the maze).

Also the gameplay is improved by speed. As usual I've added the joystick support (in 2021 it's mandatory to play without the keyboard!). Some other minor improvements added (eg. the timer is now visible).

- Wazes: description on TI99IUC page (Wazes). This is the updated version of 2013.

Have fun!

Total compiled games: 396.

[GAME] Wazes (2013)(GratedTopping)[Compiled by TMOP].zip

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1